    "Cannot delete prime.exe. Cannot find the specified file".
    I am using XP home edition, is there any way to get rid of it?
    TIA
    Tappy Lappy, Aug 30, 2005

  2. Tappy Lappy

    WormWood Guest

    "Tappy Lappy" <Tappy wrote:
    >I am trying to delete a file, prime.exe, and although it shows on the
    >desktop and is found when using the search facility I get the message
    >"Cannot delete prime.exe. Cannot find the specified file".
    > I am using XP home edition, is there any way to get rid of it?
    > TIA

    Where is this file and how did you know about it and that it should be
    deleted? Any other relevant information?
    WormWood, Aug 30, 2005

  3. Tappy Lappy

    old jon Guest

    "Tappy Lappy" <Tappy > wrote in message
    >I am trying to delete a file, prime.exe, and although it shows on the
    >desktop and is found when using the search facility I get the message
    >"Cannot delete prime.exe. Cannot find the specified file".
    > I am using XP home edition, is there any way to get rid of it?
    > TIA

    Right click on the icon, to see what program it points to. It appears to be
    a program that finds Prime numbers ?.
    best wishes..OJ
    old jon, Aug 30, 2005
  4. Tappy Lappy

    Harrison Guest

    On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 08:48:32 +0000 (UTC), "Tappy Lappy" <Tappy
    > wrote:

    >I am trying to delete a file, prime.exe, and although it shows on the
    >desktop and is found when using the search facility I get the message
    >"Cannot delete prime.exe. Cannot find the specified file".
    >I am using XP home edition, is there any way to get rid of it?
    >TIA

    Reboot to safe mode into the Administrator's account and delete from there.
    Harrison, Aug 30, 2005
  5. Tappy Lappy

    Tappy Lappy Guest

    "WormWood" <> wrote in message

    > "Tappy Lappy" <Tappy wrote:
    >>I am trying to delete a file, prime.exe, and although it shows on the
    >>desktop and is found when using the search facility I get the message
    >>"Cannot delete prime.exe. Cannot find the specified file".
    >> I am using XP home edition, is there any way to get rid of it?
    >> TIA
    >>

    > Where is this file and how did you know about it and that it should be
    > deleted? Any other relevant information?

    I have it on my back up drive and was just doing a bit of tidying up. I used
    the remove
    programmes option via control panel, but there is still an icon for
    "prime.exe" in the folder showing as
    an application with a size of 1041 kb.

    If you right click on the icon, within properties it shows a size of "0" and
    disk space "0".

    Left clicking gets the error message "windows cannot find the file
    .......\prime.exe. Make sure you typed the correct name and try again".
    Tappy Lappy, Aug 30, 2005
  6. Tappy Lappy

    Tappy Lappy Guest

    <Harrison> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 08:48:32 +0000 (UTC), "Tappy Lappy" <Tappy
    > > wrote:
    >
    >>I am trying to delete a file, prime.exe, and although it shows on the
    >>desktop and is found when using the search facility I get the message
    >>"Cannot delete prime.exe. Cannot find the specified file".
    >>I am using XP home edition, is there any way to get rid of it?
    >>TIA

    > Reboot to safe mode into the Administrator's account and delete from
    > there.

    Hi, thanks for the advice. I have just tried and it comes up with the same
    error message.
    Tappy Lappy, Aug 30, 2005
  7. Tappy Lappy

    TNKEV Guest

    As long as we are on the subject.

    I have 2 files on my pc I can't delete I get a message that says "file
    name is too long cannot delete file,I have tried "rename"but as soon
    as I hit OK it says the same thing "file name too long cannot delete"
    any ideas?
    TNKEV, Aug 30, 2005
  8. Tappy Lappy

    Brian Guest

    "Tappy Lappy" <Tappy > schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    > <Harrison> wrote in message
    > > On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 08:48:32 +0000 (UTC), "Tappy Lappy" <Tappy
    > > > wrote:
    > >
    > >>I am trying to delete a file, prime.exe, and although it shows on the
    > >>desktop and is found when using the search facility I get the message
    > >>"Cannot delete prime.exe. Cannot find the specified file".
    > >>I am using XP home edition, is there any way to get rid of it?
    > >>TIA

    > > Reboot to safe mode into the Administrator's account and delete from
    > > there.

    > Hi, thanks for the advice. I have just tried and it comes up with the same
    > error message.

    try:
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_undeletable_file.htm
    Brian, Aug 30, 2005
  9. Tappy Lappy

    Tappy Lappy Guest

    "Brian" <> wrote in message news:43144ed9$...

