    technical support as I've been out of a job for a while due to my heart
    surgery. Any help on this will be highly appreciated!; Thank you all in
    advance!.
    =?Utf-8?B?SGVucnkgV2FoYmU=?=, Sep 4, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?SGVucnkgV2FoYmU=?=

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    Hello.
    Is this a 64-bit specific issue? You may have stumbled into the wrong
    newsgroup.

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Sep 5, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?SGVucnkgV2FoYmU=?=

    Graham Guest

    Henry Wahbe wrote:
    > Hello! I've been unable to download Real Player on my computer because(this
    > is the message which I keep getting at the end of the failed download): I do
    > not have administrative access to windows registry, and therefore need to
    > contact my system administrator, whom in this case is obviously Microsoft!. I
    > have purchased my computor at a flee market last year and therefore I have no
    > clue who the original seller is! I've been on this since last night and as a
    > result I have slept about three hours!; I absolutely need to download real
    > player in order to have access to an ammazing internet radio station site
    > which I listened to at a friend's house yesterday!; And I cannot affore the
    > $45.00 plus tax which is the regular fee when one seeks from Microsoft
    > technical support as I've been out of a job for a while due to my heart
    > surgery. Any help on this will be highly appreciated!; Thank you all in
    > advance!.

    You could try downloading it with something different, for example
    Firefox (www.mozilla.com) which is a free web browser. Somehow I think
    that getting it downloaded is only going to be the start of your
    problems as it sounds like you don't have an Administrator id.

    Graham.
    Graham, Sep 5, 2006
  4. The standard (free) version attempts to install but will not run on the
    64bit platform. Don't know about the payware version?

    Tony. . .
    Tony Sperling, Sep 5, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?SGVucnkgV2FoYmU=?=

    Graham Guest

    Tony Sperling wrote:
    > The standard (free) version attempts to install but will not run on the
    > 64bit platform. Don't know about the payware version?

    The OP said he was having problems downloading it, and that the problem
    was "not have administrative access to windows registry". I'm not sure
    what that's got to do with downloading it, but the symptom of RealPlayer
    not installing on x64 is that it says quite clearly that it won't
    install on x64. I suspect this is what led Aaron to suspect this is not
    an x64 issue at all as the symptoms don't match.

    Graham.
    Graham, Sep 5, 2006
  6. I have RP 10.5 (free download) on 64-bit XP and it works just fine.

    --

    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    Gary S. Terhune, Sep 5, 2006
  7. Real Player does not support x64. You cannot install it or run it.

    Colin Barnhorst, Sep 5, 2006
  8. =?Utf-8?B?SGVucnkgV2FoYmU=?=

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    Correct! I suspect this is not a 64-bit issue.

    Also... For reference, the lesser-known RealPlayer 10 Enterprise installs
    and runs fine on x64. I prefer using it anyway, it contains less of the
    RealPlayer annoyances.

    http://www.realnetworks.com/products/rpe/index.html

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Sep 5, 2006
  9. Aaron:
    Faster, lighter and x64 friendly...
    Try Media Player Classic
    (http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Media_Player_Classic.htm) in combination
    with Real Player Alternative
    (http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Real_Alternative.htm).
    Freeware, no payware.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Sep 5, 2006
  10. =?Utf-8?B?SGVucnkgV2FoYmU=?=

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    RealPlayer Enterprise is also free.
    I was under the impression that Real Alternative was "questionably legal."
    :p

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Sep 6, 2006
  11. =?Utf-8?B?SGVucnkgV2FoYmU=?=

    Graham Guest

    Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > I have RP 10.5 (free download) on 64-bit XP and it works just fine.

    Which verison of it do you have? Older ones worked, but newer ones block
    installation on x64. A stupid trick Apple then copied with iTunes.

    Graham.
    Graham, Sep 6, 2006
  12. Aaron:
    It is just a decoder, after all.
    That should not be illegal.
    Encoding might be questionable and require some fee.
    Dumped Real Player long time ago.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Sep 6, 2006
  13. 6.0.12.1483, which is, I believe, the latest possible (it says there's no
    more updates.)

    I'm at my wit's end trying to figure out how I managed it, Graham. And Wife
    won't let me uninstall and experiment. It's possible that I used a
    stand-alone EXE installer that I had previously cached,
    RealPlayer10-5GOLD_bb.exe , and then used the Update functions. I just can't
    remember. Those two days of drivers and software installation are all a blur
    to me now, even though it was only ten days ago!

    Heck, for all I know, I found the Enterprise version and installed that.
    Without being able to experimant, I can't tell. Don't know what Enterprise
    version looks like, for sure.

    --

    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    Gary S. Terhune, Sep 6, 2006
  14. You make life easier, Carlos. I have been searching for this occasionally
    but always find myself in a maze of links that leads no-where but the next
    maze. I am wary of such things ending up in Viral 'Cul de Sac'. Now it is up
    and running, thank YOU!

    By the way, I am looking for something that can play *.Vcr files, it's a
    file format that was invented for Video Conferencing, I think - Microsoft
    has used those in some games, and ATI use them to, but I don't know if they
    are all mutually compatible. I found a 'ZoomPlayer' that was said to handle
    those, but no luck! Ever heard of any of this?

    Ah - and the zoomplayer looks interesting all the same!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Sep 6, 2006
  15. =?Utf-8?B?SGVucnkgV2FoYmU=?=

    Admiral Q Guest

    "Graham" <> wrote in message
    > Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    >> I have RP 10.5 (free download) on 64-bit XP and it works just fine.

