Unable to get my XP desktop up after messing with the registry

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Softekcom, May 10, 2005.

  1. Softekcom

    Softekcom Guest

    Hi there
    I recently uninstalled kazaa from my XP laptop. However, yesterday whe
    i found that the registry entries were still there, i deleted the kaza
    folder
    Since then the desktop does not come up after i start up and log in
    The monitor displays the Dell background image. I can bring up the Tas
    Manager by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del, but nothing else
    I've obviously broken something
    Would appreciate any advice on how to go about repairing the system an
    getting the desktop back
    Thanks and regards
    softekco
    softekcom-at-gmail-dot-co

    --
    Softekco
    Softekcom's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=1257

    Softekcom, May 10, 2005

  2. Softekcom

    Guest

    A temporary fix is to bring up the Task Manager, go to File then New
    Task (Run) and in the box that appears type explorer

    If it doesnt re-appear, then do a repair install of WindowsXP,
    or if it does, but not permnently then try adding
    c:\WINDOWS\System32\explorer.exe to your startup programs. Hope this
    helps :)

    FingAZ

    Softekcom wrote:
    > Hi there:
    > I recently uninstalled kazaa from my XP laptop. However, yesterday

    when
    > i found that the registry entries were still there, i deleted the

    kazaa
    > folder.
    > Since then the desktop does not come up after i start up and log in.
    > The monitor displays the Dell background image. I can bring up the

    Task
    > Manager by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del, but nothing else.
    > I've obviously broken something.
    > Would appreciate any advice on how to go about repairing the system

    and

    http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=12574
    > View this thread:

    http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=1819069497

    , May 11, 2005

  3. Softekcom

    Dave Lear Guest

    "Softekcom" wrote in message

    > I recently uninstalled kazaa from my XP laptop. However, yesterday
    > when i found that the registry entries were still there, i deleted the
    > kazaa folder.
    > Since then the desktop does not come up after i start up and log in.
    > The monitor displays the Dell background image. I can bring up the
    > Task Manager by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del, but nothing else.
    > I've obviously broken something.
    > Would appreciate any advice on how to go about repairing the system
    > and getting the desktop back.

    How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307654

    Dave Lear, May 11, 2005
  4. Softekcom

    Softekcom Guest

    Thanks for the tip. I tried restoring the last good settings from th
    safe mode, but it did not work. So i reinstalled XP with the option t
    retain existing data. This has worked, i can now start the laptop an
    all my data is safe. All that I need to do is reinstall all my othe
    software including broadband and printer drivers. Thanks once again

    Softekcom, May 12, 2005
  5. Softekcom

    spammenot Guest

    Softekcom wrote:
    > Thanks for the tip. I tried restoring the last good settings from the
    > safe mode, but it did not work. So i reinstalled XP with the option to
    > retain existing data. This has worked, i can now start the laptop and
    > all my data is safe. All that I need to do is reinstall all my other
    > software including broadband and printer drivers. Thanks once again.

    The other option would have been to reinstall Kazaa as this would have
    put those registry entries back into the registry. A quick re-uninstall
    and away you go.

    spammenot, May 12, 2005
  6. Softekcom

    ellis_jay Guest

    Softekcom wrote:
    > Hi there:
    > I recently uninstalled kazaa from my XP laptop. However, yesterday
    > when i found that the registry entries were still there, i deleted
    > the kazaa folder.
    > Since then the desktop does not come up after i start up and log in.

    Weird. I did not have that problem.

    --
    He released government from the restraint of law.
    ____Lord Acton on Niccolo Machiavelli (1469-1527), George W. Bush, and

    Ellis_Jay

    ellis_jay, May 13, 2005