    Been throught all the help I can find on the New but still no File or Drive sharing..

    Can any one post me a link or help on this..

    Thanks

    Mathew Good, Jan 24, 2007

  2. Mathew Good

    Rob S Guest

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304040

    --

    Rob
    http://aspir8or.blogspot.com

    2 * 3 * 3 * 37 : The prime factorization of The Beast

    Rob S, Jan 25, 2007

  3. Mathew Good

    Joy Guest

    "Mathew Good" <> wrote in message

    > 2 Computers connected via a Rourter, one running XP Home the other XP Pro.
    >
    > Been throught all the help I can find on the New but still no File or
    > Drive sharing..

    Thats the set up I have except that I've two xp homes and two xp prof. I've
    a dynalink rta 770 router and a switch box, to which a network printer is
    connected as well.
    It's not as straight forward on first set up as one might think.
    What have you done to connect them so far?
    Joy

    Joy, Jan 25, 2007
  4. Mathew Good

    Mathew Good Guest

    On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 08:27:23 +1300, "Joy" <> wrote:

    >"Mathew Good" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> 2 Computers connected via a Rourter, one running XP Home the other XP Pro.
    >>
    >> Been throught all the help I can find on the New but still no File or
    >> Drive sharing..

    >Thats the set up I have except that I've two xp homes and two xp prof. I've
    >a dynalink rta 770 router and a switch box, to which a network printer is
    >connected as well.
    >It's not as straight forward on first set up as one might think.
    >What have you done to connect them so far?
    >Joy

    Printed of 6 Articles on how to do it, just no file Sharing, both PC's can connect to the net..

    Mathew Good, Jan 25, 2007
  5. Mathew Good

    none Guest

    Mathew Good wrote:
    > Printed of 6 Articles on how to do it, just no file Sharing, both PC's can connect to the net..

    Made no mention of firewalls thus far.

    none, Jan 25, 2007
  6. Mathew Good

    > On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 08:27:23 +1300, "Joy" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Mathew Good" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> 2 Computers connected via a Rourter, one running XP Home the other XP
    >>> Pro.
    >>>
    >>> Been throught all the help I can find on the New but still no File or
    >>> Drive sharing..

    >>Thats the set up I have except that I've two xp homes and two xp prof.
    >>I've
    >>a dynalink rta 770 router and a switch box, to which a network printer is
    >>connected as well.
    >>It's not as straight forward on first set up as one might think.
    >>What have you done to connect them so far?
    >>Joy
    >>

    > Printed of 6 Articles on how to do it, just no file Sharing, both PC's
    > can connect to the net..

    Going by memory, you have a shared documents folder, is it enabled? Right
    click the folder, choose 'sharing and security' and check that the box is
    ticked. In our system, we all have that ticked and can drop files into if
    for the use of others on the network.
    Joy

    Joy, Jan 25, 2007
  7. Mathew Good

    Mathew Good Guest

    On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 08:27:23 +1300, "Joy" <> wrote:

    >"Mathew Good" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> 2 Computers connected via a Rourter, one running XP Home the other XP Pro.
    >>
    >> Been throught all the help I can find on the New but still no File or
    >> Drive sharing..

    >Thats the set up I have except that I've two xp homes and two xp prof. I've
    >a dynalink rta 770 router and a switch box, to which a network printer is
    >connected as well.
    >It's not as straight forward on first set up as one might think.
    >What have you done to connect them so far?
    >Joy

    Just Installed Network Magic and its show the network of the 2 computers, but comes up with a
    error message when trying to set up file sharing, seems that the Surecom Router is not supported.

    http://www.networkmagic.com/

    Mathew Good, Jan 25, 2007
  8. Mathew Good

    Mathew Good Guest

    On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 10:24:23 +1300, none <> wrote:

    >Mathew Good wrote:
    >> Printed of 6 Articles on how to do it, just no file Sharing, both PC's can connect to the net..

    >Made no mention of firewalls thus far.

    Disabled All firewall's..

    Mathew Good, Jan 26, 2007
  9. Mathew Good

    Mathew Good Guest

    On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 11:30:23 +1300, "Joy" <> wrote:

    >"Mathew Good" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 08:27:23 +1300, "Joy" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Mathew Good" <> wrote in message

    >>>Thats the set up I have except that I've two xp homes and two xp prof.
    >>>I've
    >>>a dynalink rta 770 router and a switch box, to which a network printer is
    >>>connected as well.
    >>>It's not as straight forward on first set up as one might think.
    >>>What have you done to connect them so far?
    >>>Joy
    >>>

    >> Printed of 6 Articles on how to do it, just no file Sharing, both PC's
    >> can connect to the net..

    >Going by memory, you have a shared documents folder, is it enabled? Right
    >click the folder, choose 'sharing and security' and check that the box is
    >ticked. In our system, we all have that ticked and can drop files into if
    >for the use of others on the network.
    >Joy

    Selected a Drive to Share, it does show it as shared, but that is all.