    > Which verison of it do you have? Older ones worked, but newer ones block
    > installation on x64. A stupid trick Apple then copied with iTunes.
    >
    > Graham.

    Yeah, that's why I kept my older version of the Real Player and QuickTime
    installers - I looked where the download installers cache the real installer
    files too and copied them to my Software updates folder for safe keeping.
    I've also noticed the the newer Adobe 7.08 reader IE plugin crashes with the
    32-bit version of IE, but unintalling and reverting to the 7.05 reader IE
    plugin works just fine, as much as the Flash 9, crashed continuesly in the
    32-bit of IE, but reverting toe Flash 8 works fine. It seems so stupid that
    the software manufacturers have a 32-bit product that works fine in 32-bit
    mode on x64 OS's, but they are blocking them not letting them work - oh but
    I know, corporate America and their greed - if they block the 32-bit
    versions that work, and create 64-bit versions that work has @$$, then they
    can charge more money and swindle us out of that money - how stupid of me to
    forget capitalism????

    --
    Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!

    Google is your Friend!
    http://www.google.com
    Admiral Q, Sep 6, 2006
  16. =?Utf-8?B?SGVucnkgV2FoYmU=?=

    Admiral Q Guest

    > Real Player does not support x64. You cannot install it or run it.
    >
    > "Henry Wahbe" <Henry > wrote in message
    >> Hello! I've been unable to download Real Player on my computer
    >> because(this
    >> is the message which I keep getting at the end of the failed download): I
    >> do
    >> not have administrative access to windows registry, and therefore need to
    >> contact my system administrator, whom in this case is obviously
    >> Microsoft!. I
    >> have purchased my computor at a flee market last year and therefore I
    >> have no
    >> clue who the original seller is! I've been on this since last night and
    >> as a
    >> result I have slept about three hours!; I absolutely need to download
    >> real
    >> player in order to have access to an ammazing internet radio station site
    >> which I listened to at a friend's house yesterday!; And I cannot affore
    >> the
    >> $45.00 plus tax which is the regular fee when one seeks from Microsoft
    >> technical support as I've been out of a job for a while due to my heart
    >> surgery. Any help on this will be highly appreciated!; Thank you all in
    >> advance!.

    The older version of it and a lot of other 32-bit applications do - the
    software manufacturers are blocking it on purpose so they can release 64-bit
    versions and charge for them - I know, I've spoken with insiders at several
    companies that know this is what is happening. See my post above on some of
    them that do - i.e. older versions of QuickTime, Adobe Acrobat Reader, Real
    Play and Adobe aka MacroMedia Flash and Shockwave - all are confirmed as
    they currently are installed and running fine on both Win2k3 x64 and WinXP
    x64 servers/workstations.
    Just like I just found out the latest patch for Roxio Creator v8, disables
    it working on x64, but if you don't apply the patch it works fine - that's
    because as GPPower posted above, Roxio just released a fully x64 version 9
    at $99.99 US, so of course the motive is GREED, but version 8 worked fine
    for me the past year on both...

    Admiral Q, Sep 6, 2006
  17. I don't know if they want to charge for the x64 version or if there are
    issues that they can't support at the moment. I have the Free Enterprise
    version running on my x64. I only use it at all because I have some
    subscriptions.

    Colin Barnhorst, Sep 6, 2006
  18. =?Utf-8?B?SGVucnkgV2FoYmU=?=

    Graham Guest

    Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > 6.0.12.1483, which is, I believe, the latest possible (it says there's no
    > more updates.)
    >
    > I'm at my wit's end trying to figure out how I managed it, Graham. And Wife
    > won't let me uninstall and experiment. It's possible that I used a
    > stand-alone EXE installer that I had previously cached,
    > RealPlayer10-5GOLD_bb.exe , and then used the Update functions. I just can't
    > remember. Those two days of drivers and software installation are all a blur
    > to me now, even though it was only ten days ago!

    My 6.0.12.1235 refuses to update any more, or at least it finds no
    updates. I assume Real's got updates blocked too.

    I've now got *five* different downloads of 6.0.12.1483 (according to the
    installer file anyway), and every one of them is a different size! I've
    not experienced a bad download of anything for years apart from a
    truncated huge ISO or two (and it was pretty obvious they were broken),
    so I tend to discount that as a reason.

    Two of them I downloaded this evening from different links on [un]Real's
    web site; one is 12 366 KB, the other is 13 210 KB. Previous efforts
    were 13 206 KB, 12 366 KB and 12 374 KB. Every one of them refuses to
    install on x64, simply because it is x64. I've tried the Windows XP
    compatibilty trick and that doesn't work (actually, I've not found
    anything that does make work).

    I don't want to use the enterprise version because I sure as heck aren't
    going to give them the name of the company I really work for, and I
    don't like lying even to overcome what I regard as rampant stupidity.

    Companies which does this can behave as though they have their heads
    stuck where the sun doesn't shine, but I *will* remember these stupid
    tricks in future. And if anyone is wondering, no it won't make me *more*
    likely to use their products and services!

    Graham.
    Graham, Sep 6, 2006
  19. Sorry, Tony.
    I don't have a single clue about the .vcr format.
    I usually go to www.videohelp.com but there is no reference there.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Sep 6, 2006