    40gb

    TIA
    Chris H
    Chris H, Oct 23, 2003

  2. Chris H

    Bender Guest

    "Chris H" <> wrote in message
    news:bn8o96$tmmkr$-berlin.de...
    > Hi,
    >
    > problem: unable to boot up, i can't boot up with the boot cd as well
    >
    > on C drive i have Windows XP Home installed.When i try to start up It
    > says the system registry might be damaged or corupted....and that the
    > Active Control Set Key is missing ...how can i restore it? please help
    > Pentim 4
    > 512ddr
    > 40gb
    >
    > TIA
    > Chris H

    Yet you can post to a newsgroup?

    If it happens every time you turn on the computer, you are probably screwed.
    Did you try to reboot the computer and boot from the Windows CD? You may be
    able to re-install the OS over the top of the previous one but it will
    probably take a reformat of the hard drive to fix the problem.
    Bender, Oct 23, 2003

  3. Chris H

    Ralph Mann Guest

    Bender said:

    > "Chris H" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> problem: unable to boot up, i can't boot up with the boot cd as well
    >>
    >> on C drive i have Windows XP Home installed.When i try to start up It
    >> says the system registry might be damaged or corupted....and that the
    >> Active Control Set Key is missing ...how can i restore it? please help
    >> Pentim 4
    >> 512ddr
    >> 40gb
    >>
    >> TIA
    >> Chris H
    >>

    > Yet you can post to a newsgroup?

    Duh, maybe there is more than one pc in their country.

    Ralph Mann, Oct 23, 2003
  4. Chris H

    Chris H Guest

    | > Hi,
    | >
    | > problem: unable to boot up, i can't boot up with the boot cd as
    well

    | > on C drive i have Windows XP Home installed.When i try to start
    up It
    | > says the system registry might be damaged or corupted....and that
    the
    | > Active Control Set Key is missing ...how can i restore it? please
    help
    | > Pentim 4
    | > 512ddr
    | > 40gb
    | >
    | > TIA
    | > Chris H
    | >

    | Yet you can post to a newsgroup?
    lol..its obvious i am not posting from the same computer,

    | If it happens every time you turn on the computer, you are probably
    screwed.
    great!
    | Did you try to reboot the computer and boot from the Windows CD?
    You may be
    | able to re-install the OS over the top of the previous one but it
    will
    | probably take a reformat of the hard drive to fix the problem.

    Couldn't reboot using the cd. I dont wanna format the drive either,
    got lots of important stuff on it. Does anyone know of any software
    that could either repair the registry ? or could i copy some files
    into the the system folders of that disk ?
    Chris H, Oct 23, 2003
  5. Chris H

    dr_hardware Guest

    "Chris H" <> wrote in message

    > | > Hi,
    > | >
    > | > problem: unable to boot up, i can't boot up with the boot cd as
    > well
    > | >
    > | > on C drive i have Windows XP Home installed.When i try to start
    > up It
    > | > says the system registry might be damaged or corupted....and that
    > the
    > | > Active Control Set Key is missing ...how can i restore it? please
    > help
    > | > Pentim 4
    > | > 512ddr
    > | > 40gb
    > | >
    > | > TIA
    > | > Chris H
    > | >

    > | Yet you can post to a newsgroup?
    > lol..its obvious i am not posting from the same computer,
    >
    > | If it happens every time you turn on the computer, you are probably
    > screwed.
    > great!
    > | Did you try to reboot the computer and boot from the Windows CD?
    > You may be
    > | able to re-install the OS over the top of the previous one but it
    > will
    > | probably take a reformat of the hard drive to fix the problem.
    >
    > Couldn't reboot using the cd. I dont wanna format the drive either,
    > got lots of important stuff on it. Does anyone know of any software
    > that could either repair the registry ? or could i copy some files
    > into the the system folders of that disk ?

    If you couldn't boot using the CD, you have more of a problem than just a
    bad registry.
    What happens when you boot using the CD?
    dr_hardware, Oct 23, 2003
  6. Chris H

    Harrison Guest

    1. Follow this link and create a set of boot floppies.
    http://tinyurl.com/3azo
    Try restoring the master boot record by typing fixmbr at the command
    prompt.
    Then run the registry restoration tool scanreg /restore. Restore the
    registry to a known working copy.

    2. Try switching the cd drive to another controller on the
    motherboard.

    3. Pull the hard drive and install it in another machine. Make sure
    antivirus is up to date and running on the other machine first!

    Harrison, Oct 23, 2003
  7. Chris H

    Chris H Guest

    | If you couldn't boot using the CD, you have more of a problem than
    just a
    | bad registry.
    | What happens when you boot using the CD?

    When i boot up using the cd, everything goes fine, it loads drivers,
    etc. and then it comes to the blue screen where it asks me if i would
    like to install the os again or just to repair the os, when i click on
    repair os, it says " System registry is missing an Active control set
    key" something of that sort. I removed the harddisk and connected it
    to another pc, all the folders and files are there, but i cannot acces
    the stuff i had in my documents or desktop (probably because i had a
    password setup) . Is there any commercial software or tool that could
    help me to access my files so i could save them without having to
    format all my data..

