unable to connect to mysql

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by pc, Feb 2, 2006.

  1. pc

    pc Guest

    hi everyone,

    I am trying to connect to a new mysql installation. I have given root
    permission to connect to all databases from anywhere;

    GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO 'root'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY 'passwd' WITH
    GRANT OPTION;

    I can log on locally by specifying the host name:

    [me@au101 me]$ mysql -h 127.0.0.1 -u root -p test
    Enter password:
    Welcome to the MySQL monitor. Commands end with ; or \g.
    Your MySQL connection id is 2 to server version: 5.0.18-standard

    However, when I try to log in locally without specifying the host name
    I receive the following error:

    [me@au101 me]$ mysql -u root -p mysql
    Enter password:
    ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
    '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

    If I try to connect remotely as root using MySQLyog I receive a similar

    error message:

    Access denied for user root@[my ip]

    Any assistance would be appreciated.

    cheers,

    eddiec :)

    pc, Feb 2, 2006

  2. pc

    Duane Arnold Guest

    pc <> wrote in message
    <>...

    > hi everyone,.

    Hey, pretty girl. [From the bum on the corner]

    > I am trying to connect to a new mysql installation.

    Is it even possible to connect to a new mysql installation? Maybe you
    should try something else.

    > I have given root permission to connect to all databases from
    > anywhere;.

    Been there, done that.

    > GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.

    All sorts of things.

    > * TO 'root'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY 'passwd' WITH GRANT OPTION;.

    To each according to their capacity.

    > I can log on locally by specifying the host name:.

    Prove it.

    > [me@au101 me]$ mysql -h 127.

    Insufferable imbecile.

    > 0.

    It's handy, in case you didn't know.

    > OMG AT LAST - I've been searching the newsgroups to find a serious
    > group for ages because my problem is so serious I think only this
    > group can help me!! I'm really starting to panic cos I'm a virgin.

    Relax. Sit down. Put your feet up. Maybe go for a walk in the hills.
    There's hope; tomorrow you might be dead.

    > 0.

    You like that stuff, huh?

    > 1 -u root -p test Enter password: Welcome to the MySQL monitor.

    Icicles. Popsicles. Spectacles Testi..ng 123

    > Commands end with ; or \g.

    Fallacy of amphiboly, pc. The premise is ambiguous because of your
    careless or ungrammatical phrasing.

    > I'm always too stressed out about nothing!!...

    Suicide will free you from personal pain, anguish, depression, debt and
    fear, pc

    > Your MySQL connection id is 2 to server version: 5.

    I can't help with your problem but I can suggest you stop spamming.

    > 0.

    It's nice for an old person. It's like a game.

    > 18-standard.

    Fight your own battles.

    > no i have no sex life with my partner anymore :(

    If it's itchy, don't scratch it.

    > However, when I try to log in locally without specifying the host name
    > I receive the following error:.

    How many times have you tried to log in locally without specifying the
    host name you receive the following error:?

    > [me@au101 me]$ mysql -u root -p mysql Enter password: ERROR 2002
    > (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
    > '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.

    You should be careful too.

    > sock' (2).

    Make a mental note; oh, you're out of paper.

    > If all 7-11 stores are open 24 hrs a day, 365 days a year, why are
    > there locks on the doors?

    If it's itchy, don't scratch it.

    > If I try to connect remotely as root using MySQLyog I receive a
    > similar.

    How many times have you tried to connect remotely as root using mysqlyog
    you receive a similar?

    > error message:.

    Why do you make so many mistakes?

    > Access denied for user root@[my ip].

    For anything?

    > Any assistance would be appreciated.

    Staying out of trouble today?

    > I just wish I could stop these negative thoughts!

    Eh? Are you serious?

    > cheers,.

    You're ashamed because you hate yourself. Don't you think that's ironic?

    > Where can I get answers to questions about my upcoming colonoscopy?

    Really, pc?

    > eddiec :).

    Lurvie.

    > I just stood there grinning like an idiot.

    Right, well. Thanks for sharing, pc.

    --
    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Feb 3, 2006

  3. pc

    why? Guest

    On 2 Feb 2006 15:45:12 -0800, pc wrote:

    >hi everyone,
    >
    >I am trying to connect to a new mysql installation. I have given root
    >permission to connect to all databases from anywhere;
    >
    >GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO 'root'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY 'passwd' WITH
    >GRANT OPTION;
    >
    >I can log on locally by specifying the host name:
    >
    >[me@au101 me]$ mysql -h 127.0.0.1 -u root -p test
    >Enter password:
    >Welcome to the MySQL monitor. Commands end with ; or \g.
    >Your MySQL connection id is 2 to server version: 5.0.18-standard
    >
    >However, when I try to log in locally without specifying the host name
    >I receive the following error:
    >
    >[me@au101 me]$ mysql -u root -p mysql
    >Enter password:
    >ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
    >'/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

    Oh look error message / code, Google it.

    http://www.google.com/search?q=ERROR 2002 (HY000)
    add more of the message for ,

    Web Results 1 - 10 of about 522 English pages for
    ERROR 2002 (HY000) Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
    .. (0.31 seconds)

    Me

    why?, Feb 3, 2006