Unable to install Vista SP-2 or run iTunes

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by digger odell, Nov 13, 2010.

  1. digger odell

    digger odell Guest

    PROBLEM #1: Able to install but not open iTunes
    Recommended Solution: Install Vista Service Pack #2

    PROBLEM #2: Unable to install Vista Service Pack #2
    Error Msg: Element Not Found (0x80070490)

    RECOMMENDED SOLUTION (based on the error msg above):
    Download and run the System Update Readiness tool -- Checksur.exe
    Error Msg: "Does not apply to your system"

    If this method does not resolve the issue, perform a repair
    installation of Windows by closing all the running applications and
    reinstalling Windows Vista.

    PROBLEM #3: The Toshiba Satellite does not provide installation
    software; only the capability of restoring the laptop to its original
    factory settings (purging all newly installed applications)

    I need a workaround ITWW (in the worst way).

    digger

    digger odell, Nov 13, 2010

  2. digger odell

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 14:27:37 -0800, digger odell wrote:

    > PROBLEM #1: Able to install but not open iTunes
    > Recommended Solution: Install Vista Service Pack #2
    >
    > PROBLEM #2: Unable to install Vista Service Pack #2
    > Error Msg: Element Not Found (0x80070490)
    >
    > RECOMMENDED SOLUTION (based on the error msg above):
    > Download and run the System Update Readiness tool -- Checksur.exe
    > Error Msg: "Does not apply to your system"
    >
    > If this method does not resolve the issue, perform a repair
    > installation of Windows by closing all the running applications and
    > reinstalling Windows Vista.
    >
    > PROBLEM #3: The Toshiba Satellite does not provide installation
    > software; only the capability of restoring the laptop to its original
    > factory settings (purging all newly installed applications)
    >
    > I need a workaround ITWW (in the worst way).
    >
    > digger

    Is there a way to create a repair disc from the restore partition? This
    must be something new with Toshiba mine came with the OS on a CD.

    Meat Plow, Nov 13, 2010

  3. digger odell

    digger odell Guest

    On Nov 13, 5:37 pm, Meat Plow <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 14:27:37 -0800, digger odell wrote:
    > > PROBLEM #1: Able to install but not open  iTunes
    > >    Recommended Solution:  Install Vista Service Pack #2

    > > PROBLEM #2:  Unable to install Vista Service Pack #2
    > >    Error Msg:  Element Not Found  (0x80070490)

    > > RECOMMENDED SOLUTION (based on the error msg above):
    > >     Download and run the System Update Readiness tool -- Checksur.exe
    > >     Error Msg:  "Does not apply to your system"

    > >     If this method does not resolve the issue,  perform a repair
    > > installation of Windows by closing all the running applications and
    > > reinstalling Windows Vista.

    > > PROBLEM #3:  The Toshiba Satellite does not provide installation
    > > software; only the capability of restoring the laptop to its original
    > > factory settings (purging all newly installed applications)

    > > I need a workaround ITWW  (in the worst way).

    > > digger

    > Is there a way to create a repair disc from the restore partition? This
    > must be something new with Toshiba mine came with the OS on a CD.
    >
    > --

    Toshiba's TS verifies that the safest approach would be to use the
    original CDs rather than trying to make the repairs using the existing
    restore partition. In other words, without the original software,
    there would be some risk of losing some or all newly installed
    applications. Consider yourself lucky to have the OS on CD from
    Toshiba.

    My thoughts at this point would be to systematically move to each
    previously created restore point, then try to install SP-2.

    digger odell, Nov 13, 2010
  4. digger odell

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 15:16:41 -0800, digger odell wrote:

    > On Nov 13, 5:37 pm, Meat Plow <> wrote:
    >> On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 14:27:37 -0800, digger odell wrote:
    >> > PROBLEM #1: Able to install but not open  iTunes
    >> >    Recommended Solution:  Install Vista Service Pack #2

    >> > PROBLEM #2:  Unable to install Vista Service Pack #2
    >> >    Error Msg:  Element Not Found  (0x80070490)

    >> > RECOMMENDED SOLUTION (based on the error msg above):
    >> >     Download and run the System Update Readiness tool --
    >> >     Checksur.exe Error Msg:  "Does not apply to your system"

    >> >     If this method does not resolve the issue,  perform a repair
    >> > installation of Windows by closing all the running applications and
    >> > reinstalling Windows Vista.