    Thanks
    Chris H, Oct 23, 2003
  8. Chris H

    Chris H Guest

    | 1. Follow this link and create a set of boot floppies.
    | http://tinyurl.com/3azo
    Ok, i will try this too, but since my original xp cd is bootable, is
    there a point of creating floppy boot disks ?
    | Try restoring the master boot record by typing fixmbr at the command
    | prompt.
    will try that

    | Then run the registry restoration tool scanreg /restore. Restore the
    | registry to a known working copy.
    |
    | 2. Try switching the cd drive to another controller on the
    | motherboard.
    |
    | 3. Pull the hard drive and install it in another machine. Make sure
    | antivirus is up to date and running on the other machine first!

    I connected it to another machine, and could see all my files, but
    couldnt access all the my documents
    Chris H, Oct 23, 2003
  9. Chris H

    PhilGreg Guest

    "Chris H" <> wrote in message

    > | 1. Follow this link and create a set of boot floppies.
    > | http://tinyurl.com/3azo
    > Ok, i will try this too, but since my original xp cd is bootable, is
    > there a point of creating floppy boot disks ?
    > | Try restoring the master boot record by typing fixmbr at the

    command
    > | prompt.
    > will try that

    [snip]

    > I connected it to another machine, and could see all my files, but
    > couldnt access all the my documents

    ==> Bit half of the bullet. Boot from the CD and choose install again.
    It won't change any of your non Windows files. It may change your
    display settings and you will need to reinstall all of your M$
    updates.

    --
    Phil

    \\\///
    ( o o )
    --------oOOO-- ( )--OOOo------
    PhilGreg, Oct 23, 2003
  10. Chris H

    Chris H Guest

    <snip>

    | ==> Bit half of the bullet. Boot from the CD and choose install
    again.
    | It won't change any of your non Windows files. It may change your
    | display settings and you will need to reinstall all of your M$
    | updates.

    I tried doing that a couple of times but gave up when windows did not
    give me an option to select the target disk (C), I would like to know
    if i could recover my files that were stored on the "my documents"
    folder and on the "desktop", when i try accessing these, i get an
    "access denied" error, is there any way i could log on to it probably
    by using a certain software ??

    Any advice appreciated
    Chris H, Oct 23, 2003
  11. Chris H

    Harrison Guest

    Here's a thought.
    You can use Knoppix, a bootable self-contained Linux CD, to access the
    files. It will read the NTFS partition, and it comes with a cd burner,
    so you could possibly copy your files to CD.

    www.linuxiso.org

    Harrison, Oct 23, 2003
  12. Chris H

    Chris H Guest

    "Harrison" <> wrote in message
    | Here's a thought.
    | You can use Knoppix, a bootable self-contained Linux CD, to access
    the
    | files. It will read the NTFS partition, and it comes with a cd
    burner,
    | so you could possibly copy your files to CD.
    |
    | www.linuxiso.org

    Thanks for the suggestion, i will try that once i get ADSL , still am
    on a damned dialup :((.
    Chris H, Oct 23, 2003
  13. Chris H

    Harrison Guest

    My condolences.

    Harrison, Oct 23, 2003
  14. Chris H

    Chris H Guest

    Thx :-/

    "Harrison" <> wrote in message
    | My condolences.
    |
    | On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 19:50:40 +0100, "Chris H" <>
    | wrote:
    |

    | >"Harrison" <> wrote in message
    | >| Here's a thought.
    | >| You can use Knoppix, a bootable self-contained Linux CD, to
    access
    | >the
    | >| files. It will read the NTFS partition, and it comes with a cd
    | >burner,
    | >| so you could possibly copy your files to CD.
    | >|

    Chris H, Oct 23, 2003
  15. Chris H

    Shep© Guest

    On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 15:23:31 +0100, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
    invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Chris H" <>
    wrote :

    >Hi,
    >
    >problem: unable to boot up, i can't boot up with the boot cd as well
    >
    >on C drive i have Windows XP Home installed.When i try to start up It
    >says the system registry might be damaged or corupted....and that the
    >Active Control Set Key is missing ...how can i restore it? please help
    >Pentim 4
    >512ddr
    >40gb
    >
    >TIA
    >Chris H

    Usually a sign of bad RAM.If you have two sticks try each separately
    in each slot if the system is not under warranty.
    HTH

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    It's a G not a J in gmx for email
    Shep©, Oct 23, 2003
  16. Chris H

    Harrison Guest

    Here's a good memory tester.
    Runs from bootable floppy.
    http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

    Harrison, Oct 23, 2003
  17. Chris H

    Shep© Guest

    On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 17:01:54 -0400, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
    invention that lemmings jump off cliffs Harrison
    <> wrote :

    >Here's a good memory tester.
    >Runs from bootable floppy.
    >http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

    I'm afraid I've found software RAM testers little or no use especially
    the time it takes to run them :/
    They sometimes indicate a problem but it's much quicker if the user
    has two sticks to try each separately in different slots.
    Windows itself is quick to test faulty RAM by giving bad registry
    calls in my experience as the registry is loaded pretty early in the
    boot sequence.

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    It's a G not a J in gmx for email
    Shep©, Oct 23, 2003
  18. Chris H

    Plato Guest

    Shep© wrote:

    > Windows itself is quick to test faulty RAM by giving bad registry
    > calls in my experience as the registry is loaded pretty early in the
    > boot sequence.

    aka the ol' "windows protection error" message on bootup.
    Plato, Oct 24, 2003