Unable to compact/repair database

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by John, Jul 8, 2006.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Hi. Sometimes when I go into an access database that I wish to shrink
    in size to reduce old records, I go to the Tools menu and select
    Database Utilities and Compact & Repair Database. I often get an error
    message though saying that I am already in it? What gives?

    The message in more detail says:

    "You attempted to open a database that is already opened exclusively
    by user 'admin' on machine 'Nameofmachine'. Try again when the
    database is available".

    I don't understand what I have done wrong or why it often comes up
    with this message. Microsoft Access seems to be very temperamental
    when it comes to compacting this database I use.

    When I tried to compact this I had made sure that no other users where
    in it, either I had asked them to exit it until I had compacted it, or
    I had done it first thing in the morning or last thing before I went
    home but after everyone else had gone. So I am not sure why it still
    gives this error message?

    Can anyone shed any light on this and tell me what the issue might be
    and how I can get it compacted without any problems? It seems to only
    work once in a while and I have not been able to understand why.

    Cheers

    John

    John, Jul 8, 2006

  2. John wrote:
    > Hi. Sometimes when I go into an access database that I wish to shrink
    > in size to reduce old records, I go to the Tools menu and select
    > Database Utilities and Compact & Repair Database. I often get an error
    > message though saying that I am already in it? What gives?
    >
    > The message in more detail says:
    >
    > "You attempted to open a database that is already opened exclusively
    > by user 'admin' on machine 'Nameofmachine'. Try again when the
    > database is available".
    >
    > I don't understand what I have done wrong or why it often comes up
    > with this message. Microsoft Access seems to be very temperamental
    > when it comes to compacting this database I use.
    >
    > When I tried to compact this I had made sure that no other users where
    > in it, either I had asked them to exit it until I had compacted it, or
    > I had done it first thing in the morning or last thing before I went
    > home but after everyone else had gone. So I am not sure why it still
    > gives this error message?
    >
    > Can anyone shed any light on this and tell me what the issue might be
    > and how I can get it compacted without any problems? It seems to only
    > work once in a while and I have not been able to understand why.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > John

    Is it a "shared" database? Someone else may have it open. Another
    possibility is it did not close down properly last time it was used, maybe
    turned off the computer while it was still open. In those cases you should
    see a YOURFILENAME.LDB file still there. Exiting the database then deleting
    that file should clear it up. If it is shared then you need to get them to
    exit.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit

    Joseph Meehan, Jul 8, 2006

  3. John

    Duane Arnold Guest

    John wrote:
    > Hi. Sometimes when I go into an access database that I wish to shrink
    > in size to reduce old records, I go to the Tools menu and select
    > Database Utilities and Compact & Repair Database. I often get an error
    > message though saying that I am already in it? What gives?
    >
    > The message in more detail says:
    >
    > "You attempted to open a database that is already opened exclusively
    > by user 'admin' on machine 'Nameofmachine'. Try again when the
    > database is available".
    >
    > I don't understand what I have done wrong or why it often comes up
    > with this message. Microsoft Access seems to be very temperamental
    > when it comes to compacting this database I use.
    >
    > When I tried to compact this I had made sure that no other users where
    > in it, either I had asked them to exit it until I had compacted it, or
    > I had done it first thing in the morning or last thing before I went
    > home but after everyone else had gone. So I am not sure why it still
    > gives this error message?
    >
    > Can anyone shed any light on this and tell me what the issue might be
    > and how I can get it compacted without any problems? It seems to only
    > work once in a while and I have not been able to understand why.

    Here is my opinion on the whole thing. No application that is a multi
    user application should be using Access as a database. The application
    should be using MS SQL Server as the database, which is designed for
    multi user usage. Access is not designed for multi user usage, although
    people try to do it.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jul 9, 2006
  4. John

    John Guest

    On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 22:33:15 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
    <> wrote:

    >John wrote:
    >> Hi. Sometimes when I go into an access database that I wish to shrink
    >> in size to reduce old records, I go to the Tools menu and select
    >> Database Utilities and Compact & Repair Database. I often get an error
    >> message though saying that I am already in it? What gives?
    >>
    >> The message in more detail says:
    >>
    >> "You attempted to open a database that is already opened exclusively
    >> by user 'admin' on machine 'Nameofmachine'. Try again when the
    >> database is available".
    >>
    >> I don't understand what I have done wrong or why it often comes up
    >> with this message. Microsoft Access seems to be very temperamental
    >> when it comes to compacting this database I use.
    >>
    >> When I tried to compact this I had made sure that no other users where
    >> in it, either I had asked them to exit it until I had compacted it, or
    >> I had done it first thing in the morning or last thing before I went
    >> home but after everyone else had gone. So I am not sure why it still
    >> gives this error message?
    >>
    >> Can anyone shed any light on this and tell me what the issue might be
    >> and how I can get it compacted without any problems? It seems to only
    >> work once in a while and I have not been able to understand why.
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>
    >> John

    > Is it a "shared" database? Someone else may have it open. Another
    >possibility is it did not close down properly last time it was used, maybe
    >turned off the computer while it was still open. In those cases you should
    >see a YOURFILENAME.LDB file still there. Exiting the database then deleting
    >that file should clear it up. If it is shared then you need to get them to
    >exit.

    Thanks. Yes it is a shared database.

    John

    John, Jul 9, 2006
  5. John

    John Guest

    On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 07:29:39 GMT, Duane Arnold <"Do forget about
    it"@PleaeDo.BET> wrote:

    >John wrote:
    >> Hi. Sometimes when I go into an access database that I wish to shrink
    >> in size to reduce old records, I go to the Tools menu and select
    >> Database Utilities and Compact & Repair Database. I often get an error
    >> message though saying that I am already in it? What gives?
    >>
    >> The message in more detail says:
    >>
    >> "You attempted to open a database that is already opened exclusively
    >> by user 'admin' on machine 'Nameofmachine'. Try again when the
    >> database is available".
    >>
    >> I don't understand what I have done wrong or why it often comes up
    >> with this message. Microsoft Access seems to be very temperamental
    >> when it comes to compacting this database I use.
    >>
    >> When I tried to compact this I had made sure that no other users where
    >> in it, either I had asked them to exit it until I had compacted it, or
    >> I had done it first thing in the morning or last thing before I went
    >> home but after everyone else had gone. So I am not sure why it still
    >> gives this error message?
    >>
    >> Can anyone shed any light on this and tell me what the issue might be
    >> and how I can get it compacted without any problems? It seems to only
    >> work once in a while and I have not been able to understand why.
    >>

    >Here is my opinion on the whole thing. No application that is a multi
    >user application should be using Access as a database. The application
    >should be using MS SQL Server as the database, which is designed for
    >multi user usage. Access is not designed for multi user usage, although
    >people try to do it.

    I definitely agree with you on that! Unfortunately the company I work
    for despite being extremely large and having lots of money, doesn't
    seem to be too bothered about making something more usable. I don't
    think it is very high on their list of priorities. As long as what we
    have gets the job done, no matter how long it takes they're not
    interested in improving it.

    John

    John, Jul 9, 2006
  6. John

    Tony Toews Guest

    Duane Arnold <"Do forget about it"@PleaeDo.BET> wrote:

    >Here is my opinion on the whole thing. No application that is a multi
    >user application should be using Access as a database. The application
    >should be using MS SQL Server as the database, which is designed for
    >multi user usage. Access is not designed for multi user usage, although
    >people try to do it.

    Ah, I guess we won't tell my clients that. One of whom has 25 users
    in all day long. Some in A97 on NT 4.0. Others in A2000 on Terminal
    Server/Citrix. Yup, it doesn't work for them at all.

    Tony
    --
    Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
    read the entire thread of messages.

    Tony Toews, Jul 10, 2006
  7. Why do some people make silly comments about sql in an access group?

    Anyway what version of MsAccess are you using?
    What service pack have you applied?

    Have you tried to rename the file first to ensure no-one else is linked
    to it etc?

    There is alot of free code out there as well to check who is logged in,
    but with the compact command it seems best to open up MsAccess and then
    goto the tools menu and run the compact and then point to the database.
    Sometimes I get the locking issue you have otherwise.

    Tom Bizannes
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    (SQL Server 2000 Admininistration and Design)

    SmartbizAustralia, Jul 10, 2006
  8. "Duane Arnold" <"Do forget about it"@PleaeDo.BET> wrote in message

    > Here is my opinion on the whole thing. No application that is a multi user
    > application should be using Access as a database. The application should
    > be using MS SQL Server as the database, which is designed for multi user
    > usage. Access is not designed for multi user usage, although people try to
    > do it.

    Well Duane, there's no nice way to put this. You're wrong! A well designed
    Access/JET database will do almost anything, at at least 1/3 the cost of
    SQL-Server, that a company needs to do as long as the scale is within
    Access's specifications.

    I've been writing databases since 1981, Access databases since 1992, and as
    a professional developer for more than 10 years, and have yet to find a
    system as versatile as Access.

    The applications I currently support have 53 users on 15 front-end databases
    and 1 asp front-end all against a single 100 MB JET back-end. It is quick,
    despite users having as many as 3 front-ends open, and probably as many as
    65 concurrent connections. At any given time, there can be 8 asp users, 5
    users on Terminal Server, and 40 users on the LAN. We haven't had a
    corruption since April of 2003 when a bad WiFi card repeadedly dropped
    connections. Not only that, a truncated copy of the database has been
    running on a web server getting an average of 5,000 hits a day (maybe 3,500
    pageviews) with only a single problem since 2001. The same web server runs a
    SQL-Server database which was down for a day when the Sasser worm hit. In
    all the years I've been running Access, I've lost under 2 dozen records from
    corruption, and most of that corruption was due to user error (turning off a
    machine during a write).

    SQL-Server is a fine database engine too. I use it when I need better
    security (hospital records, etc.), when I have a lot of users, (75 or more),
    when I have large databases (over 500 MB), or when a client with money to
    burn insists on it.
    --
    Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
    Microsoft Access

    Arvin Meyer [MVP], Jul 10, 2006
  9. "John" <> wrote in message

    > I definitely agree with you on that! Unfortunately the company I work
    > for despite being extremely large and having lots of money, doesn't
    > seem to be too bothered about making something more usable. I don't
    > think it is very high on their list of priorities. As long as what we
    > have gets the job done, no matter how long it takes they're not
    > interested in improving it.

    1. Usability is a function of a developer's skill, not a database engine.

    2. I find Access front-ends 3 times faster to create than equally complex VB
    6. front-ends, and at least 5 times faster than VB.NET or ASP front-ends.
    The database structure (tables) are roughly the same effort, simple views
    and stored procs are slightly faster in Access, complex queries are
    significantly faster to write and debug due to the superior graphical
    interface. And reporting recordsources are much faster with many which use
    custom VBA functions within the SQL statement impossible in anything but
    Access.

    I work for Fortune 500 companies too, as well as government clients. The
    smart ones use the right tool, at the right price, for the job. The dumb
    ones make their decisions on the golf course, or by reading computer
    magazines.
    --
    Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
    Microsoft Access