    and the network security is WPA2 with AES data encryption. I have called Tech
    Support for Intel, HP, and Linksys, and nothing has changed. Can anyone help
    with this problem?

    Sanyu_Miyazaki, Jun 25, 2009

  2. Sanyu_Miyazaki

    Pavel A. Guest

    Sanyu_Miyazaki wrote:
    > It has connected to the access point before, but two days ago, it cut off and
    > left me unable to connect to the network. As the topic title mentions, I am
    > using the now-discontinued Intel PRO Wireless 2200 wireless card, which is
    > built into my HP-Compaq nc6220. The router is a Linksys WRT54G2 V1 router,
    > and the network security is WPA2 with AES data encryption. I have called Tech
    > Support for Intel, HP, and Linksys, and nothing has changed. Can anyone help
    > with this problem?

    Calling tech support sometimes may help by itself,
    but more often the problem won't go away unless
    being actually fixed...

    Have they advised anything?
    Have you tried to follow their advice?

    --pa

    Pavel A., Jun 25, 2009

  3. Sanyu_Miyazaki

    Lem Guest

    Sanyu_Miyazaki wrote:
    > It has connected to the access point before, but two days ago, it cut off and
    > left me unable to connect to the network. As the topic title mentions, I am
    > using the now-discontinued Intel PRO Wireless 2200 wireless card, which is
    > built into my HP-Compaq nc6220. The router is a Linksys WRT54G2 V1 router,
    > and the network security is WPA2 with AES data encryption. I have called Tech
    > Support for Intel, HP, and Linksys, and nothing has changed. Can anyone help
    > with this problem?

    Can you detect your wireless network but not connect?

    If you can't detect your own wireless network can you detect others?

    If you can't detect any wireless networks, are you sure that the card is
    *both* enabled (check in Device Manager) *and* turned on (should be
    either a physical switch or a Fn+F key combination)?

    If the card is enabled and turned on and you still can't detect *any*
    wireless networks (take your notebook to a Starbuck's or other wifi
    hotspot that you know is operational if there are no nearby wifi
    networks), then the card probably is defective.

    If you can detect *other* networks but not your own, then either you
    have configured your router to not broadcast your SSID (bad idea; change
    the router to broadcast SSID) or your router has failed (confirm by
    asking a friend to bring her wireless laptop over and see if she can
    detect your router).

    If you can detect your wireless network but not connect to it, try
    disabling encryption. Connect to the Linksys with an Ethernet cable,
    enter the configuration utility and go to Wireless > Wireless Security
    and select "Disabled." Also delete the entry for your network from your
    computer. If you're using Windows WZC to control the wireless card,
    from the "Chose a wireless network" screen click "Change the order of
    preferred networks." In the list of Preferred networks, select yours
    and "Remove" it. Now disconnect the Ethernet cable and try to connect
    wirelessly. If you can connect, go back into the router's configuration
    utility (again using an Ethernet cable) and reconfigure your encryption.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Lem, Jun 25, 2009
  4. I can detect the wireless network, but am unable to connect to it. However,
    the problem only applies to the laptop I mentioned. Other computers have no
    problem connecting to our wireless network.

    I asked my dad about it, and he thinks that it could have something to do
    with the damaged state of the laptop (which I had forgotten to mention, but
    as I was able to connect to the network previously, I highly doubt that
    damage is the problem.)
    --
    When in doubt, take a Spartan Laser to whatever is making you mad.

    Sanyu_Miyazaki, Jun 26, 2009
  5. "Sanyu_Miyazaki" wrote:

> [...]

    > > detect your router).
    > >
    > > If you can detect your wireless network but not connect to it, try
    > > disabling encryption. Connect to the Linksys with an Ethernet cable,
    > > enter the configuration utility and go to Wireless > Wireless Security
    > > and select "Disabled." Also delete the entry for your network from your
    > > computer. If you're using Windows WZC to control the wireless card,
    > > from the "Chose a wireless network" screen click "Change the order of
    > > preferred networks." In the list of Preferred networks, select yours
    > > and "Remove" it. Now disconnect the Ethernet cable and try to connect
    > > wirelessly. If you can connect, go back into the router's configuration
    > > utility (again using an Ethernet cable) and reconfigure your encryption.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Lem -- MS-MVP
    > >
    > > To the moon and back with 2K words of RAM and 36K words of ROM.

    Also of note, I am able to connect to other networks in the area. It's just
    my home network that seems to be the problem.
    --
    When in doubt, take a Spartan Laser to whatever is making you mad.

    Sanyu_Miyazaki, Jun 26, 2009
  6. Hi
    Disable temporarily the Wireless security in the Laptop and see if it
    connects.
    What Damage state means in technical terms?
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Jun 26, 2009
  7. =?Utf-8?B?U2FueXVfTWl5YXpha2k=?=
    <> wrote in

    > It has connected to the access point before, but two days ago, it
    > cut off and left me unable to connect to the network. As the topic
    > title mentions, I am using the now-discontinued Intel PRO Wireless
    > 2200 wireless card, which is built into my HP-Compaq nc6220. The
    > router is a Linksys WRT54G2 V1 router, and the network security is
    > WPA2 with AES data encryption. I have called Tech Support for
    > Intel, HP, and Linksys, and nothing has changed. Can anyone help
    > with this problem?

    It could be you have an old version of the driver. Try reinstalling
    the driver. Go to:
    <http://www.hp.com/#Support>
    Type in your model number and download the lastest Intel drivers.
    Note that there are two files that you should download and install.
    The first is labeled "Intel Pro / Wireless Drivers" (in the Network
    Driver Section) and the other is labeled "Intel PROSet for Intel
    PRO/Wireless Network Connection" (in the "Software - Solutions"
    section) These should be installed in pairs.

    Often re-installing the drivers can fix problems.

    HTH,
    John

    John Wunderlich, Jun 26, 2009