  1. Why is it can use the news groups while I am in the area of my mail server
    but not while out of state using Qwest's broadband to connect to the
    internet in Arizona?

    BERNICE JOHNSON, May 2, 2007

  2. BERNICE JOHNSON

    Vanguard Guest

    "BERNICE JOHNSON" <> wrote in message
    news:c1QZh.4624$IJ3.3405@trnddc07...
    > Why is it can use the news groups while I am in the area of my mail
    > server but not while out of state using Qwest's broadband to connect
    > to the internet in Arizona?

    Probably because when you are on Qwest then Verizon hasn't a clue who
    you are. You are just another hacker wannabe trying to get at their
    resources for which you do not have permission. Ask Verizon. Might be
    that you MUST be on their network so they know you are one of their
    customers who have permission to use their resources. Some NNTP servers
    don't care from where you connect as long as you provide valid login
    credentials. Since credentials can be hacked, like using keyloggers at
    those cafes where you got temporary Internet access, they figure that
    login credentials are not sufficient to identify who you are and that
    you are one of their legitimate customers. So they may also require
    that you be on THEIR network using those login credentials. If you turn
    out to be hacking into someone else's account, they'll have a better
    capability of tracking the offender.

    Although a reader might conclude that "the area of your mail server"
    means Verizon, you don't really say that. So is Verizon your mail
    provider and also the one with whom you have an Internet account for
    access and includes NNTP service? If so, what did they say when you
    call them? Have you checked their FAQ or help web pages to see if they
    already addressed your issue?

    Vanguard, May 2, 2007

  3. BERNICE JOHNSON

    Tester Guest

    On Tue, 01 May 2007 23:27:04 GMT, "BERNICE JOHNSON"
    <> wrote:

    >Why is it can use the news groups while I am in the area of my mail server
    >but not while out of state using Qwest's broadband to connect to the
    >internet in Arizona?

    If you're using the Verizon news server it only accepts connections
    from within Verizon's network.

    Tester, May 2, 2007
  4. BERNICE JOHNSON

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "BERNICE JOHNSON" <> wrote in message
    > Why is it can use the news groups while I am in the area of my mail server
    > but not while out of state using Qwest's broadband to connect to the
    > internet in Arizona?

    That could be because there IS no news in Arizona.

    Kind of like that little town just outside of Portland Oregon: Boring.

    WhzzKdd, May 2, 2007
  5. BERNICE JOHNSON wrote:
    > Why is it can use the news groups while I am in the area of my mail server
    > but not while out of state using Qwest's broadband to connect to the
    > internet in Arizona?

    For the record, newsgroups have nothing do do with email.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, May 2, 2007
  6. BERNICE JOHNSON

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-05-01, BERNICE JOHNSON <> wrote:
    > Why is it can use the news groups while I am in the area of my mail server
    > but not while out of state using Qwest's broadband to connect to the
    > internet in Arizona?

    Most ISP's news-servers are available only to people using that ISP's
    internet connections. So when you connect using Qwest you won't have
    access to Verizon's news-server - but you may well have access to Qwest's
    news-server.

    There are public news-servers you can access from any internet connection;
    most of them require payment. A web search will get you a good number of
    possibilities; I can recommend the text-groups-only service I use which
    you can read about at <http://www.individual.net/>.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, May 2, 2007
  7. Whiskers wrote:
    > On 2007-05-01, BERNICE JOHNSON <> wrote:
    >> Why is it can use the news groups while I am in the area of my mail server
    >> but not while out of state using Qwest's broadband to connect to the
    >> internet in Arizona?

    > Most ISP's news-servers are available only to people using that ISP's
    > internet connections. So when you connect using Qwest you won't have
    > access to Verizon's news-server - but you may well have access to Qwest's
    > news-server.
    >
    > There are public news-servers you can access from any internet connection;
    > most of them require payment. A web search will get you a good number of
    > possibilities; I can recommend the text-groups-only service I use which
    > you can read about at <http://www.individual.net/>.

    /me anticipates OP's next crisis

    That one is only ABOUT A DOLLAR A MONTH.

    Blinky the Shark, May 2, 2007