    I went to help at that site, and it said you needed Java applet. I used to
    be able to see the puzzle months ago.

    Does anyone have an answer. TIA
    nettie, Feb 18, 2004

  2. nettie

    Harrison Guest

    On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 16:29:21 -0500, "nettie" <> wrote:

    >I am unable to download a crossword puzzle from a newspaper. All I see is a
    >little X.
    >
    >I went to help at that site, and it said you needed Java applet. I used to
    >be able to see the puzzle months ago.
    >
    >Does anyone have an answer. TIA

    Then something has changed in the past few months.
    What has changed?
    Did you upgrade to XP? XP doesn't come with Java.
    http://java-virtual-machine.net/download.html

    Have you changed browsers or added any pop-up blockers or script blockers?
    Harrison, Feb 18, 2004

  3. nettie

    nettie Guest

    Thanks Harrison, I have added a Google Toolbar which also stops pop-up
    blockers.
    Today I downloaded Java Web Start but it didn't help so am thinking of
    removing it.
    I have Windows 98, Pentium 2 and I use IE 6 as my browser and have had it
    for awhile.
    Sorry, I do not know what a script blocker is so cannot answer that one.

    nettie, Feb 18, 2004
  4. nettie

    Harrison Guest

    It may be the Google Toolbar, if the crossword is supposed to open in a new window.
    If you click the popup blocker icon once it will switch to say "site popups allowed".
    If that doesn't fix it then try resetting you IE options to their defaults. Tools>Internet Options

    Harrison, Feb 18, 2004
  5. nettie

    nettie Guest

    I just realized that it isn't an X but a rectangle with a square, a circle
    and a
    diamond enclosed where the puzzle is supposed to be.

    I reset my IE options to their defaults and I allowed popups and nothing
    happened.
    In my Security settings under MS VM, it is checked at High Safety which
    appears
    to be the default.

    Under Advanced MS VM only the JIT compiler for Virtual Machine enable is
    checked.
    The other two are blank.

    The following is what I got when I tried to download the puzzle:

    To solve the puzzle interactively online the crossword uses a small program
    called a Java applet. It will work only on browsers that are Java-enabled --
    generally speaking, these are Netscape Navigator v. 3.02 or higher, or
    Internet Explorer v. 4.0 or higher.

    I appreciate your help and I am learning more as I go along.

    <Harrison> wrote in message
    > It may be the Google Toolbar, if the crossword is supposed to open in a

    new window.
    > If you click the popup blocker icon once it will switch to say "site

    popups allowed".
    > If that doesn't fix it then try resetting you IE options to their

    defaults. Tools>Internet Options

    Before I received your last post, I removed the free Java software for the
    desktop that I had downloaded earlier from Java.com as I was unable to
    download the puzzle with it installed. Should I download it again?

    nettie, Feb 19, 2004
  6. nettie

    Harrison Guest

    On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 21:27:09 -0500, "nettie" <> wrote:

    >I just realized that it isn't an X but a rectangle with a square, a circle
    >and a
    >diamond enclosed where the puzzle is supposed to be.
    >
    >I reset my IE options to their defaults and I allowed popups and nothing
    >happened.
    >In my Security settings under MS VM, it is checked at High Safety which
    >appears
    >to be the default.
    >
    >Under Advanced MS VM only the JIT compiler for Virtual Machine enable is
    >checked.
    >The other two are blank.
    >
    >The following is what I got when I tried to download the puzzle:
    >
    >To solve the puzzle interactively online the crossword uses a small program
    >called a Java applet. It will work only on browsers that are Java-enabled --
    >generally speaking, these are Netscape Navigator v. 3.02 or higher, or
    >Internet Explorer v. 4.0 or higher.
    >
    >I appreciate your help and I am learning more as I go along.

    Could you please post the URL for this puzzle page?

    Harrison, Feb 19, 2004
  7. nettie

    nettie, Feb 19, 2004
  8. nettie

    nettie Guest

    Here it is:
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/crosswords/

    --
    ~ Janet----It is a good day if I learned something new and I can remember
    it.

    nettie, Feb 19, 2004
  9. nettie

    Harrison Guest

    It's just javascript. it should load for you. Of course, you already knew that, didn't you?
    Try Firefox and see what happens there.

    Harrison, Feb 19, 2004
  10. nettie

    ICee Guest

    nettie wrote:
    > I just realized that it isn't an X but a rectangle with a square, a
    > circle and a diamond enclosed where the puzzle is supposed to be.
    >
    > I reset my IE options to their defaults and I allowed popups and
    > nothing happened.
    >
    > In my Security settings under MS VM, it is checked at High Safety
    > which appears to be the default.
    >
    > Under Advanced MS VM only the JIT compiler for Virtual Machine enable
    > is checked. The other two are blank.
    >
    > The following is what I got when I tried to download the puzzle:
    >
    > To solve the puzzle interactively online the crossword uses a small
    > program called a Java applet. It will work only on browsers that are
    > Java-enabled -- generally speaking, these are Netscape Navigator v.
    > 3.02 or higher, or Internet Explorer v. 4.0 or higher.
    >
    > I appreciate your help and I am learning more as I go along.

    Have you cleared the IE cache (temp internet files)? Make sure to check
    "delete all offline content" when deleting temp files, and delete
    cookies also. Then, try again.

