    So basically im stuffed unless there is somewhere i can send this pic
    (newsgroup?) to see if anyone else can open it and then save it?
    Thanks for any help on this as im rapidly running out of coffee.

    fastmoggy, Jul 17, 2005

  2. fastmoggy

    Bud Light Guest

    Send it to me at and I'll see if I can open it as a
    jpeg.

    "fastmoggy" <> wrote in message
    > Recently had to recover data from a sick hard drive using a file recovery
    > program. After many hours i managed to get most of my stuff back (Burner
    > Broken..... Dixon's!)
    > Most if my JPEG pictures have come back fine but s few are refusing to

    open
    > no matter what program i try and use to open them.Ive tried using the web

    > find a program that says will open the file which in my case was Microsoft
    > paint (hey i'll try anything) which for some reason is trying to open it

    as

    Bud Light, Jul 17, 2005

  3. fastmoggy

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "fastmoggy" <> wrote in message
    > Recently had to recover data from a sick hard drive using a file recovery
    > program. After many hours i managed to get most of my stuff back (Burner
    > Broken..... Dixon's!)
    > Most if my JPEG pictures have come back fine but s few are refusing to
    > open no matter what program i try and use to open them.Ive tried using the
    > web to find a program that says will open the file which in my case was
    > Microsoft paint (hey i'll try anything) which for some reason is trying to
    > open it as a bitmap.

    JPG *is* a bitmap.

    > So basically im stuffed unless there is somewhere i can send this pic
    > (newsgroup?) to see if anyone else can open it and then save it?
    > Thanks for any help on this as im rapidly running out of coffee.

    Do you have the correct .jpg extension on the file name?

    It is possible that the data recovery is not correct. In which case the file
    data does not match the file header information. Which means you probably
    have no chance of recovery.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 17, 2005
  4. fastmoggy

    Render Me Guest

    JPG *is* a bitmap?

    Render Me, Jul 17, 2005
  5. fastmoggy

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Yes. The jpg file format is a bitmap, a raster image, as opposed to a vector
    image. Therefore, it is a bitmap. The only real difference is the
    compression algorithms and file headers.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 17, 2005
  6. fastmoggy

    Bud Light Guest

    I check the JPG you sent me and I get the message "no preview available"
    when I open it. I also renamed it to a JPEG and a BMP and no luck. Good
    luck.

    Bud Light, Jul 18, 2005
  7. fastmoggy

    Shel-hed Guest

    Try Irfanview.

    Shel-hed, Jul 18, 2005
  8. fastmoggy

    Bud Light Guest

    Yup...I tried Irfanview and no luck. Even if you right click on the JPG and
    select properties there is nothing displaying.

    "Shel-hed" <> wrote in message

    > Try Irfanview.
    >
    > On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 22:35:54 GMT, "fastmoggy"

    <>

    Bud Light, Jul 18, 2005
  9. fastmoggy

    Guest

    "fastmoggy" <> wrote:

    |>Recently had to recover data from a sick hard drive using a file recovery
    |>program. After many hours i managed to get most of my stuff back (Burner
    |>Broken..... Dixon's!)
    |>Most if my JPEG pictures have come back fine but s few are refusing to open
    |>no matter what program i try and use to open them.Ive tried using the web to
    |>find a program that says will open the file which in my case was Microsoft
    |>paint (hey i'll try anything) which for some reason is trying to open it as
    |>a bitmap.
    |>So basically im stuffed unless there is somewhere i can send this pic
    |>(newsgroup?) to see if anyone else can open it and then save it?
    |>Thanks for any help on this as im rapidly running out of coffee.

    Open a jpg in a text editor (notepad) if you don't see: JFIF
    in the first couple of lines it, nothing will open it.

    If you take the header of a normal jpg and paste it to a non-viewable
    jpg, if there is any graphic info left it will display.
    --

    , Jul 18, 2005
  10. fastmoggy

    Toolman Tim Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > "fastmoggy" <> wrote:
    >
    > |>Recently had to recover data from a sick hard drive using a file
    > recovery
    > |>program. After many hours i managed to get most of my stuff back (Burner
    > |>Broken..... Dixon's!)
    > |>Most if my JPEG pictures have come back fine but s few are refusing to
    > open
    > |>no matter what program i try and use to open them.Ive tried using the
    > web to
    > |>find a program that says will open the file which in my case was
    > Microsoft
    > |>paint (hey i'll try anything) which for some reason is trying to open it
    > as
    > |>a bitmap.
    > |>So basically im stuffed unless there is somewhere i can send this pic
    > |>(newsgroup?) to see if anyone else can open it and then save it?
    > |>Thanks for any help on this as im rapidly running out of coffee.
    > |>

    > Open a jpg in a text editor (notepad) if you don't see: JFIF
    > in the first couple of lines it, nothing will open it.
    >
    > If you take the header of a normal jpg and paste it to a non-viewable
    > jpg, if there is any graphic info left it will display.

    I used to patch headers like that in debug or similar sector editing
    utilities. Is there a better way? With a text editor it's possible to have
    non-viewable characters that don't copy/paste well.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 18, 2005
  11. fastmoggy

    Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote:

    |><> wrote in message

    |>> recovery
    |>> open
    |>> web to
    |>> Microsoft
    |>> as
    |>> |>

    |>> Open a jpg in a text editor (notepad) if you don't see: JFIF
    |>> in the first couple of lines it, nothing will open it.
    |>>
    |>> If you take the header of a normal jpg and paste it to a non-viewable
    |>> jpg, if there is any graphic info left it will display.

    |>I used to patch headers like that in debug or similar sector editing
    |>utilities. Is there a better way? With a text editor it's possible to have
    |>non-viewable characters that don't copy/paste well.

    As much as I use a Hex editor anymore UltraEdit works just fine.
    Just Hex-copy selected and paste to the top of the other file.

    If you grab too much of the header it's no biggie you get some of the
    source graphics.
    --

    , Jul 18, 2005
  12. fastmoggy

    Toolman Tim Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote:
    >

    > |><> wrote in message

    > (Burner
    > the
    > open it
    > pic

    > |>I used to patch headers like that in debug or similar sector editing
    > |>utilities. Is there a better way? With a text editor it's possible to
    > have
    > |>non-viewable characters that don't copy/paste well.
    > |>

    > As much as I use a Hex editor anymore UltraEdit works just fine.
    > Just Hex-copy selected and paste to the top of the other file.
    >
    > If you grab too much of the header it's no biggie you get some of the
    > source graphics.

    Yeah - that's the ticket! The hex editor would do what the OP needs to try.
    Of course, a Google search for free hex editor also provides some excellent
    alternatives.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 18, 2005
  13. fastmoggy

    fastmoggy Guest

    > Open a jpg in a text editor (notepad) if you don't see: JFIF
    > in the first couple of lines it, nothing will open it.
    >
    > If you take the header of a normal jpg and paste it to a non-viewable
    > jpg, if there is any graphic info left it will display.

    Thanks for that. Just checked and searched for JFIF but not there so file is
    jiggered. The file recovery program has found the same file quite a few
    times so perhaps one of then is the genuine article?
    Time will tell.
    Coffee please

    fastmoggy, Jul 18, 2005