    --
    Thank you,
    Matt Campbell

    =?Utf-8?B?bWxzb3Vw?=, Feb 21, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?bWxzb3Vw?=

    Malke Guest

    donotspam wrote:

    > I ran a registry scan with some downloaded software and when I tried
    > access my pc from my laptop I did not have a connection anymore. The
    > only
    > problem that I have is the file and print sharing. It was working
    > fine until I did that.
    >
    > System Restore is not available and not working. How do I file share
    > again with my computer as I have some important doc's to print from
    > home pc with laptop.
    >
    > I can't undue what I did. I can surf the internet fine from the
    > router that
    > is connected to the pc, but just cannot share files? I would just
    > like to share files again....desperately!
    >
    > Thank you.

    This is one of the reasons we techs don't suggest using registry
    cleaners. You are actually lucky that you're able to get into Windows
    at all. If the registry cleaner has an Undo feature, use it. If it
    doesn't, then uninstall it!

    Naturally there is no way for us to know what damage the registry
    cleaner did to your system. Since you mention that you have System
    Restore, I'm assuming you have XP and not ME. If that is correct, run
    the Network Setup Wizard on the laptop, making sure to enable File &
    Printer Sharing, and reboot. The only "gotcha" is that this will turn
    on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a third-party
    firewall or have an antivirus with "Internet Worm Protection" (like
    Norton 2005/06) which acts as a firewall, then you're fine. If you have
    third-party firewall software, configure it to allow the Local Area
    Network traffic as trusted. I usually do this with my firewalls with an
    IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you would
    substitute your correct subnet. Check that your shares are set the way
    you want them.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke, Feb 21, 2006

  3. Thank you very much. My network detector was unchecked in Norton Internet
    Security and I checked it and it worked great. I am assuming that this
    registry cleaner had somehow unchecked that box for me.

    Thank you.

    What do you recommend that I use to clean my registry if not a registry
    cleaner?
    --
    Thank you,
    Matt Campbell

    =?Utf-8?B?bWxzb3Vw?=, Feb 21, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?bWxzb3Vw?=

    Malke Guest

    donotspam wrote:

    > Thank you very much. My network detector was unchecked in Norton
    > Internet
    > Security and I checked it and it worked great. I am assuming that
    > this registry cleaner had somehow unchecked that box for me.
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > What do you recommend that I use to clean my registry if not a
    > registry cleaner?

    It is not necessary to clean the XP registry the way it was in older MS
    operating systems. I suggest that if you don't know the registry well
    enough to hand-edit it, you leave it alone and don't worry about it.

    Malke

    Malke, Feb 22, 2006