    Offset:0000a95e

    Thanks in advance to all who respond.

    FF
    Falcon Freak, Feb 26, 2004

  2. Falcon Freak

    Falcon Freak Guest

    And I can't find either of the listed files on my Windows XP Home Edition CD
    which came with my computer

    Falcon Freak, Feb 26, 2004

  3. Falcon Freak

    Travis S. Guest

    Try to go to the Add/Remove programs and have IE reinstall to fix damaged
    components. Otherwise, upgrade to the later version of IE, if you're on 5.0
    .... this usually fixes the problem.

    Travis S., Feb 26, 2004
  4. I would suggest, if you haven't done it, that you give the system a thorough
    anti-virus and anti-spyware check. Something killed it ..

    eric the seal, Feb 26, 2004
  5. Falcon Freak

    Dan Shea Guest

    On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 11:22:45 GMT, "Falcon Freak" <>
    wrote:

    >Can anybody help? This problem has only shown up in last 24 hours. I am
    >unable to run IE. When I go to start the program it immediately comes up
    >with the box "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to
    >close.We are sorry for the inconvenience".
    >
    >When I hit the send error report button the program just hangs up. When I
    >look at the fault details it says the following:
    >
    >AppName:iexplore.exe
    >AppVer:6.0.2800.1106
    >ModName: winshow.dll
    >ModVer: 1.0.0.6
    >Offset:0000a95e

    Downloaded and installed anything lately? You've got some malware on
    your system.

    http://www.pestpatrol.com/PestInfo/w/winshow.asp
    http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=TROJ_WINSHOW.A&VSect=T

    Pest Patrol claims to be able to get rid of it. I suggest you also
    download, install, and run AdAware and SpyBot. Where there's one,
    there's usually several.

    Cheers,
    dan
    Dan Shea, Feb 26, 2004
  6. Falcon Freak

    Unknown Guest

    To repair IE and OE see KB article Q318378 at Microsoft.

    Unknown, Feb 26, 2004
  7. Falcon Freak

    Falcon Freak Guest

    Um, er, I don't have any anti virus or spyware software. Is it too late to
    install such software on an inffected computer? Would it be better just to
    srub the hard disk and the start afresh?

    FF

    Falcon Freak, Feb 26, 2004
  8. Falcon Freak

    trout Guest

    Falcon Freak wrote:

    > Can anybody help? This problem has only shown up in last 24 hours. I
    > am unable to run IE. When I go to start the program it immediately
    > comes up with the box "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem
    > and needs to close.We are sorry for the inconvenience".
    >
    > When I hit the send error report button the program just hangs up.
    > When I look at the fault details it says the following:
    >
    > AppName:iexplore.exe
    > AppVer:6.0.2800.1106
    > ModName: winshow.dll
    > ModVer: 1.0.0.6
    > Offset:0000a95e
    >
    > Thanks in advance to all who respond.
    >
    > FF

    What's your OS; and *do* you have another browser to look at all
    those sites that were so kindly provided?
    --
    "Thought I'd better ask."
    trout, Feb 26, 2004
  9. Falcon Freak

    Falcon Freak Guest

    OS - Windows XP Home Edition
    Other browers - no

    Is there a way to get other browers on-line without Internet Explorer?

    FF

    Falcon Freak, Feb 27, 2004
  10. Falcon Freak

    trout Guest

    Falcon Freak wrote:

    > OS - Windows XP Home Edition
    > Other browers - no
    >
    > Is there a way to get other browers on-line without Internet Explorer?
    >
    > FF

    Um, maybe. But maybe better to try a couple of things, first. Have
    you tried to run a System File Check? From the Microsoft article:

    "Use the System File Checker tool to scan all of the protected files on
    your computer:
    Click Start, and then click Run.
    In the Open box, type sfc /scannow, and then click OK.

    Note that you may be prompted for the Windows XP or Windows XP Service
    Pack 1 installation media.
    Test to determine if the issue is resolved. If the issue is resolved,
    skip the remaining steps. If the issue is not resolved, continue to the
    next step."

    If you haven't; try this first.

    trout, Feb 27, 2004
  11. Falcon Freak

    Dan Shea Guest

    On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 09:24:09 GMT, "Falcon Freak" <>
    wrote:

    >OS - Windows XP Home Edition
    >Other browers - no
    >
    >Is there a way to get other browers on-line without Internet Explorer?

    If you have an FTP client, yes. ftp.netscape.com, anonymous login.
    Or get somebody to ICQ you Firefox.

    Cheers,
    dan
    Dan Shea, Feb 27, 2004
  12. Falcon Freak

    trout Guest

    Dan Shea wrote:

    > On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 09:24:09 GMT, "Falcon Freak" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> OS - Windows XP Home Edition
    >> Other browers - no
    >>
    >> Is there a way to get other browers on-line without Internet
    >> Explorer?

    > If you have an FTP client, yes. ftp.netscape.com, anonymous login.
    > Or get somebody to ICQ you Firefox.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > dan

    I was thinking 'Off By One'. The basic zipped .exe is 457 KB. How's
    that compare to Firefox? Or are you thinking beyond emergency measures?
    --
    "Just wondering."
    trout, Feb 27, 2004
  13. Falcon Freak

    Falcon Freak Guest

    Ran the systems check as per your instuctions. I found nothing. It fixed
    nothing. IE still will not work.

