Unable to connect using WPA2

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Lula, Nov 3, 2009.

  1. Lula

    Lula Guest

    I am new to wireless so please bear with me. I set up my wireless router with
    the help of my internet service provider but they automatically set it up to
    WEP. I have my PC connected to the router via ethernet cable and also have a
    laptop which connects via wireless card. Both connected fine. On checking the
    internet the suggestion seems to be that WPA2 is better and also that I
    should change the SSID. I went into the relevant site for my router and
    changed the SSID and also the security code from WEP to WPA-ESK/WPA2-ESK. The
    shared key that is recorded on my router came up. I then went onto the laptop
    and found the "new" SSID and input the shared key. It tried to "connect" for
    several minutes then went back to the screen. This happened each time I tried
    it. As we need to use the laptop I went back and changed the code back to WEP
    and again input the new "key" that came up. I got a message that it had
    connected but it hadn't - everything was still shoing us not connected but a
    "disconnect" option appeared?? Don't know if I am missing some part of it.
    Now can't use the laptop at all. I understand that it may be that the laptop
    doesn't take WPA2 - it is a few years old - but don't understand why I can't
    get access using WEP now. Dop I have to take the "key" that comes up or can I
    change it to some password of my own - or is this down to the router type? Am
    confused - Any help would be appreciated.

    Lula, Nov 3, 2009

  2. Lula

    Lem Guest

    Lula wrote:
    > I am new to wireless so please bear with me. I set up my wireless router with
    > the help of my internet service provider but they automatically set it up to
    > WEP. I have my PC connected to the router via ethernet cable and also have a
    > laptop which connects via wireless card. Both connected fine. On checking the
    > internet the suggestion seems to be that WPA2 is better and also that I
    > should change the SSID. I went into the relevant site for my router and
    > changed the SSID and also the security code from WEP to WPA-ESK/WPA2-ESK. The
    > shared key that is recorded on my router came up. I then went onto the laptop
    > and found the "new" SSID and input the shared key. It tried to "connect" for
    > several minutes then went back to the screen. This happened each time I tried
    > it. As we need to use the laptop I went back and changed the code back to WEP
    > and again input the new "key" that came up. I got a message that it had
    > connected but it hadn't - everything was still shoing us not connected but a
    > "disconnect" option appeared?? Don't know if I am missing some part of it.
    > Now can't use the laptop at all. I understand that it may be that the laptop
    > doesn't take WPA2 - it is a few years old - but don't understand why I can't
    > get access using WEP now. Dop I have to take the "key" that comes up or can I
    > change it to some password of my own - or is this down to the router type? Am
    > confused - Any help would be appreciated.

    "ESK" is not a standard abbreviation used in connection with wireless
    encryption. Because the letter "E" is not near the letter "P" on a
    standard QWERTY keyboard, this doesn't seem like a typo (what you
    *should* be using is WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK).

    What are the choices you are given when you go to configure the router's
    configuration mode? And it would help if you identified the make and
    model of the router.

    --
    Lem

    Apollo 11 - 40 years ago: