    appreciated.
    --
    Lynn
    =?Utf-8?B?THlubg==?=, Dec 28, 2004

  2. =?Utf-8?B?THlubg==?=

    Malke Guest

    Lynn wrote:

    > Hi everyone, not even sure where to start, because this has been a
    > frustrating experience. I was running ME with a Netgear WGR614 v4 and
    > WG111
    > wireless adapter, and DSL. No problems whatsoever. I installed XP
    > Professional and everything stopped working. I then uninstalled and
    > everything worked fine again. Then at the suggestion of friends I
    > purchased
    > and installed XP Home Edition. Ever since then the only way I can
    > access the
    > internet is hard wiring my computer to the modem with an ethernet
    > cable. At
    > first that wouldn't work until I removed Zone Alarm. XP doesn't even
    > acknowledge that the adapter is plugged in. I'm at my wits end and
    > not sure what to do next, other than removing XP. Any help would be
    > greatly appreciated.

    Your friends did not give you good advice. Both XP Pro and Home can do
    wirelessly networking and there is no difference between the two
    versions in how they do it.

    There may be more than one factor at work here. When you say that XP
    doesn't "acknowledge the adapter is plugged in", what exactly do you
    mean? Are you talking about an ethernet connection?

    I would start by trying to unwind what you've done. Uninstall all the
    network cards. Reinstall them. Use current drivers downloaded from the
    mftr.'s website. Obviously you will need to get the drivers on a
    machine that has Internet access and a cd burner.

    Then make sure if you are no longer using ZoneAlarm that you allow File
    & Printer Sharing in the Windows Firewall's exceptions. I believe the
    problem may have been twofold:

    a) wrong drivers for the hardware
    b) firewalls in place without properly configuring them - and you only
    want one software firewall running

    Here is a link to a network troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna:
    http://www.michna.com/kb/wxnet.htm

    And here are a few other links to help:

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers
    Malke, Dec 28, 2004

  3. =?Utf-8?B?THlubg==?=

    Jack Guest

    Hi
    May be this can Help.

    Wireless - BasicSecurity: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Dec 29, 2004
  4. =?Utf-8?B?THlubg==?=

    Tony Guest

    "Lynn" <> wrote in message
    > Hi everyone, not even sure where to start, because this has been a
    > frustrating experience. I was running ME with a Netgear WGR614 v4 and
    > WG111
    > wireless adapter, and DSL. No problems whatsoever. I installed XP
    > Professional and everything stopped working. I then uninstalled and
    > everything worked fine again. Then at the suggestion of friends I
    > purchased
    > and installed XP Home Edition. Ever since then the only way I can access
    > the
    > internet is hard wiring my computer to the modem with an ethernet cable.
    > At
    > first that wouldn't work until I removed Zone Alarm. XP doesn't even
    > acknowledge that the adapter is plugged in. I'm at my wits end and not
    > sure
    > what to do next, other than removing XP. Any help would be greatly
    > appreciated.
    > --
    > Lynn

    Lynn,

    Sorry if this sounds obvious but have you installed the latest XP drivers
    for the wireless adaptor?
    http://kbserver.netgear.com/release_notes/D102534.asp fixes a problem with
    SP2.
    Tony, Dec 29, 2004
  5. =?Utf-8?B?THlubg==?=

    Tony Guest

    "Lynn" <> wrote in message
    > Hi everyone, not even sure where to start, because this has been a
    > frustrating experience. I was running ME with a Netgear WGR614 v4 and
    > WG111
    > wireless adapter, and DSL. No problems whatsoever. I installed XP
    > Professional and everything stopped working. I then uninstalled and
    > everything worked fine again. Then at the suggestion of friends I
    > purchased
    > and installed XP Home Edition. Ever since then the only way I can access
    > the
    > internet is hard wiring my computer to the modem with an ethernet cable.
    > At
    > first that wouldn't work until I removed Zone Alarm. XP doesn't even
    > acknowledge that the adapter is plugged in. I'm at my wits end and not
    > sure
    > what to do next, other than removing XP. Any help would be greatly
    > appreciated.
    > --
    > Lynn

    Also, in zone alarm, click on firewall then zones then add>> and put in the
    IP address and subnet mask of the router. In description put what you want
    such as "Router"
    Tony, Dec 29, 2004