Unable to open files in Word, or Excel?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Gabriel Rapture, Jun 21, 2006.

  1. Every time I try and open a stored file in these two programs I get a
    message saying "This file cannot be opened because the virus scanner
    has detected a problem with this file"

    Every file I try to open says that. I can start with a blank page and
    create a document, or spreadsheet saving that, but I can't open any
    older ones.

    You may be encountering this message because an anti-virus program is
    not allowing the file to open. This can be caused by one of two
    conditions. Either the anti-virus program needs to be updated (due to
    a comp ability problem with this application) or there is a virus in
    the file but the anti-virus program cannot properly remove or process
    the virus it has found.

    In either case, the file you are attempting to open should be treated
    as infected until you have updated your anti-virus software to the
    latest updates available from the vendor. All major anti-virus
    software manufacturers have created updates to address known
    compatibility problems with Office applications. They also usually
    provide a virus signature file that is available for download from the
    Internet and must be updated regularly to properly scan for all known
    forms of viruses.

    If you are experiencing this problem on a computer where a new version
    of anti-virus software was recently installed from a CD-ROM, it is
    advised to connect to the Internet and download the latest updates
    available from the vendor.

    If you are experiencing this problem on a computer where the latest
    version of the software is installed, all signature files are up to
    date, and the file will not open (but other files do) then it is very
    likely the file is infected with a virus and the anti-virus program
    cannot remove the infection.

    There is also the possibility the file is corrupt (damaged) and cannot
    be properly handled by either the anti-virus software or the affected
    Office application. In this case, it may be necessary to attempt
    recovery of the file using the related recovery utilities that may be
    available with the application (not all applications have file
    recovery or repair capabilities).

    For more information about this issue, see the Microsoft Knowledge
    Base article 835404.

    What give ici?

    Gabriel Rapture, Jun 21, 2006

  2. Gabriel Rapture

    Guest

    Gabriel Rapture <> wrote:

    |>Every time I try and open a stored file in these two programs I get a
    |>message saying "This file cannot be opened because the virus scanner
    |>has detected a problem with this file"

    Your using Agent, sort by user and read - Au79 < post
    start from the latest.

    --
    Sigh...
    when I send stuff by ship, it's called Cargo,

    , Jun 21, 2006

  3. Gabriel Rapture

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Gabriel Rapture.

    In <news:> you wrote:

    > Every time I try and open a stored file in these two programs I get a
    > message saying "This file cannot be opened because the virus scanner
    > has detected a problem with this file"

    Out of curiosity, what anti-virus are you running?

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

    Ponder, Jun 21, 2006
  4. Gabriel Rapture wrote:

    > Every time I try and open a stored file in these two programs I get a
    > message saying "This file cannot be opened because the virus scanner
    > has detected a problem with this file"
    >
    > Every file I try to open says that. I can start with a blank page and
    > create a document, or spreadsheet saving that, but I can't open any
    > older ones.
    >
    > You may be encountering this message because an anti-virus program is
    > not allowing the file to open. This can be caused by one of two
    > conditions. Either the anti-virus program needs to be updated (due to
    > a comp ability problem with this application) or there is a virus in
    > the file but the anti-virus program cannot properly remove or process
    > the virus it has found.

    [blah blah blah ...]

    > What give ici?

    First: which "on access" virus scanner in your systray?
    2nd, can you disable it and retry?
    3rd: more information please (and have a look at eventviewer too).

    Walter Mautner, Jun 21, 2006
  5. I'm using the latest version of "AVG" virus scanner.
    Version 7.1 something or other

    Right now I turned it off and removed it from the lower right hand
    corner, but the files still won't open in Excel, or Word 2003?

    Weird!

    Gabriel Rapture, Jun 21, 2006
  6. Gabriel Rapture

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Gabriel Rapture.

    In <news:> you wrote:

    > I'm using the latest version of "AVG" virus scanner.
    > Version 7.1 something or other

    I thought for a moment you were going to say Norton or Symantec ;)

    > Right now I turned it off and removed it from the lower right hand
    > corner, but the files still won't open in Excel, or Word 2003?

    Very weird. What's actually happening now, is it throwing up an error
    message?

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

    Ponder, Jun 21, 2006
  7. Gabriel Rapture

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Walter Mautner.

    In <news:> you wrote:

    > vista policy violation: Microsoft optical mouse detected penguin patterns
    > on mousepad.

    I've always found an optical mouse works better without a mousepad anyway
    ;)

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

    Ponder, Jun 21, 2006
  8. Yes, when I click on a recent file in Word, or Excel it give me this
    message: "This file cannot be opened because the virus scanner
    has detected a problem with this file"

    And it refuses to allow me to have access to the file after that.

    Gabriel Rapture, Jun 21, 2006
  9. Gabriel Rapture

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Gabriel Rapture.

    In <news:> you wrote:

    > Yes, when I click on a recent file in Word, or Excel it give me this
    > message: "This file cannot be opened because the virus scanner
    > has detected a problem with this file"

    Even with AVG stopped? Remember with AVG just removing the icon may not
    stop the core engine running. A few thoughts to play with:

    DO you have another anti-virus running?

    What happens if you right-click an affected file and run a virus scan on
    it via the context menu?

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

    Ponder, Jun 21, 2006
  10. <reading Subject header>

    No, they're working fine. Thanks for asking, though.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 21, 2006
  11. Gabriel Rapture

    SgtMinor Guest

    SgtMinor, Jun 22, 2006
  12. SgtMinor wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> <reading Subject header>
    >>
    >> No, they're working fine. Thanks for asking, though.

    > More reading here:
    > http://makeashorterlink.com/?E2605105D

    Heh. I still like my answer. ;)

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 22, 2006
  13. Bon Giorno mes amis,

    I guess I'm going to have to remove "AVG" entirely to see if they will
    open. Nothing else I try seems to work.

    Gabriel Rapture, Jun 23, 2006
  14. I removed "AVG" completely just now and rebooted. Everything is
    working perfectly now. Excel, and Word 2003 both are quickly opening
    the files that they wouldn't open before.

    I wonder why that happened?

    I have AVG installed on my backup computer, and everything is working
    just fine over there?

    On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 18:29:57 -0500, Gabriel Rapture
    <> wrote:

    >Bon Giorno mes amis,
    >
    >I guess I'm going to have to remove "AVG" entirely to see if they will
    >open. Nothing else I try seems to work.

    Only seven days left to secure your flea position.
    This will ROCK the MLM industry WORLDWIDE!!!
    See what CNN, QVC, ABC, FOX, and the New York Times say about it.

    http://www.aatcm.com/enraptured

    One Love, One Heart, One Destiny for Humankind!

    Gabriel Rapture, Jun 24, 2006