    that didn't solve anything

    Thanks
    John

    Fitzy_bhoy, Jun 30, 2004

  2. Fitzy_bhoy

    °Mike° Guest

    Explorer often tries to create a preview for AVI files,
    and this can cause problems if the file is corrupt.
    Open your registry editor (Start / Run / regedit) to:

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
    +SystemFileAssociations
    +.avi
    +shellex
    +PropertyHandler

    In the right hand window you will see (Default) with
    an alpha-numeric value. Delete it, or zero it.

    On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 01:54:26 +0100, in
    <40e20f38$0$280$>
    Fitzy_bhoy scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jun 30, 2004

  3. Fitzy_bhoy

    Unk Guest

    On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 01:54:26 +0100, "Fitzy_bhoy" <>
    wrote:

    >I have downloaded a large divx file and was able to move it from one drive
    >to another, but I can't move it around the 2nd drive. It says that the file
    >is being used by another person or program. As I am the only user account on
    >the computer and this happens after rebooting then I find it hard to
    >believe. If another program is using the file, is there a util out there
    >which will tell me which one and how to sever the link.
    >
    >I have tried running chkdsk/f in case the file system was corrupted, but
    >that didn't solve anything
    >
    >Thanks
    >John

    Open the folder that it's in. Click "View", and select "List".
    Now delete or move it. The folder view was probably creating a thumbnail
    image of the file.

    Unk, Jun 30, 2004
  4. Fitzy_bhoy

    Fitzy_bhoy Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > Explorer often tries to create a preview for AVI files,
    > and this can cause problems if the file is corrupt.
    > Open your registry editor (Start / Run / regedit) to:
    >
    > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
    > +SystemFileAssociations
    > +.avi
    > +shellex
    > +PropertyHandler
    >
    > In the right hand window you will see (Default) with
    > an alpha-numeric value. Delete it, or zero it.
    >

    > On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 01:54:26 +0100, in
    > <40e20f38$0$280$>
    > Fitzy_bhoy scrawled:
    >
    > >I have downloaded a large divx file and was able to move it from one

    drive
    > >to another, but I can't move it around the 2nd drive. It says that the

    file
    > >is being used by another person or program. As I am the only user account

    on
    > >the computer and this happens after rebooting then I find it hard to
    > >believe. If another program is using the file, is there a util out there
    > >which will tell me which one and how to sever the link.
    > >
    > >I have tried running chkdsk/f in case the file system was corrupted, but
    > >that didn't solve anything
    > >
    > >Thanks
    > >John

    Works just fine now. Thanks

    Fitzy_bhoy, Jun 30, 2004
  5. Fitzy_bhoy

    °Mike° Guest

    On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 22:10:30 +0100, in
    <40e32c3a$0$292$>
    Fitzy_bhoy scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> Explorer often tries to create a preview for AVI files,
    >> and this can cause problems if the file is corrupt.
    >> Open your registry editor (Start / Run / regedit) to:
    >>
    >> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
    >> +SystemFileAssociations
    >> +.avi
    >> +shellex
    >> +PropertyHandler
    >>
    >> In the right hand window you will see (Default) with
    >> an alpha-numeric value. Delete it, or zero it.

    <snip>

    >Works just fine now. Thanks

    You're welcome.

    --