Unable to pull an IP Address

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Dave, Mar 30, 2006.

  1. Dave

    Dave Guest

    I have a NetGear 814V2 Wireless Router hooked up to my Motorola
    Surfboard Sb5200 connected to Comcast. My one Laptop hooks wirelessly
    without any problems and I can surf the net, do E-Mail etc. but my other
    laptop will NOT pull an IP address.

    The "problem" laptop sees my Wireless router when I check in "Symbol
    Mobile Companion" but I cannot get it to pull down an IP address. When
    I check on the "Attached Devices" page of the Router configuration it
    doesn't list the "problem" laptop as being connected. I have triple
    checked that the correct WEP key is entered on the Laptop an also tried
    it with encryption switched off but still no IP Address!

    Any ideas or pointers?

    WiFi card is a Symbol Technologies Spectrum 24 802.11b (same as in other
    Laptop and YES I have switched it out for a "known good")

    Router is a NetGear 814V2

    O.S. is Windows 98
    Laptop not currently firewalled.

    Dave, Mar 30, 2006

  2. Look in the network connection on the laptop that doesn't work and see what
    the settings are for TCP/IP. They should be set to "Obtain an IP address
    automatically" Also, make sure your router has enough IP addresses to assign.

    MD

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFkRG9n?=, Apr 2, 2006

  3. Dave

    TW Guest

    Comcast uses MAC filtering. When you run their software to install the
    connection, It registers the MAC address of your computer within the
    surfboard. They do this so you can only use one computer with this
    connection.

    Here's the workaround.

    You need to connect to your admin page on your router and "clone" the MAC
    address of the computer that has access (the one you ran the Comcast
    software on).

    Then plug the ethernet cable from the surfboard to the WAN port on your
    router. Using the WAN port creates two networks, the network between the
    router and the surfboard and the network between your local network or LAN
    and the router. The router performs NAT(network address translation)
    services that translate local addresses to the routers address(and MAC
    address) to the surfboard.

    Make sure you enable DHCP on your router and DNS forwarding.

    Using this method the surfboard thinks it is connected to a single computer
    but in fact it is connected to your router. The router does all the routing
    between your computers and the surfboard(using NAT). The surfboard wont know
    the difference.

    I have used this and it works. Try it
    TW

    TW, Apr 4, 2006