    I'm having problems connecting to IHUGs news servers, and I'm unable to
    get any useful information from your help desk, so I was wondering if
    you could give me some information to help me solve the problem.

    Whenever I try and connect to ihugs news server at news.chc.ihug.co.nz
    ( or lust or any other listed address) with any news reading software
    I get the error message "502: you have no permission to talk. goodbye"

    The relevant snippet of my error log is pasted below

    2/07/2005 9:43:34 p.m. Connection closed unexpectedly by server.:
    Finished retrieving bodies.
    12/07/2005 8:31:19 a.m. Connection closed unexpectedly by server.:
    Connecting to lust.ihug.co.nz.
    12/07/2005 8:31:30 a.m. Error reported by Server: 502 You have no
    permission to talk. Goodbye..: Connecting to lust.ihug.co.nz.
    12/07/2005 8:31:57 a.m. Error reported by Server: 502 You have no
    permission to talk. Goodbye..: Connecting to news.chc.ihug.co.nz.

    As you can see this error happened some time ago and is still occuring.
    I've been using IHUGS news servers for almost 10 years with few
    problems before this.

    All my research and attempts to find a solution tell me that error
    message means my IP is not authorised to talk to your server, but your
    help desk is adamant your news servers have open access.

    As you can see I am stumped and I would very very much appreciate some
    information about this error message and what might be causing me to
    recieve it.

    regards

    ....tom
    ...Tom, Jul 18, 2005

  2. ...Tom

    Steve Guest

    On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 03:26:22 -0700, ...Tom wrote:

    > Been having problems with IHUGs news server for a week and their help desk
    > is worse than useless, to the point they should just stop pretending to
    > provide support and save the money they spend.
    >
    > The last email I sent on the subject is copied below. Can anyone give me
    > any tips at all as to where the problem might be?
    >

    > EMAIL TO IHUG NEWSMASTER
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm having problems connecting to IHUGs news servers, and I'm unable to
    > get any useful information from your help desk, so I was wondering if you
    > could give me some information to help me solve the problem.
    >
    > Whenever I try and connect to ihugs news server at news.chc.ihug.co.nz (
    > or lust or any other listed address) with any news reading software I get
    > the error message "502: you have no permission to talk. goodbye"
    >
    > The relevant snippet of my error log is pasted below
    >
    > 2/07/2005 9:43:34 p.m. Connection closed unexpectedly by server.: Finished
    > retrieving bodies.
    > 12/07/2005 8:31:19 a.m. Connection closed unexpectedly by server.:
    > Connecting to lust.ihug.co.nz.
    > 12/07/2005 8:31:30 a.m. Error reported by Server: 502 You have no
    > permission to talk. Goodbye..: Connecting to lust.ihug.co.nz. 12/07/2005
    > 8:31:57 a.m. Error reported by Server: 502 You have no permission to talk.
    > Goodbye..: Connecting to news.chc.ihug.co.nz.
    >
    > As you can see this error happened some time ago and is still occuring.
    > I've been using IHUGS news servers for almost 10 years with few problems
    > before this.
    >
    > All my research and attempts to find a solution tell me that error message
    > means my IP is not authorised to talk to your server, but your help desk
    > is adamant your news servers have open access.
    >
    > As you can see I am stumped and I would very very much appreciate some
    > information about this error message and what might be causing me to
    > recieve it.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > ...tom

    ....works fine for me, and I'm at news.chc.ihug.co.nz as well. I've
    recently had to move to bliink, and that screwed up my dns. Could this be
    the problem?

    Steve
    Steve, Jul 18, 2005

  3. ...Tom

    ...Tom Guest

    I don't know. It's wierd. The problem replicates whatever newsreader
    software I use. I have rebooted the router, I've rebooted the comp,
    I've turned the firewall off and then on again. Reinstalled numerous
    bits of software. All to no avail.

    Connect to the usenet port and bingo!! "502: you have no permission to
    talk. Goodbye."

    The only internet reference I can find to that specific error message
    is that my IP is not authorised, but IHUGs helpdesk swears that isn't
    possible.

    What I find very frustrating is the complete inability of IHUG, A
    company I've been paying money to for 10 years, to be of any assistance
    whatsoever. I appreciate that every users setup is different and that
    there's no way they can provide meaningful support for every
    configuration and software package, but it's their server FFS. They
    could at least tell me what conditions trigger that error message for
    their server, and suggest areas I could explore in looking for a
    solution.

    But no, I get snarky emails from anonymous helpdesk staff, and no reply
    at all to my last 2 attempts to contact them. It's the worst customer
    relations, let alone service, I've had for some time. Not bloody good
    enough.
    ...Tom, Jul 18, 2005
  4. ...Tom

    XPD Guest

    "...Tom" <> wrote in message

    > The only internet reference I can find to that specific error message
    > is that my IP is not authorised, but IHUGs helpdesk swears that isn't
    > possible.