    >> > PROBLEM #3:  The Toshiba Satellite does not provide installation
    >> > software; only the capability of restoring the laptop to its original
    >> > factory settings (purging all newly installed applications)

    >> > I need a workaround ITWW  (in the worst way).

    >> > digger

    >> Is there a way to create a repair disc from the restore partition? This
    >> must be something new with Toshiba mine came with the OS on a CD.
    >>
    >> --

    > Toshiba's TS verifies that the safest approach would be to use the
    > original CDs rather than trying to make the repairs using the existing
    > restore partition. In other words, without the original software, there
    > would be some risk of losing some or all newly installed applications.
    > Consider yourself lucky to have the OS on CD from Toshiba.

    Never even used it. HDD went south and installed W7 on it last year.

    > My thoughts at this point would be to systematically move to each
    > previously created restore point, then try to install SP-2.

    That's a decent suggestion.

    Meat Plow, Nov 13, 2010
  5. digger odell

    Dan C Guest

    On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 14:27:37 -0800, digger odell wrote:

    > PROBLEM #1: Able to install but not open iTunes
    > Recommended Solution: Install Vista Service Pack #2
    >
    > PROBLEM #2: Unable to install Vista Service Pack #2
    > Error Msg: Element Not Found (0x80070490)
    >
    > RECOMMENDED SOLUTION (based on the error msg above):
    > Download and run the System Update Readiness tool -- Checksur.exe
    > Error Msg: "Does not apply to your system"
    >
    > If this method does not resolve the issue, perform a repair
    > installation of Windows by closing all the running applications and
    > reinstalling Windows Vista.
    >
    > PROBLEM #3: The Toshiba Satellite does not provide installation
    > software; only the capability of restoring the laptop to its original
    > factory settings (purging all newly installed applications)
    >
    > I need a workaround ITWW (in the worst way).
    >
    > digger

    Easy:

    1. Format your hard drive.
    2. Install Linux.

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he sold Eyore to the glue factory.

    Dan C, Nov 13, 2010
  6. digger odell

    joevan Guest

    On 13 Nov 2010 23:43:05 GMT, Dan C <>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 14:27:37 -0800, digger odell wrote:
    >
    >> PROBLEM #1: Able to install but not open iTunes
    >> Recommended Solution: Install Vista Service Pack #2
    >>
    >> PROBLEM #2: Unable to install Vista Service Pack #2
    >> Error Msg: Element Not Found (0x80070490)
    >>
    >> RECOMMENDED SOLUTION (based on the error msg above):
    >> Download and run the System Update Readiness tool -- Checksur.exe
    >> Error Msg: "Does not apply to your system"
    >>
    >> If this method does not resolve the issue, perform a repair
    >> installation of Windows by closing all the running applications and
    >> reinstalling Windows Vista.
    >>
    >> PROBLEM #3: The Toshiba Satellite does not provide installation
    >> software; only the capability of restoring the laptop to its original
    >> factory settings (purging all newly installed applications)
    >>
    >> I need a workaround ITWW (in the worst way).
    >>
    >> digger

    >Easy:
    >
    >1. Format your hard drive.
    >2. Install Linux.

