Unable to erase DVD-RW

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Terry Pinnell, Jan 2, 2006.

  1. Not for the first time I'm baffled why I'm unable to erase an
    apparently valid DVD-RW. I use Nero Express|Disc Erase|Full erase and
    it initially forecasts about 65 mins and starts to do the job. But
    then after about a minute or so, the progress bar just rapidly moves
    across towards 100%, the disc ejects, and I see a message 'Write
    Error'. I can Quick Erase it, without apparent error, but experience
    indicates that is sometimes inadequate to allow reliable re-burning.

    FWIW, if I open this disc in IsoBuster, I see:

    DVD-RW
    Open Session 1
    Track 01
    Name LBA Size Size (Bytes) Modified
    Track 01 0 4.38 GB 4,706,074,624

    ---------
    And if I open it in Nero Info Tool, under the Disc tab I see:

    -General
    Type: DVD-RW
    Capacity: 00:00.01 (0 MB)
    -Extended Information
    Tracks: n/a
    Sessions: n/a
    Blank Capacity: n/a
    Manufacturer ID: RITEK000V11A
    Disc Status: Open, not finalized
    -Content
    File System(s):
    Title: n/a
    Date: n/a
    Publisher n/a
    Application n/a

    From that, can any of the experts suggest how I might proceed please?

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Jan 2, 2006

  2. Terry Pinnell

    Bob Guest

    On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 16:03:15 +0000, Terry Pinnell
    <> wrote:

    >Not for the first time I'm baffled why I'm unable to erase an
    >apparently valid DVD-RW. I use Nero Express|Disc Erase|Full erase and
    >it initially forecasts about 65 mins and starts to do the job.

    I ran into the same problem with a +RW once. I had to full erase it in
    Decrypter.

    Nero is more bug-ridden than most people imagine.

    If you are using RWs for a DVDR, do a full erase first thing before
    using them in the DVDR.

    --

    Merry Christmas!

    http://www.illwillpress.com/xmas.html

    Bob, Jan 2, 2006

  3. Terry Pinnell

    . Guest

    Use a hammer !!!!

    ., Jan 2, 2006
  4. Terry Pinnell <> wrote:

    >Not for the first time I'm baffled why I'm unable to erase an
    >apparently valid DVD-RW. I use Nero Express|Disc Erase|Full erase and
    >it initially forecasts about 65 mins and starts to do the job. But
    >then after about a minute or so, the progress bar just rapidly moves
    >across towards 100%, the disc ejects, and I see a message 'Write
    >Error'.

    <snip>

    I reckon the cause is inCD. I had disabled inCD in my Startup programs
    manager, but still found a program inCDsrv.exe (described as 'inCD
    helper') running in the XP Task List. Anyone know why that should be
    please? Why should it run independently? And exactly how does it
    'help'?

    Anyway, I am considering uninstalling inCD, as this is not the first
    time I've had bizarre behaviour which I've eventually decided is
    somehow caused by it. Trouble is, it is convenient to be able to use a
    CD as a sort of gigantic floppy, and I'll miss that. Maybe a USB flash
    device is the answer...

    I've also emailed Nero Tech Support, but on past experience not
    hopeful of a reply.

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Jan 3, 2006