    i have checked IP filter setting its "allow all".
    i still cant get whats wrong here. i will highly
    appriciate help.

    Aj, Dec 9, 2003

  2. as usual:
    check that the cable is plugged in and you have all the correct drivers
    installed:

    use a sniffer on the second machine and try to sniff anything..if you see
    packets from the first machine, that means that cable is ok, now check the
    security settings/protocol settings on the second machine. if not, recheck
    the cable and swap roles - use a sniffer on the first machine...try to sniff
    outgoing packets...etc...until success

    Andrew Lomakin, Dec 9, 2003

  3. If you have RRAS installed on your server, you should also check inbound and
    outbound filters for this interfase.

    Alexander Melnikov, Dec 9, 2003
  4. Aj

    Guest Guest

    Routing and Remote Acess Service is not yet Configured and
    Enabled. this is to be some wierd problem i guess.

    Guest, Dec 9, 2003
  5. Aj

    Guest Guest

    i can see the packets in network by checking the "status".
    i shows sending and recieving the packets. but ping is
    timed out!

    Guest, Dec 9, 2003
  6. that's good already - the cable looks working
    ain't using `Planet` NIC?

    check & update drivers especially for win98
    really DO update drivers, because when i had my problems with NT & 2k
    connectivity the problem was in drivers i downloaded from the hardware
    manufacturer's site. you have 2 tries: take drivers from web, or take ones
    from disk - try both ways, may help
    it's a driver problem imho...try to get a network monitor...at least for
    win2k. i think win98 replies rubbish :(
    try to boot both PC's with windows PE
    try disabling firewalls (ALL FIREWALLS/UNINSTALL FIREWALLS)
    try disabling antivirus/internet security programs...sometimes this also
    helps

    can win98 see other pc's if connected to them directly
    can w2k see other pc's if connected to them directly?

    Andrew Lomakin, Dec 9, 2003
  7. BTW try running arp -a
    on both pc's
    do you see the MAC of the other PC?

    Andrew Lomakin, Dec 9, 2003
  8. Aj

    Aj Guest

    yes... i can get the physical/mac address of other machine
    when i run arp -a. (did it on both)
    thats cool i dint know that...ta
    but... still cant ping... have updated the drivers... even
    got Xircom Driver from the Xircom site(one is laptop with
    xircom card).

    Aj, Dec 10, 2003
  9. hmm, still got a thought that you have some firewall on
    boot both machines with win PE and see if you can ping one other. that 100%
    is some kind of a firewall.
    BTW try not pinging, try connecting to say...port 138, 139....just see if
    the connect goes, AND GET A SNIFFER FOR [censored]'s SAKE

    Andrew Lomakin, Dec 10, 2003
  10. Aj

    Aj Guest

    i just got it running... a friend of mine came... killed
    some time on console... uninstalled nic card on server...
    added.. as new hardware... and... whoop... is though... i
    can ping. Thanks Andrew... a lot!!! you have significantly
    helped me.
    i have been able to learn.. why peole have approch of
    reinstalling...

    Aj, Dec 10, 2003
  11. Aj

    Joe O'Connor Guest

    This is a wierd one. I am having the same problem with Win 2003 Trial
    version. I can ping the server from the Win XP machine, but cannot ping the
    XP PC from the server. Telnet works though. I have a Broadcom 10/100 NIC and
    am using the XP drivers for this. I have uninstalled and reinstalled them
    already. No joy...

    Wierd.

    Joe O'Connor, Dec 11, 2003
  12. this IS firewall in this case:
    the thing that lets some packets through and blocks other

    Andrew Lomakin, Dec 11, 2003