    Thanks for any help!

    Browser: IE
    System: XP

    Kelly, Nov 7, 2004

  2. Kelly

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Toolman Tim, Nov 7, 2004

  3. Kelly

    | Hi:
    |
    | Help! I am unable to download any MS office templates from my browser.
    | When I click on the download button, nothing happens. The button just
    | depresses - that's it. What can I do to accept downloads via my browser?
    | Thanks for any help!
    |
    | Browser: IE
    | System: XP

    I'm guessing you have SP2 installed? Downloads are often blocked. Do you
    have a new line right below the toolbar that says you need to click on it to
    download your files?

    You could also try right-clicking on the link, and select "Save target
    as..." from the menu.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 7, 2004
  4. Kelly

    Kelly Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    > "Kelly" <kelly@NoTo*spam.com> wrote in message
    > | Hi:
    > | Help! I am unable to download any MS office templates from my
    > browser.
    > | When I click on the download button, nothing happens. The button
    > just
    > | depresses - that's it. What can I do to accept downloads via my
    > browser?
    > | Thanks for any help!
    > | Browser: IE
    > | System: XP

    > I'm guessing you have SP2 installed? Downloads are often blocked. Do
    > you
    > have a new line right below the toolbar that says you need to click on
    > it to
    > download your files?
    > You could also try right-clicking on the link, and select "Save target
    > as..." from the menu.

    Thank you for your reply! Yes I have SP2 installed, usually, this yellow
    notice appears, but for this site, the yellow notice "..... click to
    accept downloads" doesn't appear. Nothing happens. :(

    Kelly, Nov 7, 2004
  5. Kelly

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Kelly" <kelly@NoTo*spam.com> wrote in news:Nvgjd.7058$O11.6402
    @newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

    > Hi:
    >
    > Help! I am unable to download any MS office templates from my browser.
    > When I click on the download button, nothing happens. The button just
    > depresses - that's it. What can I do to accept downloads via my browser?
    > Thanks for any help!
    >
    > Browser: IE
    > System: XP

    If you have a firewall running on the machine, maybe you have it configured
    in such a manner that computer ports are being blocked by the FW and you
    cannot download the software. Or maybe something else on the machine is
    blocking the download.

    You could try Mozilla FireFox, which is free, and is very close to IE in
    functionality and see if it will do the download for you. You can to that
    as a test to see if IE is mis-configured; the FW is blocking the download,
    etc, etc.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Nov 7, 2004
  6. Kelly

    > "Kelly" <kelly@NoTo*spam.com> wrote in message

    > You could also try right-clicking on the link, and select "Save target
    > as..." from the menu.

    I'm unable to "save target as" because it is a button.... could it be
    something to do with my browser settings? Everything is on normal
    level...not especially high level security. I do have Norton Anti-Virus,
    Firewall, Spybot, Ad-Aware, SpyBlaster installed....

    Kelly, Nov 7, 2004
  7. Kelly

    Kelly Guest

    "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    > "Kelly" <kelly@NoTo*spam.com> wrote in news:Nvgjd.7058$O11.6402
    > @newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:
    >> Hi:
    >> Help! I am unable to download any MS office templates from my
    >> browser.
    >> When I click on the download button, nothing happens. The button just
    >> depresses - that's it. What can I do to accept downloads via my
    >> browser?
    >> Thanks for any help!

    > Browser: IE
    >> System: XP

    > If you have a firewall running on the machine, maybe you have it
    > configured
    > in such a manner that computer ports are being blocked by the FW and
    > you
    > cannot download the software. Or maybe something else on the machine
    > is
    > blocking the download.
    > You could try Mozilla FireFox, which is free, and is very close to IE
    > in
    > functionality and see if it will do the download for you. You can to
    > that
    > as a test to see if IE is mis-configured; the FW is blocking the
    > download,
    > etc, etc.
    > Duane :)

    Thanks for your reply, yes I have Mozilla Firefox, but same thing there
    too. When I click the download button, nothing happens. It only
    depresses... all my firewall and anti-virus settings are on "recommended
    mode". Could it be that installing spybot or ad-aware program prevent me
    from downloading these files? I can download programs from other sites
    easily, just the ones at Microsoft.com..... very odd.

