    is running in another programme or by another user and to try again. Anybody
    able to help please,
    Eugene

    eugene, Apr 26, 2004

  2. eugene

    philo Guest

    eugene wrote:
    > I have an AVI file which I cannot delete! When I try to, I am told that it
    > is running in another programme or by another user and to try again. Anybody
    > able to help please,
    > Eugene

    reboot your machine and try to delete it...
    if you are running win9x...you can delete it from dos

    philo, Apr 26, 2004

  3. eugene

    Aunt Buffy Guest

    1. Control Alt Delete until all programs are no longer running
    (disconnect from internet first).
    Try deleting it now.

    If that fails, try rebooting in safe mode and then try to delete it.

    Aunt Buffy, Apr 26, 2004
  4. eugene

    eugene Guest

    When I try ctrl/alt/del, no programmes appear to be running. How do I start
    up in safe mode again?

    eugene, Apr 26, 2004
  5. eugene

    slumpy Guest

    ....and with no more than a cursory glance at the dead camel eugene decided
    it was time to put the World to rights with this little gem:

    > When I try ctrl/alt/del, no programmes appear to be running. How do I
    > start up in safe mode again?
    > "Aunt Buffy" <> wrote in message
    >> 1. Control Alt Delete until all programs are no longer running
    >> (disconnect from internet first).
    >> Try deleting it now.
    >>
    >> If that fails, try rebooting in safe mode and then try to delete it.
    >>
    >> "philo" <> wrote in message
    >>>>

    >>> reboot your machine and try to delete it...
    >>> if you are running win9x...you can delete it from dos

    You read the thread posted 24 minutes ago.
    --
    slumpy
    no more

    slumpy, Apr 26, 2004
  6. eugene

    eugene Guest

    Tried Safe Mode but get the same response. Unable to delete because another
    person is using the programme? There is nothing else running on my PC! Any
    more suggestions? In properties it is simply listed as an AVI Video
    Eugene

    eugene, Apr 26, 2004
  7. eugene

    slumpy Guest

    ....and with no more than a cursory glance at the dead camel eugene decided
    it was time to put the World to rights with this little gem:

    > Tried Safe Mode but get the same response. Unable to delete because
    > another person is using the programme? There is nothing else running
    > on my PC! Any more suggestions? In properties it is simply listed as
    > an AVI Video Eugene

    See if you can change its name in Safe Mode.

    Then delete.
    --
    slumpy
    no more

    slumpy, Apr 26, 2004
  8. eugene

    one_red_eye Guest

    "eugene" <> wrote in message
    > I have an AVI file which I cannot delete! When I try to, I am told that it
    > is running in another programme or by another user and to try again.

    Anybody
    > able to help please,
    > Eugene

    It's a virus, you will have to reformat.

    --
    I saw Elvis. He sat between
    me and Bigfoot on the UFO.

    one_red_eye, Apr 26, 2004
  9. eugene

    eugene Guest

    Tried the name change in safe but still the same response

    eugene, Apr 26, 2004
  10. eugene

    slumpy Guest

    ....and with no more than a cursory glance at the dead camel eugene decided
    it was time to put the World to rights with this little gem:

    > Tried the name change in safe but still the same response

    You /do/ have AV software ?

    You /have/ tried anti-spyware software ?
    --
    slumpy
    no more

    slumpy, Apr 26, 2004
  11. eugene

    Andy Guest

    "eugene" <> wrote in message
    > I have an AVI file which I cannot delete! When I try to, I am told that it
    > is running in another programme or by another user and to try again.

    Anybody
    > able to help please,
    > Eugene

    It must be a Trojan virus. Trojans sometimes pretend that they are good
    files like AVI. Go to msconfig and disconnect some suspected programs and
    than try to delete it.

    Andy, Apr 26, 2004
  12. eugene

    eugene Guest

    Have AVG but no spyware? What do you recommend (and thanks for your time)

    eugene, Apr 26, 2004
  13. eugene

    slumpy Guest

    ....and with no more than a cursory glance at the dead camel eugene decided
    it was time to put the World to rights with this little gem:

    > Have AVG but no spyware? What do you recommend (and thanks for your
    > time)

    Thanks to Mike:

    Download, update and use all of the following:

    Spybot Search & Destroy
    http://spybot.eon.net.au/
    http://www.safer-networking.org/
    http://spybot.safer-networking.de/
    SpyBot S&D guide

    Ad-Aware
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    http://www.lavasoft.nu/

    Spyware Blaster

    CWShredder (CoolWebSearch remover)

    slumpy
    no more
    no less
    just me
    (well what the **** did you expect ?)

    slumpy, Apr 26, 2004
  14. eugene

    ZeroLine Guest

    If you are running WinXP you could try this
    http://www.videohelp.com/forum/userguides/100406.php

    ZeroLine, Apr 26, 2004
  15. eugene

    Buffalo Guest

    What OS are you using? 98,ME,2000,XP, etc?
    If Win98, you can delete it in DOS.
    Find the name and location of the file. If its name is more than 8
    characters long (before the Avi extension), its DOS name will be the first 6
    characters followed by ~1 and then the extension .avi .
    IE: C:\Windows\longnamedfile.avi would become C:\Windows\longna~1.avi .

    Try running an up-to-date anti-virus program, either your own or one of the
    many free ones online.

    Buffalo, Apr 26, 2004
  16. eugene

    eugene Guest

    I have looked at this but as a newbie, I don't know how to get into the
    registry and remove the suggested registry key

    eugene, Apr 26, 2004
  17. eugene

    °Mike° Guest

    Explorer often tries to create a preview for AVI files,
    and this can cause problems if the file is corrupt.
    Open your registry editor (Start / Run / regedit) to:

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
    +SystemFileAssociations
    +.avi
    +shellex
    +PropertyHandler

    In the right hand window you will see (Default) with
    an alpha-numeric value. Delete it, or zero it.

    On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 12:11:23 +0000 (UTC), in
    <c6iu9b$15q$>
    eugene scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Apr 27, 2004
  18. eugene

    °Mike° Guest

    On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 08:11:30 -0500, in
    <>
    one_red_eye scrawled:

    >"eugene" <> wrote in message
    >> I have an AVI file which I cannot delete! When I try to, I am told that it
    >> is running in another programme or by another user and to try again.

    >Anybody
    >> able to help please,
    >> Eugene
    >>

    >It's a virus, you will have to reformat.

    Don't talk bloody nonsense!

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Apr 27, 2004
  19. eugene

    °Mike° Guest

    On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 14:23:15 GMT, in
    <nX8jc.49600$>
    Andy scrawled:

    >"eugene" <> wrote in message
    >> I have an AVI file which I cannot delete! When I try to, I am told that it
    >> is running in another programme or by another user and to try again.

    >Anybody
    >> able to help please,
    >> Eugene
    >>

    >It must be a Trojan virus. Trojans sometimes pretend that they are good
    >files like AVI.

    Why must it be a "Trojan virus" (sic) ?

    > Go to msconfig and disconnect some suspected programs and
    >than try to delete it.

    Don't give up your day job.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Apr 27, 2004
  20. eugene

    eugene Guest

    It wouldn't delete and it doesn't have a numeric value. Ah man........this
    is a pain in the butt for you!

    eugene, Apr 27, 2004