    Looks like I have to scrub the HDD, reinstall everthing and invest in some
    anti-virus software

    FF

    Falcon Freak, Feb 27, 2004
  14. Falcon Freak

    trout Guest

    Falcon Freak wrote:

    > Ran the systems check as per your instuctions. I found nothing. It
    > fixed nothing. IE still will not work.
    >
    > Looks like I have to scrub the HDD, reinstall everthing and invest in
    > some anti-virus software
    >
    > FF

    If it's an option that isn't too painful; then it *might* be the way
    to go. There are always more options, like getting another browser, and
    downloading other programs/updates, etc; but a clean start may end-up
    being quicker (and more effective).
    Just be sure to get to Windows Update straight away after the
    reinstall, and get all available service packs and critical updates.
    There are many good, free options for anti-virus software, firewalls,
    etc. but I guess there's not much point in posting them now (they're
    commonly mentioned in the group, anyway).
    Good luck to you.

    trout, Feb 27, 2004
  15. Falcon Freak

    Dan Shea Guest

    On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 14:08:25 -0800, "trout" <> wrote:

    > I was thinking 'Off By One'. The basic zipped .exe is 457 KB. How's
    >that compare to Firefox? Or are you thinking beyond emergency measures?

    I came in late and missed the bit about emergency measures. Firefox
    is substantially larger than that. :)

    "Picking up stumpies", as we say around here,
    dan
    Dan Shea, Feb 27, 2004
  16. Falcon Freak

    Dan Shea Guest

    On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 22:19:52 GMT, "Falcon Freak" <>
    wrote:

    >Ran the systems check as per your instuctions. I found nothing. It fixed
    >nothing. IE still will not work.
    >
    >Looks like I have to scrub the HDD, reinstall everthing and invest in some
    >anti-virus software

    My good man...

    You probably don't have to format your hard drive. You definitely
    NEED to invest in some anti-virus software. In any event, you need to
    get rid of this winshow.dll file. This is not that difficult to do.

    First, boot up in safe mode, find it, and delete it manually. You may
    also search for winlink.dll and delete that too.

    Next (taken from the Symantec website):

    Click Start, and then click Run. (The Run dialog box appears.)
    Type regedit

    Then click OK. (The Registry Editor opens.)

    Navigate to and delete the keys:

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{6CC1C918-AE8B-4373-A5B4-28BA1851E39A}

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WinShow.ViewSource

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WinShow.ViewSource.1

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\CLSID\{6CC1C918-AE8B-4373-A5B4-28BA1851E39A}

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\WinShow.ViewSource

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\WinShow.ViewSource.1

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Browser
    Helper Objects\{6CC1C918-AE8B-4373-A5B4-28BA1851E39A}

    Exit the Registry Editor. Reboot.

    Prior to mucking about in the registry, it is often advisable to back
    up said registry. If you wish to do this and don't know how, let us
    know.

    Cheers,
    dan
    Dan Shea, Feb 28, 2004
  17. Falcon Freak

    Falcon Freak Guest

    Um, how do I boot up in safe mode?

    FF

    Falcon Freak, Mar 5, 2004
  18. Falcon Freak

    Nathan Trask Guest

    > Um, how do I boot up in safe mode?

    Hold down your Control button, or for those that go looking for the "any"
    key, push the CTRL and hold it down while Windows boots up. In this case
    booting is a GOOD thing...I know it sounds bad like "Kicking the Bucket" but
    trust me it's not.
    A screen should pop up asking if you want to start in safe mode, if that
    doesn't happen you messed up, try again. If it keeps happening, then call
    someone at the place that made your computer. They get paid to help you with
    these kinds of problems.

    Nathan "If it ain't broke, break it" Trask
    Nathan Trask, Mar 5, 2004
  19. Falcon Freak

    Dan Shea Guest

    On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 10:11:33 GMT, "Falcon Freak" <>
    wrote:

    >Um, how do I boot up in safe mode?

    Start your computer. Every half-second or so, tap the F8 key. You
    will be presented with a menu asking how you wish to start the
    computer. Select "Safe Mode". If you need more detailed
    instructions, see the following link:

    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...2001052409420406?OpenDocument&src=sec_doc_nam

    Cheers,
    dan
    Dan Shea, Mar 5, 2004
  20. Falcon Freak

    Nathan Guest

    Dan Shea wrote:

    > On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 10:11:33 GMT, "Falcon Freak" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Um, how do I boot up in safe mode?

    > Start your computer. Every half-second or so, tap the F8 key. {Message Cut}

    Strangely enough, I have a Hewlitt-Packard (well that's not the strange
    part), when it was new f8 worked. I had to do a system restore at some
    point and not f8 doesn't work...But then again, I can't get Help And
    Support either, because it tries to find a phone connection and I don't
    have one.

    Nathan "f8" Trask
    Nathan, Mar 5, 2004