    result of me upgrading to 98SE or a fault in th e motherboard? Everything
    else works fine but i cannot play music or use my fax software. The computer
    is a quite old Tiny home studio pentium 450

    SS, Jun 28, 2006

  2. This could be directly linked to your upgrade. With the older Windows versions (prior to 2000), upgrading from say Windows 95 to 98 often required your to reinstall your hardware drivers because they don't usually carry over from the previous version. This happens specifically if Windows 98SE doesn't have drivers to support the hardware, even if they were working in the previous version.

    One way to check is to go to your control panel of Windows and look at the Device Manager. See if either of these devices appear in the list. If they don't, it could be a motherboard setting or a fautly motherboard. If they are there with a big yello question mark, then you'll need to reinstall the software drivers because Windows didn't find anything compatible.

    Jermaine Byers

    PC Consultant

    For quicker help in the future, check out www.byerscomputers.com and click on SupportOnDemand which will provide you the answers you seek without the hassles of newsgroups!!!

    Byers, Jermaine, Jun 29, 2006

  3. SS

    ProfGene Guest

    SS wrote:
    > I run Windows 98SE (previously Win98). When trying to play audio files I get
    > the message "Unable to play audio. No sound device detected on your system".
    > The sound card is onboard with the motherboard but all tests cannot find a
    > device. I also noted that the modem also cannot be found - could this be a
    > result of me upgrading to 98SE or a fault in th e motherboard? Everything
    > else works fine but i cannot play music or use my fax software. The computer
    > is a quite old Tiny home studio pentium 450

    In order to play sound you must have the correct drivers for the sound
    chip. Each motherboard comes with a cd that has the drivers for
    everything onboard such as sound or if the video is onboard. If you
    don't have the cd you can get the drivers from the internet if you know
    the make and model of the motherboard. If you have the drivers and the
    sound is not working try removing them, and let windows discover they
    are missing and put them back on reboot. Sometimes that will cause the
    sound to work. Do the same with the modem if you have the drivers and
    they are listed as there in the modem folder, then remove them and let
    Windows find the modem and reinstall the drivers.

    ProfGene, Jun 29, 2006