    got this msg.:

    Unable to Start Windows x64 because Config.Sys is either missing or Corrupt.

    Problem solved after doing a FIXMBR from recovery console.

    Gary Ritter, Jun 13, 2005

  2. Is this a dual boot installation?
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 13, 2005

  3. Gary Ritter

    Gary MCSE Guest

    Yes, it is a dual boot with two hard drives.
    Its set up to default to the 32 bit OS and has been working flawlessly for
    weeks now.

    Gary MCSE, Jun 13, 2005
  4. Gary Ritter wrote:
    > I am not sure what happened, but when I tried to boot to the x64 today, I
    > got this msg.:
    >
    > Unable to Start Windows x64 because Config.Sys is either missing or Corrupt.
    >
    > Problem solved after doing a FIXMBR from recovery console.

    Is that what it really says? That it's missing an old MS-DOS file?
    Are you sure it wasn't missing something like
    "C:\Windows\System32\Config\System?"

    While written for 32-bit versions of WinXP, these KB Articles should
    still provide the necessary information:

    How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry that Prevents Windows XP from
    Starting
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545

    Once you've recovered, you might want to look here, as well:

    How to Troubleshoot Registry Corruption Issues
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822705

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Bruce Chambers, Jun 14, 2005
  5. Gary Ritter

    Gary MCSE Guest

    Yeah Bruce, that was the exact message Verbatim.
    I thought it strange too, and the Recovery Console fix was: FIXMBR.

    Gary

    Gary MCSE, Jun 14, 2005
  6. Gary Ritter

    John Barnes Guest

    Just curious, which drive is you MBR on? the x64 or x86 drive

    John Barnes, Jun 14, 2005