    ICee, Feb 19, 2004
  11. nettie

    Harrison Guest

    On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 22:58:20 -0500, "ICee" <> wrote:

    >nettie wrote:
    >> I just realized that it isn't an X but a rectangle with a square, a
    >> circle and a diamond enclosed where the puzzle is supposed to be.
    >>
    >> I reset my IE options to their defaults and I allowed popups and
    >> nothing happened.
    >>
    >> In my Security settings under MS VM, it is checked at High Safety
    >> which appears to be the default.
    >>
    >> Under Advanced MS VM only the JIT compiler for Virtual Machine enable
    >> is checked. The other two are blank.
    >>
    >> The following is what I got when I tried to download the puzzle:
    >>
    >> To solve the puzzle interactively online the crossword uses a small
    >> program called a Java applet. It will work only on browsers that are
    >> Java-enabled -- generally speaking, these are Netscape Navigator v.
    >> 3.02 or higher, or Internet Explorer v. 4.0 or higher.
    >>
    >> I appreciate your help and I am learning more as I go along.

    >Have you cleared the IE cache (temp internet files)? Make sure to check
    >"delete all offline content" when deleting temp files, and delete
    >cookies also. Then, try again.

    If that does it, I'm going to have to whump myself in the head :)
    Thanks, ICee!

    Harrison, Feb 19, 2004
  12. nettie

    ICee Guest

    Harrison wrote:
    > On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 22:58:20 -0500, "ICee" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> nettie wrote:
    >>> I just realized that it isn't an X but a rectangle with a square, a
    >>> circle and a diamond enclosed where the puzzle is supposed to be.
    >>>
    >>> I reset my IE options to their defaults and I allowed popups and
    >>> nothing happened.
    >>>
    >>> In my Security settings under MS VM, it is checked at High Safety
    >>> which appears to be the default.
    >>>
    >>> Under Advanced MS VM only the JIT compiler for Virtual Machine
    >>> enable is checked. The other two are blank.
    >>>
    >>> The following is what I got when I tried to download the puzzle:
    >>>
    >>> To solve the puzzle interactively online the crossword uses a small
    >>> program called a Java applet. It will work only on browsers that are
    >>> Java-enabled -- generally speaking, these are Netscape Navigator v.
    >>> 3.02 or higher, or Internet Explorer v. 4.0 or higher.
    >>>
    >>> I appreciate your help and I am learning more as I go along.

    >> Have you cleared the IE cache (temp internet files)? Make sure to
    >> check "delete all offline content" when deleting temp files, and
    >> delete cookies also. Then, try again.

    > If that does it, I'm going to have to whump myself in the head :)
    > Thanks, ICee!

    YW. Hopefully, that's all it is. :)
    ICee, Feb 19, 2004
  13. nettie

    nettie Guest

    I downloaded Firefox and got the same results.
    I will try again tomorrow as I have been at this all evening.
    I really don't have a clue to what I am doing right or wrong.
    Thanks again Harrison

    nettie, Feb 19, 2004
  14. nettie

    nettie Guest

    Yes I delete my temp files weekly and scan disk and defrag daily.
    Thanks for you input, am calling it a day.

    nettie, Feb 19, 2004
  15. nettie

    ICee Guest

    nettie wrote:
    > Yes I delete my temp files weekly and scan disk and defrag daily.
    > Thanks for you input, am calling it a day.

    Well, it was worth a shot. Good night. :)

    ICee, Feb 19, 2004
  16. nettie

    Ned Guest

    Ned, Feb 19, 2004
  17. nettie

    Dan Shea Guest

    On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 00:18:57 -0500, "nettie" <>
    wrote:

    >I downloaded Firefox and got the same results.
    >I will try again tomorrow as I have been at this all evening.
    >I really don't have a clue to what I am doing right or wrong.
    >Thanks again Harrison

    Just to recap:

    You're trying to access http://www.theglobeandmail.com/crosswords/.

    The page loads OK, but instead of the puzzle being displayed, you only
    get the square-circle-diamond image.

    You're running Windows 98 SE. Browser is IE 6.0, but you also tried
    Firefox and that wouldn't work either. You delete your temp files
    weekly (do you mean you go into Internet Options, and click the Delete
    Files button?).

    Couple questions to clarify the issue...

    If you go to the page, and hit Ctrl-F5, what happens?

    Do you see the Across and Down clues but not the puzzle graphic? Or
    no clues either?

    Does your browser have JavaScript enabled? Go here
    http://www.b2knet.com/ and check the results for your browser's Java
    version, and whether Java is enabled on your browser. (Under "Here we
    will list your browsers JavaScript version and if it is enabled on
    your system.", and down at the bottom, under "And lastly three simple
    ones to finalize the tests. These should work on all Java-enabled
    browsers". Let us know the results.

    Cheers,
    dan
    Dan Shea, Feb 19, 2004
  18. nettie

    Mike245 Guest

    nettie wrote:
    > I am unable to download a crossword puzzle from a newspaper. All I see is a
    > little X.

    Looks like they switched to java or your browser is misconfigured. Just
    download Java VM from Sun here:

    http://java.com/en/index.jsp

    Also install a second browser (try firefox from mozilla.org its a
    small download) and see how that works for you, if this doesnt work.

    --
    Mike
    Block Banner Ads Now
    Mike245, Feb 19, 2004
  19. nettie

    Harrison Guest

    I have asked others to join and take offer suggestions as well.
    Don't get frustrated with others asking you to do things you've already tried.
    Stick with us and we'll get it sorted out.

    Harrison, Feb 19, 2004
  20. nettie

    Unknown Guest

    Basic question. Do you have JAVA? MS no longer provides it.

    Unknown, Feb 19, 2004