    > "Tappy Lappy" <Tappy > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >>
    >> <Harrison> wrote in message
    >> > On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 08:48:32 +0000 (UTC), "Tappy Lappy" <Tappy

    >> > Reboot to safe mode into the Administrator's account and delete from
    >> > there.

    >> Hi, thanks for the advice. I have just tried and it comes up with the
    >> same
    >> error message.
    >>

    > try:
    > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_undeletable_file.htm

    Thanks Brian, tried that but even in DOS if you do a DIR on the folder the
    file
    is held in it listed it as follows:

    06/06/2005 17:50 <dir> .
    06/06/2005 17:50 <dir> ..
    04/06/2005 21:46 1,065,696 prime.exe
    1 file<s> 1,065,696 bytes
    2 dir<s> 20,199,997,440 bytes free

    When you try the del, or erase command on prime.exe, you get "Cannot find
    the file specified".
    Del on the folder it is in, gets the prompt do you want to delete y or n.
    Even when you choose "y" the
    folder fails to delete.
    Tappy Lappy, Aug 30, 2005
  10. Tappy Lappy

    >I am trying to delete a file, prime.exe, and although it shows on the
    >desktop and is found when using the search facility I get the message
    >"Cannot delete prime.exe. Cannot find the specified file".
    > I am using XP home edition, is there any way to get rid of it?
    > TIA

    Had a file like this once. Admittedly it was on a CD-RW (it`s still media).
    Checked to see if the file was read-only (no). So I copied All the data off
    it, to a hard drive, and tried to reformat it. sadly the disk was Scrap.
    I`d suggest, if you can, copy the stuff off the drive. then run the hard
    drive manufacturers disc tools on it. It might be on it`s way out.
    That would be all your stuff gone.
    best wishes..OJ
    old jon, Aug 30, 2005
  11. Tappy Lappy

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Install this program called unlocker after it is installed then right click
    the file or folder and select Unlocker. If the file or folder is locked then
    a window will appear with a list of processes locking the file or folder.
    Select the locks and click Unlock and you are done.
    http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/unlocker170.exe If that does not work then
    try Killbox http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/killbox.zip

    pcbutts1, Aug 30, 2005
  12. Tappy Lappy

    Tappy Lappy Guest

    "old jon" <> wrote in message

    > "Tappy Lappy" <Tappy > wrote in message
    >>I am trying to delete a file, prime.exe, and although it shows on the
    >>desktop and is found when using the search facility I get the message
    >>"Cannot delete prime.exe. Cannot find the specified file".
    >> I am using XP home edition, is there any way to get rid of it?
    >> TIA

    > Had a file like this once. Admittedly it was on a CD-RW (it`s still
    > media). Checked to see if the file was read-only (no). So I copied All the
    > data off it, to a hard drive, and tried to reformat it. sadly the disk was
    > Scrap.
    > I`d suggest, if you can, copy the stuff off the drive. then run the hard
    > drive manufacturers disc tools on it. It might be on it`s way out.
    > That would be all your stuff gone.
    > best wishes..OJ

    Thanks John, but when I try to copy I get "File not found" !!
    Tappy Lappy, Aug 30, 2005
  13. Tappy Lappy

    Tappy Lappy Guest

    "pcbutts1" <> wrote in message
    > Install this program called unlocker after it is installed then right
    > click the file or folder and select Unlocker. If the file or folder is
    > locked then a window will appear with a list of processes locking the file
    > or folder. Select the locks and click Unlock and you are done.
    > http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/unlocker170.exe If that does not work
    > then try Killbox http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/killbox.zip
    >

    > --

    Thanks for the help, but neither work, the sodding thing is still there!!

    I might just have to put up with it, but it's just annoying knowing the
    flaming
    thing is there and being unable to do anything with it.
    Tappy Lappy, Aug 30, 2005
  14. Tappy Lappy

    Willy Guest

    On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 08:48:32 +0000 (UTC), "Tappy Lappy" <Tappy
    > wrote:

    >I am trying to delete a file, prime.exe, and although it shows on the
    >desktop and is found when using the search facility I get the message
    >"Cannot delete prime.exe. Cannot find the specified file".
    >I am using XP home edition, is there any way to get rid of it?
    >TIA

    go here
    http://www.softwarepatch.com/software/moveonboot.html

    get this small free prog I have used it to delete locked files

    Willy, Aug 30, 2005
  15. Tappy Lappy

    Tappy Lappy Guest

    "Willy" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 08:48:32 +0000 (UTC), "Tappy Lappy" <Tappy
    > > wrote:
    >
    >>I am trying to delete a file, prime.exe, and although it shows on the
    >>desktop and is found when using the search facility I get the message
    >>"Cannot delete prime.exe. Cannot find the specified file".
    >>I am using XP home edition, is there any way to get rid of it?
    >>TIA