    Kelly, Nov 7, 2004
  8. Kelly

    | "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    | > "Kelly" <kelly@NoTo*spam.com> wrote in news:Nvgjd.7058$O11.6402
    | > @newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:
    | >> Hi:
    | >> Help! I am unable to download any MS office templates from my
    | >> browser.
    | >> When I click on the download button, nothing happens. The button just
    | >> depresses - that's it. What can I do to accept downloads via my
    | >> browser?
    | >> Thanks for any help!
    | > Browser: IE
    | >> System: XP
    |

    | > If you have a firewall running on the machine, maybe you have it
    | > configured
    | > in such a manner that computer ports are being blocked by the FW and
    | > you
    | > cannot download the software. Or maybe something else on the machine
    | > is
    | > blocking the download.
    | > You could try Mozilla FireFox, which is free, and is very close to IE
    | > in
    | > functionality and see if it will do the download for you. You can to
    | > that
    | > as a test to see if IE is mis-configured; the FW is blocking the
    | > download,
    | > etc, etc.
    | > Duane :)
    |
    | Thanks for your reply, yes I have Mozilla Firefox, but same thing there
    | too. When I click the download button, nothing happens. It only
    | depresses... all my firewall and anti-virus settings are on "recommended
    | mode". Could it be that installing spybot or ad-aware program prevent me
    | from downloading these files? I can download programs from other sites
    | easily, just the ones at Microsoft.com..... very odd.

    Post a link - I'll try it and see what happens from my computer.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 7, 2004
  9. Kelly

    > "Kelly" <kelly@NoTo*spam.com> wrote in message

    > | "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    > | > "Kelly" <kelly@NoTo*spam.com> wrote in news:Nvgjd.7058$O11.6402

    > Post a link - I'll try it and see what happens from my computer.

    Thank you! Here's the link...

    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/TC011101551033.aspx?CategoryID=CT062100861033

    Kelly, Nov 7, 2004
  10. Kelly

    | "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    |
    | > "Kelly" <kelly@NoTo*spam.com> wrote in message
    |
    | > | "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    |
    | > Post a link - I'll try it and see what happens from my computer.
    |
    | Thank you! Here's the link...

    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/TC011101551033.aspx?CategoryID=CT062100861033

    Okay, this download site requires 1) cookies, and 2) activeX (after all, it
    IS Microsoft <g>). Spyware Blaster and possibly other programs stop ActiveX
    from installing. Also in the security and advanced settings for IE are
    options for cookies and activeX. Take a minute to see if you have
    SpywareBlaster from Javacool installed. If so, you might temporarily disable
    it. If that isn't one of your problems, then you may need to get into the IE
    settings. But since Mozilla isn't downloading either, I'm leaning towards
    SpywareBlaster, since it protects Mozilla too.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 7, 2004
  11. Kelly

    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> "Kelly" <kelly@NoTo*spam.com> wrote in message

    >> | "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message

    >> Post a link - I'll try it and see what happens from my computer.

    > Thank you! Here's the link...
    >
    > http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/TC011101551033.aspx?Catego
    > ryID=CT062100861033

    I went to the download site with Firefox and had no problems doing Accept
    on the license agreement and then to the final part of the download that
    was going to download 0110155.cab file to my machine. It seems that
    something on your machine is blocking you from doing it.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Nov 7, 2004
  12. Kelly

    > Okay, this download site requires 1) cookies, and 2) activeX (after
    > all, it
    > IS Microsoft <g>). Spyware Blaster and possibly other programs stop
    > ActiveX
    > from installing. Also in the security and advanced settings for IE are
    > options for cookies and activeX. Take a minute to see if you have
    > SpywareBlaster from Javacool installed. If so, you might temporarily
    > disable
    > it. If that isn't one of your problems, then you may need to get into
    > the IE
    > settings. But since Mozilla isn't downloading either, I'm leaning
    > towards
    > SpywareBlaster, since it protects Mozilla too.

