Unable to connect wirelessly on particular network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by shehaal, Apr 25, 2009.

  1. shehaal

    shehaal Guest

    Hi there,

    I am trying to connect a work laptop to my home network. I have a Vista SP1
    laptop for personal use that can connect to this home network both wired and
    wirelessly without any troubles. However, the work laptop (XP SP2) can only
    connect wired. For some reason, it cannot obtain an IP address from the
    router when the Zero Configuration Wizard tries to establish a connection.

    Please note that I can connect the work laptop to other wireless networks
    without any problems - it is ONLY the home network that I'm having troubles
    with.

    On running ipconfig during the attempt to get an IP address, it comes back
    saying the subnet is 0.0.0.0, no default gateway, and the DHCP server is
    255.255.255.0 (should be 255.255.255.0, 192.168.1.1, and 192.168.1.1
    respectively). I have tried turning off APIPA (under the Alternate
    Configuration tab of the TCP/IP Settings), but that doesn't work. The only
    way I can connect the work laptop to the home network is to manually
    configure these addresses under the General tab of the Wireless TCP/IP
    Settings - however this isn't ideal as I am continuously connecting to
    different networks for work, which are all setup differently.

    I have tried changing different options in the router setup - turning SSID
    on and off, turning MAC address permission lists on and off, changing the
    SSID, the channel, the security options (WPA-PSK, WPA2-PSK - each of which
    with only AES or only TKIP or AES/TKIP), and changing the passcode. I have
    downloaded the XP WPA2 hotfix, but no luck there. I have tried to allow the
    ZCW to find and setup the wireless connection, defining it manually, and
    defining it through the Setup Wireless Network wizard. None of these has
    worked on this machine except for complete manual address configuration.

    I don't think it's the router though as I can connect my personal laptop and
    mobile phone to it without any issues whatsoever.

    Any ideas? Thanks for your help!

    Regards,
    Stuart.

    shehaal, Apr 25, 2009

  2. shehaal

    GTS Guest

    Windows Vista cannot obtain an IP address from certain routers or from
    certain non-Microsoft DHCP servers
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233/en-us

    GTS, Apr 25, 2009

  3. shehaal

    shehaal Guest

    Hi Bob,

    Good idea - keep it simple, and should have done that in the first place!
    All seems to be working now - started off with no security and a basic SSID,
    and added one thing at a time til I had the wireless network set up the way I
    wanted it (ensuring the connection worked after each change). Must have
    overlooked something this morning.

    Cheers,
    Stuart.

    shehaal, Apr 25, 2009