    It is very possible, and very likely.... it use to happen all the time
    during my 3 years on the IHUG helpdesk. Theyve probably enabled a new range
    of IPs and just havent updated the news server to allow connections from
    that pool.
    Ask to speak to someone who has been there 3yrs or more and you'll probably
    get some actual help :)
    XPD, Jul 18, 2005
  5. In article <>,
    says...

    > Been having problems with IHUGs news server for a week and their help
    > desk is worse than useless, to the point they should just stop
    > pretending to provide support and save the money they spend.

    The problems with Ihug Helpdesk have come up repeatedly on ihug.general
    over the last few months, and Taryn Hamilton has promised that the
    situation is being rectified but so far I haven't seen any evidence of
    that. Shit, for years I used to advise my customers to connect through
    Ihug because they have such a good helpdesk. No longer. The Aussies
    definitely fscked something up, as of about 10 months ago.

    Re.: your problem, I can confirm that access to ihug's newsservers is
    given dependant on your IP being in the newsserver's tables and it has
    happened in the recent past that Ihug opened up new IP ranges and
    someone forgot to tell the newsserver about it. Same with SMTP.

    Suggest the next time you ring helpdesk and get the 'open access' spiel,
    you ask to talk to a supervisor - they should at least have a shade of a
    clue. Ihug's newsserver is definitely NOT open to the world at large.

    -Peter
    Peter Huebner, Jul 18, 2005
  6. "Peter Huebner" <> wrote in message
    > The problems with Ihug Helpdesk have come up repeatedly on ihug.general
    > over the last few months, and Taryn Hamilton has promised that the
    > situation is being rectified but so far I haven't seen any evidence of
    > that. Shit, for years I used to advise my customers to connect through
    > Ihug because they have such a good helpdesk. No longer. The Aussies
    > definitely fscked something up, as of about 10 months ago.

    Hi Peter,

    As you point out we had acknowledged we were having a tough time earlier in
    the year , but certainly not because of any .au influence I can assure you.
    (Black Caps getting hammered by the Aussie cricket team probably had more
    bearing).

    Our Contact Centre team has made significant progress over the last couple
    of months and we are confident we're back on track to providing the quality
    support that you mention you've become accustomed to and that we expect of
    ourselves.

    > Re.: your problem, I can confirm that access to ihug's newsservers is
    > given dependant on your IP being in the newsserver's tables and it has
    > happened in the recent past that Ihug opened up new IP ranges and
    > someone forgot to tell the newsserver about it. Same with SMTP.

    Yes you're about correct, Telecom had added a new IP range to their
    JetStream service and not informed us. We have updated the access lists for
    our NewsServer , this should have resolved Toms problem.

    > Suggest the next time you ring helpdesk and get the 'open access' spiel,
    > you ask to talk to a supervisor - they should at least have a shade of a
    > clue. Ihug's newsserver is definitely NOT open to the world at large.

    I'll make sure that the CSR that took Toms call gets the correct
    information.

    Cheers,

    Taryn @ ihug
    Taryn Hamilton, Jul 19, 2005
  7. ...Tom

    Richard Guest

    XPD wrote:

    > It is very possible, and very likely.... it use to happen all the time
    > during my 3 years on the IHUG helpdesk. Theyve probably enabled a new range
    > of IPs and just havent updated the news server to allow connections from
    > that pool.
    > Ask to speak to someone who has been there 3yrs or more and you'll probably
    > get some actual help :)

    I think they have all left one way or another. No familiar faces when I was in
    paying my bill...
    Richard, Jul 19, 2005
  8. ...Tom

    XPD Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > XPD wrote:
    >
    >> It is very possible, and very likely.... it use to happen all the time
    >> during my 3 years on the IHUG helpdesk. Theyve probably enabled a new
    >> range of IPs and just havent updated the news server to allow connections
    >> from that pool.
    >> Ask to speak to someone who has been there 3yrs or more and you'll
    >> probably get some actual help :)

    > I think they have all left one way or another. No familiar faces when I
    > was in paying my bill...

    Hehe, I got nicely told I was no longer welcome on the premises shortly
    after I left..... havent been back since.
    XPD, Jul 19, 2005
  9. ...Tom

    TomV Guest

    On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 12:01:40 +1200, "Taryn Hamilton"
    <> wrote:

    >"Peter Huebner" <> wrote in message
    >> The problems with Ihug Helpdesk have come up repeatedly on ihug.general
    >> over the last few months, and Taryn Hamilton has promised that the
    >> situation is being rectified but so far I haven't seen any evidence of
    >> that. Shit, for years I used to advise my customers to connect through
    >> Ihug because they have such a good helpdesk. No longer. The Aussies
    >> definitely fscked something up, as of about 10 months ago.

    >Hi Peter,
    >
    >As you point out we had acknowledged we were having a tough time earlier in
    >the year , but certainly not because of any .au influence I can assure you.
    >(Black Caps getting hammered by the Aussie cricket team probably had more
    >bearing).
    >
    >Our Contact Centre team has made significant progress over the last couple
    >of months and we are confident we're back on track to providing the quality
    >support that you mention you've become accustomed to and that we expect of
    >ourselves.

    The problem has been solved by IHUG for which I am appreciative.
    Contact today has been detailed, to the point and most of all,
    helpful.

    I will be discussing this with IHUG further but I'll do that
    privately.

    Bouquet to IHUG for getting it sorted.

    ....tom
    TomV, Jul 19, 2005
  10. ...Tom

    Rob Guest

    "...Tom" <> wrote in message
    > I don't know. It's wierd. The problem replicates whatever newsreader
    > software I use. I have rebooted the router, I've rebooted the comp,
    > I've turned the firewall off and then on again. Reinstalled numerous
    > bits of software. All to no avail.
    >
    > Connect to the usenet port and bingo!! "502: you have no permission to
    > talk. Goodbye."
    >
    > The only internet reference I can find to that specific error message
    > is that my IP is not authorised, but IHUGs helpdesk swears that isn't
    > possible.
    >
    > What I find very frustrating is the complete inability of IHUG, A
    > company I've been paying money to for 10 years, to be of any assistance
    > whatsoever. I appreciate that every users setup is different and that
    > there's no way they can provide meaningful support for every
    > configuration and software package, but it's their server FFS. They
    > could at least tell me what conditions trigger that error message for
    > their server, and suggest areas I could explore in looking for a
    > solution.
    >
    > But no, I get snarky emails from anonymous helpdesk staff, and no reply
    > at all to my last 2 attempts to contact them. It's the worst customer
    > relations, let alone service, I've had for some time. Not bloody good
    > enough.

    They probably just don't know the answer for you particular situation. You
    can't critiise them for that, as they aren't miracle workers. It is very
    liely to be an issue at your end, so in effect you are wasting ihHugs time,
    in troubleshooting your own problem.
    Have you tried connecting via an isolated computer, as another poster said
    that they could connect with no problems.
    Rob, Jul 19, 2005
  11. ...Tom

    TomV Guest

    On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 21:26:30 +1200, "Rob" <>
    wrote:

    >> But no, I get snarky emails from anonymous helpdesk staff, and no reply
    >> at all to my last 2 attempts to contact them. It's the worst customer
    >> relations, let alone service, I've had for some time. Not bloody good
    >> enough.
    >>

    >They probably just don't know the answer for you particular situation. You
    >can't critiise them for that, as they aren't miracle workers. It is very
    >liely to be an issue at your end, so in effect you are wasting ihHugs time,
    >in troubleshooting your own problem.
    > Have you tried connecting via an isolated computer, as another poster said
    >that they could connect with no problems.

    Read on MacDuff.

    ....tom
    TomV, Jul 19, 2005
  12. In article <dbhfsr$pru$>,
    says...

    [snip]

    Taryn, I have sent you an email at ihugbusiness.co.nz.

    kind regards, -Peter
    in
    Peter Huebner, Jul 19, 2005
  13. ...Tom

    Rob J Guest

    wrote:

    >"...Tom" <> wrote in message
    >> I don't know. It's wierd. The problem replicates whatever newsreader
    >> software I use. I have rebooted the router, I've rebooted the comp,
    >> I've turned the firewall off and then on again. Reinstalled numerous
    >> bits of software. All to no avail.
    >>
    >> Connect to the usenet port and bingo!! "502: you have no permission to
    >> talk. Goodbye."
    >>
    >> The only internet reference I can find to that specific error message
    >> is that my IP is not authorised, but IHUGs helpdesk swears that isn't
    >> possible.
    >>
    >> What I find very frustrating is the complete inability of IHUG, A
    >> company I've been paying money to for 10 years, to be of any assistance
    >> whatsoever. I appreciate that every users setup is different and that
    >> there's no way they can provide meaningful support for every
    >> configuration and software package, but it's their server FFS. They
    >> could at least tell me what conditions trigger that error message for
    >> their server, and suggest areas I could explore in looking for a
    >> solution.
    >>
    >> But no, I get snarky emails from anonymous helpdesk staff, and no reply
    >> at all to my last 2 attempts to contact them. It's the worst customer
    >> relations, let alone service, I've had for some time. Not bloody good
    >> enough.
    >>

    >They probably just don't know the answer for you particular situation. You
    >can't critiise them for that, as they aren't miracle workers. It is very
    >liely to be an issue at your end, so in effect you are wasting ihHugs time,
    >in troubleshooting your own problem.
    > Have you tried connecting via an isolated computer, as another poster said
    >that they could connect with no problems.

