    pro
    tia
    cindy
    Cindy Stuart, Jun 2, 2007

  2. Cindy Stuart

    SgtMinor Guest

    Cindy Stuart wrote:
    > unable to create the folder "new folder: no new files
    > i get that message when i try to make a new folder on my desktop - win xp
    > pro
    > tia
    > cindy

    "Error Message When Attempting to Create a Folder or Subfolder on an
    NTFS Partition or Volume":

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/233059
    SgtMinor, Jun 2, 2007

  3. Cindy Stuart

    Cindy Stuart Guest

    On 2-Jun-2007, SgtMinor <> wrote:

    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/233059

    this didn't help; the only permissions given are for me and the system.
    i notice that i can create a folder elsewhere and move it to the desktop,
    but i cannot create a new folder there. i tried removing some files and a
    few of my larger folders from my desktop but i still get the message when i
    attempt to create a new folder there:

    unable to create the folder 'new folder' there are no more files.

    i remember a very long time ago booting up with dos 6 - using an
    autoexec.bat and a config.sys file.
    i think in the config were entries "Buffers" "Files"?
    could this have anything to do with what's happening to my desktop?
    thanks,
    cindy
    Cindy Stuart, Jun 2, 2007
  4. Cindy Stuart

    SgtMinor Guest

    Cindy Stuart wrote:
    > On 2-Jun-2007, SgtMinor <> wrote:
    >

    >>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/233059

    > this didn't help; the only permissions given are for me and the system.
    > i notice that i can create a folder elsewhere and move it to the desktop,
    > but i cannot create a new folder there. i tried removing some files and a
    > few of my larger folders from my desktop but i still get the message when i
    > attempt to create a new folder there:
    >
    > unable to create the folder 'new folder' there are no more files.
    >
    > i remember a very long time ago booting up with dos 6 - using an
    > autoexec.bat and a config.sys file.
    > i think in the config were entries "Buffers" "Files"?
    > could this have anything to do with what's happening to my desktop?
    > thanks,
    > cindy

    In a DOS CONFIG.SYS file, the Files= entry indicated how many files you
    could have open and Buffers= set the number of disk buffers to handle
    data for input and handle read-ahead functions, IIRC.

    Speaking of DOS, are you able to open a Command window (Run > cmd) and
    make a directory on the desktop that way? The path will probably be:
    C\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Desktop, and the command is MD
    'directory name'. It would be interesting to see if you can do it that
    way. And do the folders you tried to create not show up in an Explorer
    tree view either?

    I can't imagine what the problem may be that you're facing.
    SgtMinor, Jun 3, 2007
  5. Cindy Stuart

    Cindy Stuart Guest

    On 2-Jun-2007, SgtMinor <> wrote:

    > Speaking of DOS, are you able to open a Command window (Run > cmd) and
    > make a directory on the desktop that way? The path will probably be:
    > C\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Desktop, and the command is MD
    > 'directory name'. It would be interesting to see if you can do it that
    > way. And do the folders you tried to create not show up in an Explorer
    > tree view either?

    i had no trouble with the dos cmds to cd to desktop then md a folder,
    "poop". the folder, poop, appeared onto my desktop and is like any other
    folder.

    so i am able to use a dos cmd window to create a folder on the desktop, or
    create it anywhere else -using the normal left click then right click, then
    draging folder or cutting and pasting it to the desktop.
    WIERD.

    > I can't imagine what the problem may be that you're facing.

    i would like to know the cause and why this is happening but, more
    importantly, i would rather know, how do i FIX this?
    Anyone have any ideas?
    tia
    Cindy Stuart, Jun 3, 2007
  6. Cindy Stuart

    Cindy Stuart Guest

    Re: DESKTOP - unable to create the folder "new folder: no new files

    i am able to use a dos cmd window to create a folder on the Desktop, or
    create a folder anywhere else -using the normal left click then right
    click,
    then draging folder or cutting and pasting it to the desktop. However,

    i cannot create a folder directly on the DESKTOP the normal way. i get the
    dialog box,
    "Unable to create the folder 'New Folder' There are no files."

    if a folder exists on my desktop, i'm able to create a new folder inside of
    that one (using the mouse).
    i'm using xp pro and my system seems stable.
    i'm have firewall zonealarm pro and anti virus kaspersky 6.0.2.621 running.
    please help.
    tia
    Cindy Stuart, Jun 3, 2007