    Mathew Good, Jan 26, 2007
  10. Mathew Good

    > On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 11:30:23 +1300, "Joy" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Mathew Good" <> wrote in message

    >>> Printed of 6 Articles on how to do it, just no file Sharing, both PC's
    >>> can connect to the net..

    >>Going by memory, you have a shared documents folder, is it enabled? Right
    >>click the folder, choose 'sharing and security' and check that the box is
    >>ticked. In our system, we all have that ticked and can drop files into if
    >>for the use of others on the network.
    >>Joy
    >>

    > Selected a Drive to Share, it does show it as shared, but that is all.

    A drive is not a folder. Try mapping it?
    Joy

    Joy, Jan 26, 2007
  11. Mathew Good

    Mathew Good Guest

    On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 14:24:40 +1300, "Joy" <> wrote:

    >"Mathew Good" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 11:30:23 +1300, "Joy" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Mathew Good" <> wrote in message

    >>>Going by memory, you have a shared documents folder, is it enabled? Right
    >>>click the folder, choose 'sharing and security' and check that the box is
    >>>ticked. In our system, we all have that ticked and can drop files into if
    >>>for the use of others on the network.
    >>>Joy
    >>>

    >> Selected a Drive to Share, it does show it as shared, but that is all.

    >A drive is not a folder. Try mapping it?
    >Joy

    All the Articles I have read do refer to Folders or Drive..

    Mathew Good, Jan 26, 2007
  12. Mathew Good

    > On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 14:24:40 +1300, "Joy" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Mathew Good" <> wrote in message

    >>> Selected a Drive to Share, it does show it as shared, but that is all.

    >>A drive is not a folder. Try mapping it?
    >>Joy
    >>

    > All the Articles I have read do refer to Folders or Drive..

    Ok, just try to share it as you would a folder.
    Joy

    Joy, Jan 26, 2007
  13. Mathew Good

    Mathew Good Guest

    On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 17:21:39 +1300, "Joy" <> wrote:

    >"Mathew Good" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 14:24:40 +1300, "Joy" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Mathew Good" <> wrote in message

    >>>A drive is not a folder. Try mapping it?
    >>>Joy
    >>>

    >> All the Articles I have read do refer to Folders or Drive..

    >Ok, just try to share it as you would a folder.
    >Joy

    Yes done all that..

    Mathew Good, Jan 26, 2007
  14. Mathew Good

    Mathew Good Guest

    On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 17:44:23 -0600, Blue <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 14:50:21 +1300, Mathew Good wrote:
    >

    >> All the Articles I have read do refer to Folders or Drive..

    >Yes, you want to map a Folder on the other machine, as a Drive on your
    >machine.

    The MS Info on Mapping a drive does not match the PC XP Home software, so I an totally stuck..

    Mathew Good, Jan 26, 2007
  15. Mathew Good

    Mathew Good Guest

    On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 17:47:53 -0600, Blue <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 13:36:54 +1300, Mathew Good wrote:
    >
    >> Selected a Drive to Share, it does show it as shared, but that is all.

    >Okay, on the other machine does have you got file sharing enabled?

    Yes..

    But I can't map a drive or even see a Folder, some of the article state you have to reinstall XP to
    fix all this, well the owner will not let this happen as it was recently reinstalled.

    Mathew Good, Jan 26, 2007
  16. Mathew Good wrote:
    > On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 17:47:53 -0600, Blue <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 13:36:54 +1300, Mathew Good wrote:
    >>
    >>> Selected a Drive to Share, it does show it as shared, but that is all.

    >> Okay, on the other machine does have you got file sharing enabled?

    > Yes..
    >
    > But I can't map a drive or even see a Folder, some of the article state you have to reinstall XP to
    > fix all this, well the owner will not let this happen as it was recently reinstalled.

    Can you ping the other machine by IP & name?

    dilberts_left_nut, Jan 26, 2007
  17. Mathew Good

    Blue Guest

    Blue, Jan 26, 2007
  18. Mathew Good

    Blue Guest

    Blue, Jan 26, 2007
  19. In message <>, Mathew Good
    < wrote:

    > ...some of the article state you have to reinstall XP to
    > fix all this, well the owner will not let this happen as it was recently
    > reinstalled.

    Well, you've tried everything else. Got it working yet? Otherwise maybe it's
    time to bite the bullet and do the reinstall...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 28, 2007
  20. Mathew Good

    Mathew Good Guest

    On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 01:17:46 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    >In message <>, Mathew Good
    >< wrote:
    >
    >> ...some of the article state you have to reinstall XP to
    >> fix all this, well the owner will not let this happen as it was recently
    >> reinstalled.

    >Well, you've tried everything else. Got it working yet? Otherwise maybe it's
    >time to bite the bullet and do the reinstall...

    Seen some comments that you do need Guest log on for it to work..?

    As its not my system I will have to wait till my friend is free..

    Mathew Good, Jan 28, 2007