Unable to Format DVD-RW

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by abbottkd@googlemail.com, Dec 9, 2008.

  1. Guest

    Hi Guys, Can any of you experts help me?

    I have a Panasonic DMR-EZ27. The scenario goes like this.

    I record a program from the TV broadcast, then I finalise the DVD so
    that I can play it in another player. That all works fine.

    I then put it back in the Panasonic and format the DVD-RW. It says
    that its done it, only it hasn't. The program has gone, but I cannot
    record to the disc, it now says that it is "protected" but wont give
    me any option to "unprotect" it. This option is only supposed to be
    for DVD RAM.

    If I try format again, it fails, unable to complete. Disc is
    protected.

    So, I put the DVD-RW in my PC. I format it with NERO and then try it
    again in the Panasonic. Unrecognised disc. Back to the PC, format
    under windows, but still unrecognised disc in the Panasonic. How do I
    format a DVD-RW so that the Panasonic DVDR will recognise the disc?

    If I take a new disc, or a disk that has been recorded on but not
    finalised, format always works OK.

    I'm confused.............anyone any ideas........Thanks.

    , Dec 9, 2008

  2. RickMerrill Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi Guys, Can any of you experts help me?
    >
    > I have a Panasonic DMR-EZ27. The scenario goes like this.
    >
    > I record a program from the TV broadcast, then I finalise the DVD so
    > that I can play it in another player. That all works fine.
    >
    > I then put it back in the Panasonic and format the DVD-RW. It says
    > that its done it, only it hasn't. The program has gone, but I cannot
    > record to the disc, it now says that it is "protected" but wont give
    > me any option to "unprotect" it. This option is only supposed to be
    > for DVD RAM.
    >
    > If I try format again, it fails, unable to complete. Disc is
    > protected.
    >
    > So, I put the DVD-RW in my PC. I format it with NERO and then try it
    > again in the Panasonic. Unrecognised disc. Back to the PC, format
    > under windows, but still unrecognised disc in the Panasonic. How do I
    > format a DVD-RW so that the Panasonic DVDR will recognise the disc?
    >
    > If I take a new disc, or a disk that has been recorded on but not
    > finalised, format always works OK.
    >
    > I'm confused.............anyone any ideas........Thanks.

    When you use Nero the operation you are looking for is "Erase". It is
    possible that the format option has changed what the Panasonic wants
    because there actually are a number of formats.

    RickMerrill, Dec 9, 2008

  3. Guest

    Hi Rick,

    Tried that. I have Nero 7. Selected DVD, Erase Re-writable DVD, it
    takes about 17 mins to do a full erase, but the Panasonic DVD Recorder
    still says unrecognised disc and won't let me do anything with it.

    , Dec 9, 2008
  4. Guest

    > I'm not an expert, and one may shoot this down, but did you
    > think of unfinalizing it first?

    There is no such option.

    , Dec 10, 2008
  5. Guest

    >Try this program

    >Super Blank 3.01

    Not sure if I want to do that, I have a new Vista machine and don't
    want to screw it. The web site says:-

    "A 3rd party developed software solution designed for the mass-
    blanking of CD-RW discs in multiple writers. . "

    I still don't understand why/how the Panasonic DVDR manages to put the
    DVD-RW into protected mode and then not give me the option to
    unprotect it. I have a feeleing that is the crux of the problem. I
    might have permanently made the disk unreadable in the DVDR by trying
    to erase/format under windows as I guess that uses "packet writing".

    , Dec 10, 2008
  6. Guest

    wrote:

    > >Try this program

    > >Super Blank 3.01

    > Not sure if I want to do that, I have a new Vista machine and don't
    > want to screw it. The web site says:-
    >
    > "A 3rd party developed software solution designed for the mass-
    > blanking of CD-RW discs in multiple writers. . "
    >
    > I still don't understand why/how the Panasonic DVDR manages to put the
    > DVD-RW into protected mode and then not give me the option to
    > unprotect it. I have a feeleing that is the crux of the problem. I
    > might have permanently made the disk unreadable in the DVDR by trying
    > to erase/format under windows as I guess that uses "packet writing".

    Is this happening with all of your -RW discs? It is possible you just
    have a bad one. If you have a computer, try burning something to it.
    If it will burn okay, then erase the disc, and try formatting it again
    on your Panasonic.

    Personally, I only use +RW discs. They do not have to be finalized to
    be read on my computer and they erase faster. The only time you need to
    finalize a +RW disc is if you want to see a menu on a stand-alone
    player.

    -Bill

    , Dec 10, 2008
  7. Guest

    Bill,

    I don't tend to finalise many but it has happened before. I have tried
    burning to the DVD on the computer its fine, I can then erase it or
    format it on the PC but the DVD Recorder doesn't want to know it any
    more. It might even be the DVD's. I've only used some Kodak DVD-RW's
    up until now but also have some Panasonic ones that I will try.

    I didn't know until today that DVD+RW's don't need to be finalised. I
    think I might give up on this and just buy some +RW's !

    Thanks, Keith.

    , Dec 10, 2008