    program. I have tried to remove it in Safe Mode but get the same response. I
    have disabled everything in Selective Start-Up and once again I get the same
    message. Can anyone please help me to get rid of this file?
    eugene, May 17, 2004

  2. eugene

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Rename it, move it to a different folder, reboot, delete.

    "eugene" <> wrote in message
    > I recently downloaded a "video" file and have been unable to delete it

    ever

    pcbutts1, May 17, 2004

  3. eugene

    Richard Guest

    pcbutts1 wrote:

    > Rename it, move it to a different folder, reboot, delete.

    As it reports being in use, you can not rename it.
    Richard, May 17, 2004
  4. eugene

    Richard Guest

    eugene wrote:

    > I recently downloaded a "video" file and have been unable to delete it
    > ever since. Under properties it is listed as "video" and each time I try
    > to get rid of it, I get the message that it is being used by another
    > person or program. I have tried to remove it in Safe Mode but get the
    > same response. I have disabled everything in Selective Start-Up and once
    > again I get the same message. Can anyone please help me to get rid of
    > this file?

    Run "msconfig". Check the startup tab, and both ".ini" files for references.
    Delete any references.
    Run"regedit" and search for any references to the file.
    If you feel uncomfortable deleting the entries, modify the data by adding a
    character to the front of the name.
    Then try deleting the file again.

    If you know where you got the video from, post the link and I'll check it
    out.
    Richard, May 17, 2004
  5. eugene

    °Mike° Guest

    Explorer often tries to create a preview for AVI files,
    and this can cause problems if the file is corrupt.
    Open your registry editor (Start / Run / regedit) to:

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
    +SystemFileAssociations
    +.avi
    +shellex
    +PropertyHandler

    In the right hand window you will see (Default) with
    an alpha-numeric value. Delete it, or zero it.

    On Sun, 16 May 2004 23:42:12 +0000 (UTC), in
    <c88u8k$p89$>
    eugene scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, May 17, 2004
  6. eugene

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sun, 16 May 2004 19:54:45 -0500, in
    <>
    Richard scrawled:

    > eugene wrote:
    >
    > > I recently downloaded a "video" file and have been unable to delete it
    > > ever since. Under properties it is listed as "video" and each time I try
    > > to get rid of it, I get the message that it is being used by another
    > > person or program. I have tried to remove it in Safe Mode but get the
    > > same response. I have disabled everything in Selective Start-Up and once
    > > again I get the same message. Can anyone please help me to get rid of
    > > this file?

    >Run "msconfig".

    <snip rest of Bullis crap>

    Take NO NOTICE of the dangerous advice continually
    given by this moron; do so at your own risk!

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, May 17, 2004
  7. eugene

    eugene Guest

    thanks everybody...I got rid of it using "regedit etc)

    eugene, May 17, 2004
  8. eugene

    °Mike° Guest

    You're welcome.

    On Mon, 17 May 2004 12:53:29 +0000 (UTC), in
    <c8ack9$r8v$>
    eugene scrawled:

    >thanks everybody...I got rid of it using "regedit etc)
    >
    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> Explorer often tries to create a preview for AVI files,
    >> and this can cause problems if the file is corrupt.
    >> Open your registry editor (Start / Run / regedit) to:
    >>
    >> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
    >> +SystemFileAssociations
    >> +.avi
    >> +shellex
    >> +PropertyHandler
    >>
    >> In the right hand window you will see (Default) with
    >> an alpha-numeric value. Delete it, or zero it.

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, May 17, 2004
  9. eugene

    Valverdez Guest

    Ok this may sound dumb but believe me, it's happened and often over looked
    because we (techies) are always overlooking the obvious because we think,
    well duh...

    When you first click on a Video file in Windows Explorer, Windows is trying
    to access the file to create a preview for it. Sometimes, if it is a rather
    large file, this can take a like a minutes or so to finish. If you are
    trying to delete the file during this process, Windows will give you the
    message that the file is in use and will not allow you to delete.
    Suggestion, click on the file, wait till you see that a preview has been
    generated on the left and then hit SHIFT and DEL on your keyboard, this will
    delete the file instead of trying to send it to the recycle bin.

    Hope this helps,

    Ciao,
    Valverdez

    Valverdez, May 18, 2004
  10. eugene

    Squishy1990

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    SAme Problem but with an .mpg!!!

    I have the same problem but my video file is an mpg.
    Any help would be much appreiciated!
    Squishy
    Squishy1990, Sep 24, 2006
  11. eugene

    shrinkwrap

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    Deleting Files

    Any file can get protected by Microsloth's stupid file system.
    Check the Authorities for that file, and all parent directories.
    Often one gets reset to Administrator, and even though YOU are the Admin (I assume we're talking XP and not Win98 here) you need to change it to "everyone".

    Also, I've found that turning OFF indexing is a very smart thing to do.
    You'll not be able to use the FIND feature, but it's crap anyway.

    Download a free Grep program, like WinGrep, and you'll be a lot happier.
    Your files will thank you.
    shrinkwrap, Oct 21, 2006