Unable to play rotated JPGs on Panasonic DVD player

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ehrhardt, Jan 18, 2004.

  1. Ehrhardt

    Ehrhardt Guest

    Hello - appreciate any advice on this problem.

    Goal: burn a CD-R with pix from dig camera, to send to relative to view on
    DVD player.

    Setup:
    - pix transfered from Canon A70 to PC running XP Pro
    - tried using ACDSee (old version 2.4), PhotoStudio5, and Exifer to rotate
    the portrait images
    - using HP DLA (drive letter access) to copy resulting files to CD-R blank,
    then "made compatible"
    - images display correctly (portrait as portrait) when CD in a different CD
    drive in same PC

    BUT on Panasonic DVD F-65 player:
    - any directory from CD shows one extra "phantom" file.
    - ACDSee-processed image either shows sideways or DVD player complains
    "cannot display image"
    - PhotoStudio-processed image sometimes displays correctly, sometimes
    sideways. Same goes for thumbnail display on player.
    - Exifer-processed image displays either sideways or not at all.

    Sent email to Panasonic nearly a week ago but no response. Also surfed for
    info on whether I need some special software to burn a DVD-player-compatible
    CD, but seems (as I would suspect) that no such software is necessary.

    Many thanks for any suggestions on what to do.

    Fred Ehrhardt

    Ehrhardt, Jan 18, 2004

  2. Ehrhardt

    Ehrhardt Guest

    In case anyone else has this problem, I have found one answer...

    Convert files to PNG, which will eliminate all EXIF and thumbnail data from
    the camera-generated original JPG, then convert back to JPG. It's a don't
    care for me re: any info loss in the process, since these are to be viewed
    on standard TV - so you won't notice.

    With that process, mission accomplished.

    Many thanks to http://www.acumensystems.com/mir/ for their great batch image
    processing tool.

    Ehrhardt, Jan 24, 2004