unable to set up internet printer

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by David K, Nov 20, 2003.

  1. David K

    David K Guest

    I have a HP Deskjet 920c printer attached to a Windows 2000 Pro system
    in a small domain.

    I can share the printer in the printer properties and access the share
    from other systems via Active Directory. From what I've read, I just
    need to have IIS and File and Print Sharing installed, both of which
    are installed and are being used. Other than File and Print Sharing, I
    have TCP/IP and Client for Microsoft Networks installed, both of which
    are being used, and no other protocols or clients installed associated
    with the NIC.

    The problem is the printer doesn't show up in http requests. I've
    tried the URL http://mycomputername/printers from the system the
    printer is attached to and another system in the domain, but I get a
    404 error. The root directory, http://mycomputername , is accessible.

    I'm also unable to add the printer via the Add Printer Wizard and
    selecting "Connect to a printer on the internet or on your intranet"
    and entering http://mycomputername/printers/hpdj920c/.printer , but it
    can't find the printer.

    The printer share permissions allow full control for the
    Administrators accounts I've attempted to access the printer from.

    I was instructed to open Personal Web Manager, click on Advanced, and
    examine the Printers folder, but there is no such folder listed.

    Everything I've read on Microsoft's site and other sources suggests
    that I have everything set up correctly. What could be wrong?

    Dave
    David K, Nov 20, 2003

  2. David K

    dirk Guest

    Why dont u try posting to the right group ??

    dirk, Nov 20, 2003

  3. David K

    David K Guest

    On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 14:13:18 -0800, "dirk"
    <> wrote:

    >Why dont u try posting to the right group ??

    Using internet printers is an MCSE objective, and topics such as these
    are frequently discussed on this group.

    Dave
    David K, Nov 20, 2003
  4. David K

    JaR Guest

    JaR, Nov 21, 2003
  5. David K

    David K Guest

    On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 16:20:43 -0800, "JaR" <>
    wrote:

    >"David K" <> wrote in message
    >> the printer doesn't show up in http requests. >I've
    >> tried the URL >http://mycomputername/printers from the

    >Maybe you just typed this wrong, but this should be
    >http://computername/printername

    Are you sure? \\computername\printername would be the share name, but
    as far as http, the instructions in Sybex's book and on MS's site give
    http://computername/printers , which apparently should show some sort
    of menu.

    In any case, I get a 404 with that too, even on the local system.

    Dave
    David K, Nov 21, 2003
  6. David K

    MCSE World Guest

    Is IIS installed on the system to which the printer is connected?

    Best,
    Will
    www.mcseworld.com

    MCSE World, Nov 21, 2003
  7. David K

    David K Guest

    On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 13:22:13 -0500, "MCSE World"
    <admin_at_mcseworld.com> wrote:

    >Is IIS installed on the system to which the printer is connected?

    Yes. I also uninstalled and reinstalled IIS, but no effect.

    Dave
    David K, Nov 22, 2003
  8. David K

    David K Guest

    I got the internet printer sharing to work on W2k Server. I was trying
    to do it on Pro, and I kept an eye out for anything explicitly saying
    it could only be done on Server and didn't see anything. But I guess
    the version of IIS on W2K Pro doesn't support this.

    Dave
    David K, Nov 22, 2003
  9. David K

    MCSE World Guest