Unable to boot from Windows Server 2003 x64 DVD

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Orgbrat, Dec 10, 2005.

  1. Orgbrat

    Orgbrat Guest

    Hi folks,
    I am having problems with my Windows Server 2003 x64 DVD booting and I
    was curious if anyone had an answer.

    I started with a 250GB disc and installed Windows XP Pro (x86) from the DVD
    with no problem. Just inserted DVD and booted computer, XP gave me an
    install menu and I installed. I partitioned the 250 GB drive into two
    halves (one for x32 and one for x64 later). Installed XP x32 on C: drive
    primary partition and then formatted the second partition ( D: drive ) as
    another primary partition. XP x32 runs and works fine. I now want to install
    Windows Server 2003 x64 on the D: drive, so I inserted the Server x64 DVD
    and restarted expecting to get the message on boot to "Hit any key to boot
    from CD", but I did not receive this message. The machine just boots into
    XP. I have rechecked my device boot order to make sure that the order was
    DVD, Floppy, Hard Drive and the Network. All is set correctly. I can insert
    a bootable Win98 floppy, then restart and the machine boots from the floppy.
    I thought maybe it was my Windows Server 2003 x64 disc so I tried to get the
    system to boot from the XP x32 disc again and it will not do that either
    now. So what am I missing? Has anyone had this problem trying to load a
    dual-boot system? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks...

    Steve Graddy MCP, MCAD.Net
    Orgbrat Consulting

    Orgbrat, Dec 10, 2005

  2. Orgbrat

    John Barnes Guest

    You didn't say if the drive is able to read anything now. Maybe your drive
    has failed in some way.
    When you are booted to x86 can you read the files and have you run a CD disk
    check to see if the drive is reading properly?

    John Barnes, Dec 10, 2005

  3. Had the same problem when using Tiny Software's firewall. You might check to
    see if your firewall, if present, is blocking the DVD. Otherwise take John's
    advice.

    =?Utf-8?B?SmFja00=?=, Dec 11, 2005
  4. Orgbrat

    Orgbrat Guest

    Drive is working fine. I have installed software to the WinXP x86 all day
    today with no problem. I t will just not boot from Windows OS disc.

    Orgbrat, Dec 11, 2005
  5. Burn it to CD-ROM instead of DVD and try again.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Dec 11, 2005
  6. Orgbrat

    Orgbrat Guest

    Hi Andre,
    You were absolutely correct. I was trying to boot from my MSDN OS disc.
    They do supply me with a disc of ISO images.
    I burned the image to a CD-RW then inserted into the machine and rebooted.
    The machine booted to the CD with no problem
    I have read your posts before and they are of great help in many unusual
    situations. Thanks for the help. It is much appreciated.

    Steve Graddy MCP, MCAD.Net
    Orgbrat Consulting

    Orgbrat, Dec 11, 2005
  7. Glad you got it working Orgbrat and I am happy you find my posts helpful,
    thank you. There also some great folks who help out here too, John, Charlie,
    Colin, Darrell, Rick, Bobby and many more, they deserve kudos for their time
    and effort to help others have great experience on x64.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Dec 12, 2005