    I just now disabled: spybot, spyware blaster and guard, Norton firewall,
    anti-virus, brought all my browser security settings to Low... still
    nothing.... *sigh* maybe it's activeX controls... should I go into IE
    tools---> Internet Options ---> advanced tab? It's all greek to me...
    sorry, and thanks for you trouble!

    Kelly, Nov 7, 2004
  13. Kelly

    > I went to the download site with Firefox and had no problems doing
    > Accept
    > on the license agreement and then to the final part of the download
    > that
    > was going to download 0110155.cab file to my machine. It seems that
    > something on your machine is blocking you from doing it.
    > Duane :)

    Thank you for your trouble also .... something is wrong, because I was
    able to download a bunch of templates before... can't remember when it
    stopped doing so. The only recent things I do to my machine is "updates"
    to anti-spyware's, anti-virus, and firewalls...

    Kelly, Nov 7, 2004
  14. Kelly

    Kelly Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    One more thing I forgot to add... I can download other programs from
    other sites.... could it be activeX? Does MS office templates use
    ActiveX? ........

    Kelly, Nov 7, 2004
  15. Kelly

    | "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    |
    | One more thing I forgot to add... I can download other programs from
    | other sites.... could it be activeX? Does MS office templates use
    | ActiveX? ........

    Not the templates themselves, but the download program MS is using there
    appears to use an ActiveX program.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 7, 2004
  16. Kelly

    | "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    | > Okay, this download site requires 1) cookies, and 2) activeX (after
    | > all, it
    | > IS Microsoft <g>). Spyware Blaster and possibly other programs stop
    | > ActiveX
    | > from installing. Also in the security and advanced settings for IE are
    | > options for cookies and activeX. Take a minute to see if you have
    | > SpywareBlaster from Javacool installed. If so, you might temporarily
    | > disable
    | > it. If that isn't one of your problems, then you may need to get into
    | > the IE
    | > settings. But since Mozilla isn't downloading either, I'm leaning
    | > towards
    | > SpywareBlaster, since it protects Mozilla too.
    |

    | I just now disabled: spybot, spyware blaster and guard, Norton firewall,
    | anti-virus, brought all my browser security settings to Low... still
    | nothing.... *sigh* maybe it's activeX controls... should I go into IE
    | tools---> Internet Options ---> advanced tab? It's all greek to me...
    | sorry, and thanks for you trouble!

    Here's a thought...my ActiveX is also disabled (on purpose). But I was able
    to get past where you seem to be stuck. While the automatic download/install
    doesn't work, I did get to a page with a manual download.

    Try this link:
    http://office.microsoft.com/templat...11101551033&Application=WD&Result=1&Version=8

    Toolman Tim, Nov 7, 2004
  17. Kelly

    > Here's a thought...my ActiveX is also disabled (on purpose). But I was
    > able
    > to get past where you seem to be stuck. While the automatic
    > download/install
    > doesn't work, I did get to a page with a manual download.
    > Try this link:
    > http://office.microsoft.com/templat...11101551033&Application=WD&Result=1&Version=8

    IT WORKED!!!!!!! I don't believe it! THANK YOU SO MUCH! I'm not
    understanding the logic of this.... how did you get to "manual"
    download? I'll need to do this to download a bunch more templates! THANK
    YOU! :)))))