    > go here
    > http://www.softwarepatch.com/software/moveonboot.html
    >
    > get this small free prog I have used it to delete locked files

    Thanks Willy, tried it but still no use. The file is not locked, its just
    that it doesn't appear to
    exist, yet the icon shows up on the desktop, and also in DOS.
    Tappy Lappy, Aug 30, 2005
  16. Tappy Lappy

    Trax Guest

    "Tappy Lappy" <Tappy > wrote:

    |>"Willy" <> wrote in message
    |>> On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 08:48:32 +0000 (UTC), "Tappy Lappy" <Tappy

    |>> go here
    |>> http://www.softwarepatch.com/software/moveonboot.html
    |>>
    |>> get this small free prog I have used it to delete locked files
    |>>>

    |>Thanks Willy, tried it but still no use. The file is not locked, its just
    |>that it doesn't appear to
    |>exist, yet the icon shows up on the desktop, and also in DOS.

    Then in DOS type in: DIR /X within the same dir as your file, this
    will give you it's 8.3 file name - delete the file using that file
    name, (ie: avg70f~1.exe)

    --

    Third world bomb squad
    http://67.50.205.164/images/firearms/3rdWorldBombSquad.wmv
    Trax, Aug 30, 2005
  17. Tappy Lappy

    Tappy Lappy Guest

    "Trax" <> wrote in message
    > "Tappy Lappy" <Tappy > wrote:
    >

    > |>"Willy" <> wrote in message

    > the

    > |>Thanks Willy, tried it but still no use. The file is not locked, its
    > just
    > |>that it doesn't appear to
    > |>exist, yet the icon shows up on the desktop, and also in DOS.
    >
    > Then in DOS type in: DIR /X within the same dir as your file, this
    > will give you it's 8.3 file name - delete the file using that file
    > name, (ie: avg70f~1.exe)
    >
    > --

    If by a 8.3 file name you mean one with the ~, it does not have one (Pls see
    my reply to
    Brian).
    The folder which contains it, ie utilities, does have a file name in this
    format "UTILIT~1" but
    when I try to delete the folder I get the message *******\prime.exe cannot
    be found.
    AAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH
    Tappy Lappy, Aug 30, 2005
  18. Tappy Lappy

    Trax Guest

    "Tappy Lappy" <Tappy > wrote:

    |>> just
    |>>
    |>> Then in DOS type in: DIR /X within the same dir as your file, this
    |>> will give you it's 8.3 file name - delete the file using that file
    |>> name, (ie: avg70f~1.exe)

    |>> --
    |>If by a 8.3 file name you mean one with the ~, it does not have one (Pls see
    |>my reply to
    |>Brian).
    |>The folder which contains it, ie utilities, does have a file name in this
    |>format "UTILIT~1" but
    |>when I try to delete the folder I get the message *******\prime.exe cannot
    |>be found.
    |>AAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH

    I use a program called CMFILER for problems like this, I can't find a
    download of it without registration. It's a Norton Commander type
    program. Used to be my Explorer under DOS.

    It does run under XP and below.

    It's an option, I know it will delete your file.

    Trax, Aug 30, 2005
  19. Tappy Lappy

    Trax Guest

    Trax, Aug 30, 2005
  20. Tappy Lappy

    Tappy Lappy Guest

    "Trax" <> wrote in message

    > |>If by a 8.3 file name you mean one with the ~, it does not have one (Pls
    > see
    > |>my reply to
    > |>Brian).
    > |>The folder which contains it, ie utilities, does have a file name in
    > this
    > |>format "UTILIT~1" but
    > |>when I try to delete the folder I get the message *******\prime.exe
    > cannot
    > |>be found.
    > |>AAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH
    >
    > I use a program called CMFILER for problems like this, I can't find a
    > download of it without registration. It's a Norton Commander type
    > program. Used to be my Explorer under DOS.
    >
    > It does run under XP and below.
    >
    > It's an option, I know it will delete your file.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Third world bomb squad
    > http://67.50.205.164/images/firearms/3rdWorldBombSquad.wmv

    Thanks for everything, I will try to find it and give it a go.
    Tappy Lappy, Aug 30, 2005