Unable to connect to internet...via wireless

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Fred, Sep 9, 2005.

  1. Fred

    Fred Guest

    I have a Dell laptop/XP Pro/McAfee version8 It has a wireless network card
    and an Ethernet connection.

    If I use the wired Ethernet connection it connects to the LAN and internet
    100% or the time

    If I use wireless...
    1) It finds the available networks
    2) it obtains an IP address ok
    3) but then wont ping the gateway or any other local addresses other than
    its own. Also no internet connectivity either.

    All other computers using wireless are connecting to all services without a
    problem so this is local to the PC.

    I have been through all the settings and there are no discernable problems,
    so if anyone can shed light on why the hard wire works and the wi.fi doesn't
    that would be a big help!

    Rick

    Fred, Sep 9, 2005

  2. Fred

    SATech Guest

    Rick,
    Is WinXP SP2 installed? If so, is the wireless connection firewalled?
    Let me know.

    SATech, Sep 10, 2005

  3. Fred

    bluebear

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2007
    Messages:
    3
    Hey SATech,
    i have installed windows XP S2, and since i did that, i cant seem to connect via wireless :( the wireless keeps connecting for literaly one second and then disconnecting... the signal strengh is excellent though... how do i check if its firewalled?

    Thanks for ur help!!!!!

    bluebear, Jun 25, 2007
  4. Fred

    bluebear