    32 bit apps, even the ones that came with the OEM install.

    Any thoughts short of restoring the machine to it's original state from the
    manufacturer?
    =?Utf-8?B?VGlt?=, Sep 13, 2005

  2. Which model printer is this? check http://www.planetamd64.com for any
    updated drivers.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Sep 14, 2005

  3. Hello,
    Can you add a new printer from the printer wizard like a generic printer
    and see if printing works to that?
    Can you try adding a printer to print to a file rather than to a port like
    LPT1?
    What is the parallal port set to in the bios?
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: =?Utf-8?B?VGlt?= <>
    <Subject: Unable to setup printer
    <Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 14:34:32 -0700
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <printer now?".
    <
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Sep 14, 2005
  4. Laserjet 2300dn. I have been to planetamd64 and tried everything I found
    there. I don't think it's a printer driver problem. I can install the drivers
    fine. And I can print from any x64 app (e.g. notepad, IE64).

    =?Utf-8?B?VGlt?=, Sep 14, 2005
  5. Thanks for your reply.

    If I add a generic printer, I can print to it from any 64bit app like
    notepad or 64bit IE. When printing from a 32 bit app, I get an unknown error.
    I get this while printing to both LPT1 or a TCP/IP port (which is my
    preferred way of connecting to the printer). This is the same behaviour
    regardless of the printer installed.

    I'll look at the BIOS settings when I reboot. Thanks for the tip.

    =?Utf-8?B?VGlt?=, Sep 14, 2005
  6. Hello Tim,
    That tells me then that it's likely not a issue with driver or an issue
    with the port.
    So I would look at the spooler to see if there is something that doesn't
    look correct in that structure.
    Are you printing local or to a print server?
    What are the files and folders under \windows\system32\spool?

    under system 32 look for spoolss.dll, winspool.drv, and spoolsv.exe
    Check they are the 64-bit files, they should be.

    also check under syswow64, look at winspool.drv and winspool.exe
    These should be 32-bit files.

    You can use filever from the support.cab that ships with X64 to check the
    version of the files as well as platform of the files.
    Are these files correct and are they located at the correct locations and
    not at other locations.

    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: =?Utf-8?B?VGlt?= <>
    <Subject: RE: Unable to setup printer
    <Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 07:33:02 -0700
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <Thanks for your reply.
    <
    <""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote:
    <
    <> Hello,
    <> Can you add a new printer from the printer wizard like a generic printer
    <> and see if printing works to that?
    <> Can you try adding a printer to print to a file rather than to a port
    like
    <> LPT1?
    <> What is the parallal port set to in the bios?
    <> Thanks,
    <> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
    <>
    <> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
    rights
    <> --------------------
    <> <From: =?Utf-8?B?VGlt?= <>
    <> <Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 14:34:32 -0700
    <> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <> <
    <> <I was able to print from 32 bit apps (e.g. 32 bit IE, Word, Outlook)
    <> <yesterday. And today, I no longer can.
    <> <
    <> <When I try to print from a 32 bit application, I get a dialog box that
    <> <says "before you can perform printer-related tasks such as page setup
    or
    <> <printing a document, you need to install a printer. Do you want to
    install
    <> a
    <> <printer now?".
    <> <
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Sep 14, 2005
  7. I didn't think it was a driver issue either.

    The system32\spool files are as you described. They are all 64bit.
    Under syswow64\ the winspool.drv is 32bit but, winspool.exe is 16 bit. I
    looked on the os install disk and didn't find a 32bit version.

    I print to a print server (tcp/ip). I have tried connecting to lpt1 without
    any difference.

    The file structure under system32\spool seems straightforward.

    drivers\color\a bunch of files (icc and icm)
    \w32x86\3\ empty
    \win40\ empty
    \x64\3\ a bunch of files for the hp2200 printer. auto installed
    when setting up the printer. there's also a temp directory here.
    printers - empty
    prtprocs...\W32X86\HPPRN05.DLL
    \win40\
    \x64\hpzpp3xy.DLL

    Thanks very much for weighing in.

    =?Utf-8?B?VGlt?=, Sep 15, 2005
  8. well. this problem was just one among a myriad of driver issues. Even capicom
    objects couldn't be created in ASPs. So, I wiped the drive and went back to
    winxp 32. I'll try again another day.

    Thanks for the help

    =?Utf-8?B?VGlt?=, Sep 16, 2005