    Obviously you are not an Ihug customer.

    Since whenever their last crash was, last week, I get stupid error
    messages whenever I try to post to ihug.general

    I know from experience that emailing them is a complete waste of time.
    ihug.general by the way is full of complaints from people about their
    lack of response to email helpdesk queries.

    When I first signed up with Ihug the online signup would not work. I
    emailed them to no avail. The fault wasn't fixed and eventually I rang
    the 0800 number and signed up that way. My emails regarding their
    website were never acknowledged.

    Likewise a mate whose company is a longstanding Ihug client, tries to
    sign onto their global roaming service. The website doesn't work.
    Sends emails to them. No replies to the emails.

    Seems like a complaint to Consumer Affairs would be in order at the
    very least.
    Rob J, Jul 19, 2005
  14. Rob J wrote:
    > I know from experience that emailing them is a complete waste of time.
    > ihug.general by the way is full of complaints from people about their
    > lack of response to email helpdesk queries.
    >
    > When I first signed up with Ihug the online signup would not work. I
    > emailed them to no avail. The fault wasn't fixed and eventually I rang
    > the 0800 number and signed up that way. My emails regarding their
    > website were never acknowledged.
    >
    > Likewise a mate whose company is a longstanding Ihug client, tries to
    > sign onto their global roaming service. The website doesn't work.
    > Sends emails to them. No replies to the emails.
    >
    > Seems like a complaint to Consumer Affairs would be in order at the
    > very least.

    seems like you shouldn't have signed up, considering that you and your
    mate had trouble getting a response from them.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 19, 2005
  15. ...Tom

    Rob J Guest

    On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 07:20:53 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    <> wrote:

    >Rob J wrote:
    >> I know from experience that emailing them is a complete waste of time.
    >> ihug.general by the way is full of complaints from people about their
    >> lack of response to email helpdesk queries.
    >>
    >> When I first signed up with Ihug the online signup would not work. I
    >> emailed them to no avail. The fault wasn't fixed and eventually I rang
    >> the 0800 number and signed up that way. My emails regarding their
    >> website were never acknowledged.
    >>
    >> Likewise a mate whose company is a longstanding Ihug client, tries to
    >> sign onto their global roaming service. The website doesn't work.
    >> Sends emails to them. No replies to the emails.
    >>
    >> Seems like a complaint to Consumer Affairs would be in order at the
    >> very least.

    >seems like you shouldn't have signed up, considering that you and your
    >mate had trouble getting a response from them.

    Hindsight is so wonderful ain't it.
    Rob J, Jul 21, 2005
  16. Rob J wrote:
    >>>When I first signed up with Ihug the online signup would not work. I
    >>>emailed them to no avail. The fault wasn't fixed and eventually I rang
    >>>the 0800 number and signed up that way. My emails regarding their
    >>>website were never acknowledged.

    >>>Likewise a mate whose company is a longstanding Ihug client, tries to
    >>>sign onto their global roaming service. The website doesn't work.
    >>>Sends emails to them. No replies to the emails.

    >>seems like you shouldn't have signed up, considering that you and your
    >>mate had trouble getting a response from them.

    > Hindsight is so wonderful ain't it.

    Hindsight wasn't needed, you already knew they were crap.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 21, 2005
  17. ...Tom

    Rob J Guest

    On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 09:06:07 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    <> wrote:

    >>>seems like you shouldn't have signed up, considering that you and your
    >>>mate had trouble getting a response from them.

    >> Hindsight is so wonderful ain't it.

    >Hindsight wasn't needed, you already knew they were crap.

    No I didn't.

    When I enquired on this group, people said Ihug had a good news
    service.

    I was an Ihug customer some years back, they used to have occasional
    problems with their mailserver. This time around I haven't had any
    problems with their mail server.

    Xtra is crap, Clear is crap, Paradise is crap. In fact, ISPxxxxxx is
    crap. Which is more crap than the others?
    Rob J, Jul 23, 2005
  18. In article <>,
    Rob J <> wrote:

    >Xtra is crap, Clear is crap, Paradise is crap. In fact, ISPxxxxxx is
    >crap. Which is more crap than the others?

    "Welcome to CrapCo(TM). We tell you in advance, so you KNOW we're crap!"
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 23, 2005