    You must be retarded. Everything is so easy for you. Same old thing
    day in day out. I was worried you might miss this one. Now go soak
    your head in Epsom salts. Oh yeah, do format your hard drive and don't
    install anything else on it for at least a year.

    joevan, Nov 13, 2010
  7. digger odell

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 23:43:05 +0000, Dan C wrote:

    > On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 14:27:37 -0800, digger odell wrote:
    >
    >> PROBLEM #1: Able to install but not open iTunes
    >> Recommended Solution: Install Vista Service Pack #2
    >>
    >> PROBLEM #2: Unable to install Vista Service Pack #2
    >> Error Msg: Element Not Found (0x80070490)
    >>
    >> RECOMMENDED SOLUTION (based on the error msg above):
    >> Download and run the System Update Readiness tool -- Checksur.exe
    >> Error Msg: "Does not apply to your system"
    >>
    >> If this method does not resolve the issue, perform a repair
    >> installation of Windows by closing all the running applications and
    >> reinstalling Windows Vista.
    >>
    >> PROBLEM #3: The Toshiba Satellite does not provide installation
    >> software; only the capability of restoring the laptop to its original
    >> factory settings (purging all newly installed applications)
    >>
    >> I need a workaround ITWW (in the worst way).
    >>
    >> digger

    > Easy:

    Retarded reply snipped.

    Meat Plow, Nov 14, 2010
  8. digger odell

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 18:58:10 -0500, joevan wrote:

    > On 13 Nov 2010 23:43:05 GMT, Dan C <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 14:27:37 -0800, digger odell wrote:
    >>
    >>> PROBLEM #1: Able to install but not open iTunes
    >>> Recommended Solution: Install Vista Service Pack #2
    >>>
    >>> PROBLEM #2: Unable to install Vista Service Pack #2
    >>> Error Msg: Element Not Found (0x80070490)
    >>>
    >>> RECOMMENDED SOLUTION (based on the error msg above):
    >>> Download and run the System Update Readiness tool -- Checksur.exe
    >>> Error Msg: "Does not apply to your system"
    >>>
    >>> If this method does not resolve the issue, perform a repair
    >>> installation of Windows by closing all the running applications and
    >>> reinstalling Windows Vista.
    >>>
    >>> PROBLEM #3: The Toshiba Satellite does not provide installation
    >>> software; only the capability of restoring the laptop to its original
    >>> factory settings (purging all newly installed applications)
    >>>
    >>> I need a workaround ITWW (in the worst way).
    >>>
    >>> digger

    >>Easy:
    >>
    >>1. Format your hard drive.
    >>2. Install Linux.

    > You must be retarded. Everything is so easy for you. Same old thing day
    > in day out. I was worried you might miss this one. Now go soak your
    > head in Epsom salts. Oh yeah, do format your hard drive and don't
    > install anything else on it for at least a year.

    Dan gets a kick out of the possibility of people trying to figure out
    what makes him tick. I'm confident it's a mental issue. Feeling you are
    superior to others only to be kicked around like a dog can only result in
    a further depreciation of his feelings of self worth. But one has to
    wonder where does his free fall stop? There doesn't seem to be a limit.
    That must be a part of his self-loathing, nothing else fits the profile.

    Meat Plow, Nov 14, 2010
  9. digger odell

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 23:43:05 +0000, Dan C wrote:

    > On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 14:27:37 -0800, digger odell wrote:
    >
    >> PROBLEM #1: Able to install but not open iTunes
    >> Recommended Solution: Install Vista Service Pack #2
    >>
    >> PROBLEM #2: Unable to install Vista Service Pack #2
    >> Error Msg: Element Not Found (0x80070490)
    >>
    >> RECOMMENDED SOLUTION (based on the error msg above):
    >> Download and run the System Update Readiness tool -- Checksur.exe
    >> Error Msg: "Does not apply to your system"
    >>
    >> If this method does not resolve the issue, perform a repair
    >> installation of Windows by closing all the running applications and
    >> reinstalling Windows Vista.
    >>
    >> PROBLEM #3: The Toshiba Satellite does not provide installation
    >> software; only the capability of restoring the laptop to its original
    >> factory settings (purging all newly installed applications)
    >>
    >> I need a workaround ITWW (in the worst way).
    >>
    >> digger

    > Easy:
    >
    > 1. Format your hard drive.
    > 2. Install Linux.

    Do I detect a variation on a theme here?

    no hace mucho tiempo que vivía un hidalgo de los de lanza en
    astillero, adarga antigua, rocín flaco y galgo corredor."
    -Cervantes, 'Don Quixote'

    Aardvark, Nov 14, 2010