    I also was using ralink lan card driver .
    From what I have googled the rt2500 is suppose to be the driver that will
    work with the 64 bit platform, anything and everything I tried thus far has
    yet to work re installing this wireless router and usb network adapter.

    thanks for the help
    groovey, Nov 28, 2007

  2. I'm having a hard time understanding this. You used a USB wireless adapter
    on your non-laptop PC to connect to a wireless network?

    That's a really bad idea on several different levels, but if that's what
    you're saying, then you'll need to completely delete any trace of the
    adapter and carefully follow the instructions for installing it again. (I'd
    check the RaLink site if that's the chipset involved, or other resource. But
    some prefer to automatically find the USB device and then have you provide
    drivers, others want the drivers there before it gets plugged in.)

    Personally? I'd either find a way to get a real network cable to the router.
    Or use a bridge link such as the D-LInke DWL-G820 or DGL-3420. The
    advantage to one of the bridge solutions is that it's completely independent
    of the OS involved and doesn't require any drivers, just a working ethernet
    card. I have a DGL-3420 here to connect my TiVo to the wireless router, and
    it even does WPA2 security.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 28, 2007

  3. groovey

    Mike Douglas Guest

    Charlie said: "I have a DGL-3420 here to connect my TiVo to the wireless
    router, and
    it even does WPA2 security."

    Charlie do you know where I can find step by step instructions on how to
    hook up router to a Tivo?
    Mike D

    Mike Douglas, Nov 28, 2007
  4. Should be on the TivoCommunity Forum site, if no where else. But it's
    trivial.

    1.) you need a _supported_ usb NIC or Wireless NIC, or one of the newer
    boxes that have built in Ethernet.
    2.) Built in ethernet: connect it. Set your TiVo to get an address
    automatically from the router if you're running DHCP on the router.
    Otherwise, manually input an IP address in the same range as the router.

    3.) Wireless USB: you'll need to disable WPA - it will only work with THEIR
    versions of wireless. But if you buy one of their USB Wireless NICs you
    should be able to do WPA, though not WPA2. Same instructions as the
    ethernet, except here you also need to input the SSID (wireless network
    name) you're using, and input the key for any security. If you can't do at
    least WPA, make your life easier - just leave it wide open. Cause WEP is
    useless anyway.

    4.) USB Ethernet or direct ethernet to a bridge: Set as direct ethernet, and
    plug into the bridge (DGL-3420, in my case). Use your home PC to configure
    the DGL-3420 following the instructions included with it. Use whatever
    security you want, and that your router supports. Since it's painless and
    has nothing to do with the TiVo - it's entirely between the DGL and the
    router.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64