Unable to Boot HP Pavilion Laptop - Suggestions for Recovering Boot Partition, MBR, MFT??

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Dakota1775, Aug 28, 2007.

  1. Dakota1775

    Dakota1775 Guest

    I'm new to this group, so if I make a "noob" mistake, please excuse
    me.

    I have an Unable to Boot HP Pavilion laptop, less than one year old,
    running WinXP.

    I have been running Diskeeper on it for a while now without problems.

    Recently I ran a defrag on boot, including the Pagefile, etc...

    After this the computer would go to boot up and running thru about
    20-30 things it hangs on the on of the ".sys" files for a few seconds
    then reboots. It does this again and again till I shut it down.

    I've tried my original "recovery disks" that were made from the
    recovery partition that HP puts on their laptops and these have some
    kind of flaw in them and refuse to work. My recovery partition is
    still accessible so I'm going to start working on making new recovery
    disks via DOS - its somewhere on HPs website.

    My external backup image of the C: drive are also showing as corrupt.
    Yes, after researching this problem I now know to test my backups
    after I make them!

    I've mounted the problem drive in a USB external case and put in a
    spare drive and reloaded windows but I'd like to try to recover the
    original back to a working state as I have programs and data on there.

    The problem drive shows up in the "Logical Disk Manager" and shows up
    as an unformated "raw" drive with 100% free space. (I can post
    screenshots if that helps.)

    I believe there is a problem with the MBR or the MFT but I'm just
    guessing.

    I've tried to mount the drive with the free version of "Find and
    Mount" and it shows the drive but does not mount or gives back an
    error message - something about being it corrupted - if I recall
    correctly. (I'm not sure this tool is all that helpful.

    I'm hoping for suggestions on:

    -- A good program for file recovery,

    -- A good program for making repairs to the MBR / MFT,

    -- various methods to attempt to recover the drive to a bootable state
    or recover the contents/data.

    Thanks!

    Dakota1775, Aug 28, 2007

  2. Dakota1775

    meerkat Guest

    "Dakota1775" <> wrote in message
    > I'm new to this group, so if I make a "noob" mistake, please excuse
    > me.
    >
    > I have an Unable to Boot HP Pavilion laptop, less than one year old,
    > running WinXP.

    Snipped

    Have you tried starting up in `Safe Mode` ?.
    Which key ?. I don`t know you`ll have to check in your
    manual.

    meerkat, Aug 28, 2007

  3. Dakota1775

    Toast Guest

    Dakota1775 <> wrote in

    > I have an Unable to Boot HP Pavilion laptop, less than one year
    > old, running WinXP.
    >
    > I have been running Diskeeper on it for a while now without
    > problems.
    >
    > Recently I ran a defrag on boot, including the Pagefile, etc...
    >
    > After this the computer would go to boot up and running thru about
    > 20-30 things it hangs on the on of the ".sys" files for a few
    > seconds then reboots. It does this again and again till I shut it
    > down.

    I’ve heard of nasty problems being caused by Diskeeper’s boot-time
    defrag but have never encountered one myself. You’ve drawn the short
    straw.

    It’s a shame you are not getting any other clues like error messages
    to work with.

    Have you tried running Diskeeper on the HDD again when slaved to
    another computer? This worked for me recently when a Diskeeper boot-
    time defrag caused the MFT to increase in size such that it occupied
    about 25% of a 10 GB bootable partition. When I ran the boot-time
    defrag again it fixed the problem that it had initially created.

    > I've tried my original "recovery disks" that were made from the
    > recovery partition that HP puts on their laptops and these have
    > some kind of flaw in them and refuse to work. My recovery
    > partition is still accessible so I'm going to start working on
    > making new recovery disks via DOS - its somewhere on HPs website.
    >
    > My external backup image of the C: drive are also showing as
    > corrupt. Yes, after researching this problem I now know to test my
    > backups after I make them!

    What a rotten time to be let down!

    What imaging software are you using? I’ve heard of problems restoring
    system images made with Acronis True Image even when the image has
    been validated by ATI. Evidently these are commonly reported in the
    Acronis forums.

    I’ve previously used Ghost 2003 and it seemed OK but it was never put
    to the acid test. Nowadays I’m using Terabyte Unlimited imaging tools
    (Image for Windows/DOS/Linux and BING) and have found them to be very
    reliable.

    > I've mounted the problem drive in a USB external case and put in a
    > spare drive and reloaded windows but I'd like to try to recover
    > the original back to a working state as I have programs and data
    > on there.
    >
    > The problem drive shows up in the "Logical Disk Manager" and shows
    > up as an unformated "raw" drive with 100% free space. (I can post
    > screenshots if that helps.)
    >
    > I believe there is a problem with the MBR or the MFT but I'm just
    > guessing.

    [snip]
    > I'm hoping for suggestions on:
    >
    > -- A good program for file recovery,

    I recently went through a data recovery drama on behalf of a friend
    whose HDD failed. I tried to recover bad sectors with SpinRite but do
    not necessarily recommend it. If the drive is failing the stress SR
    applies can use up the last chances you have to recover data. (If
    you’d like to try it out then have a look for Hiren’s Boot CD, which
    includes SR and a lot of other good stuff.)

    In terms of data recovery I had good results with GetDataBack (full
    working version also included on Hirens Boot CD). This can be used to
    image the raw data from the bad HDD to a second HDD. GDB can somehow
    reconstruct the MFT to enable your data to be recovered. (It won’t
    repair the MFT, not as far as I know.)

    Restorer2000 http://www.restorer2000.com/ was also highly recommended
    but I didn’t get to try it.

    > -- A good program for making repairs to the MBR / MFT,

    Sorry, can’t help you there.

    You might try running fixmbr (I think that’s the name) from the XP
    Recovery Console. Chkdsk might also be worth a try.

    > -- various methods to attempt to recover the drive to a bootable
    > state or recover the contents/data.

    A repair install of XP sounds might help but you might not get very
    far with that if the MBR and MFT have been corrupted. If you can’t
    get those fixed somehow you would appear to be staring down the
    barrel of a format and reinstall. I wouldn’t want to be in your
    shoes!

    David

    Toast, Aug 29, 2007