Unable to create a new home network

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Bev, Feb 17, 2007.

  1. Bev

    Bev Guest

    Help is needed, it's driving me mad!

    I am trying to network my laptop and my home PC by creating a home network.
    I have already done this on the laptop with no trouble. But the PC is
    having problems.

    Firstly, the icons have disappeared that let me know when I am connected to
    the internet via dial up. I have a dial up connection and can still access
    the internet but I never no how ling it has been connected.

    Secondly, when I go into network places and click create a new home/office
    network connection nothing happens.

    Thirdly, when I vew connections the diap up connection I know I have is not
    listed there either, none appear.

    Can I repair windows XP to rectify this??

    Any help is appreciated.

    Bev
    Bev, Feb 17, 2007

  2. Bev wrote:

    > Help is needed, it's driving me mad!
    >
    > I am trying to network my laptop and my home PC by creating a home
    > network.
    > I have already done this on the laptop with no trouble. But the PC is
    > having problems.
    >
    > Firstly, the icons have disappeared that let me know when I am connected
    > the internet via dial up. I have a dial up connection and can still
    > access the internet but I never no how ling it has been connected.

    You may take a look if "show in tray when connected" is unchecked or "hide
    unused icons" has hit. Otherwise, do a system restore to the day before it
    happened.

    > Secondly, when I go into network places and click create a new home/office
    > network connection nothing happens.

    XPs home network assistent is fragile and nontransparent. Rather directly
    check (advanced tab) "internet connection sharing" for the dialup
    connectiion, create a firewall rule for allowing local network connections,
    for both computers. Disable "simple file sharing" and create matching user
    accounts on both machines. Do make sure the shares are at least readable to
    the user(s) that connect, locally as well. Last, but not least, adjust the
    workgroup name.

    For troubleshooting, try "ping 192.168.0.1" from the laptop, then there
    is "nbtstat" which will tell you the options with "/?".
    You may have to wait up to 15 minutes to make both computers show their
    counterparts in network neighborhood.
    Walter Mautner, Feb 17, 2007