    Kelly, Nov 7, 2004
  18. Kelly

    | "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    | > Okay, this download site requires 1) cookies, and 2) activeX (after
    | > all, it
    | > IS Microsoft <g>). Spyware Blaster and possibly other programs stop
    | > ActiveX
    | > from installing. Also in the security and advanced settings for IE are
    | > options for cookies and activeX. Take a minute to see if you have
    | > SpywareBlaster from Javacool installed. If so, you might temporarily
    | > disable
    | > it. If that isn't one of your problems, then you may need to get into
    | > the IE
    | > settings. But since Mozilla isn't downloading either, I'm leaning
    | > towards
    | > SpywareBlaster, since it protects Mozilla too.
    |

    | I just now disabled: spybot, spyware blaster and guard, Norton firewall,
    | anti-virus, brought all my browser security settings to Low... still
    | nothing.... *sigh* maybe it's activeX controls... should I go into IE
    | tools---> Internet Options ---> advanced tab? It's all greek to me...
    | sorry, and thanks for you trouble!

    Okay - yes, IE tools, Internet options, advanced, scroll down to Security.
    If there are no checkmarks in front of "Allow active content..." then check
    those and try again.

    Even with THAT done, IE pops up a blue line right below the toolbar that
    says "This site might require the following ActiveX Control:..." with "Click
    here to install..."

    Toolman Tim, Nov 7, 2004
  19. Kelly

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Kelly" <kelly@NoTo*spam.com> wrote in news:rchjd.7098$O11.5516
    @newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

    > "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    >> I went to the download site with Firefox and had no problems doing
    >> Accept
    >> on the license agreement and then to the final part of the download
    >> that
    >> was going to download 0110155.cab file to my machine. It seems that
    >> something on your machine is blocking you from doing it.
    >> Duane :)

    > Thank you for your trouble also .... something is wrong, because I was
    > able to download a bunch of templates before... can't remember when it
    > stopped doing so. The only recent things I do to my machine is "updates"
    > to anti-spyware's, anti-virus, and firewalls...

    That's why I like to be behind a NAT router that provides the protection
    like a FW that's sits in front of the machine and is a standalone
    appliance. That way I can disable everything on the machine like FW and
    other software that could be causing issues and do what I have to do to
    complete something.

    As a matter of fact, the only thing I have on the machines that I run on a
    routine basis is the AV and (sparingly AD-Aware).

    You can get a NAT router that has little or no configuration on your part
    for $50 or less.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Nov 7, 2004
  20. Kelly

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | "Kelly" <kelly@NoTo*spam.com> wrote in news:rchjd.7098$O11.5516
    | @newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:
    |

    | > "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    | >> I went to the download site with Firefox and had no problems doing
    | >> Accept
    | >> on the license agreement and then to the final part of the download
    | >> that
    | >> was going to download 0110155.cab file to my machine. It seems that
    | >> something on your machine is blocking you from doing it.
    | >> Duane :)
    | >
    | > Thank you for your trouble also .... something is wrong, because I was
    | > able to download a bunch of templates before... can't remember when it
    | > stopped doing so. The only recent things I do to my machine is "updates"
    | > to anti-spyware's, anti-virus, and firewalls...
    | >

    | That's why I like to be behind a NAT router that provides the protection
    | like a FW that's sits in front of the machine and is a standalone
    | appliance. That way I can disable everything on the machine like FW and
    | other software that could be causing issues and do what I have to do to
    | complete something.
    |
    | As a matter of fact, the only thing I have on the machines that I run on a
    | routine basis is the AV and (sparingly AD-Aware).
    |
    | You can get a NAT router that has little or no configuration on your part
    | for $50 or less.
    |
    | http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/about-NAT.asp
    |
    | Duane :)

    Kelly is on Earthlink, which is usually dial-up. A router wouldn't be much
    help <g>. But I agree...I seldom need to run any malware checks since I have
    an excellent hosts file, up-to-date AV, and a wireless router with NAT (and
    WEP and MAC address blocking too)

    Toolman Tim, Nov 7, 2004