Unable to Access Wireless Hard Drive (LinkStation) Files

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by DJ, Jul 15, 2008.

  1. DJ

    DJ Guest

    I have been using a Buffalo LinkStation Pro LS-250GL High Speed NAS Wireless
    External Hard Drive and all of a sudden I can't network with it. It has
    worked fine for over a year on my primary XP (SP2) laptop, and 2 other
    laptops I own (both XP SP2) have no problem accessing the hard drive and its
    files.

    Now - although I can access the hardware through its web interface and can
    log in and change settings, it won't let me access files.

    I have been in contact with BuffaloTech support as well as Symantec/Norton
    and both insist that something changed in Windows to cause access problems. I
    have disabled and re-enabled Norton Antivirus and uninstalled and
    re-installed the Buffalo LinkStation software and updated their firmware to
    no avail.

    I haven't used the external drive for a month, maybe 2 months, and I doubt I
    could rollback far enough to a system restore point to see if that would
    solve the issue.

    Is there any other way to see what could be causing this issue?

    DJ, Jul 15, 2008

  2. DJ

    smlunatick Guest

    On Jul 15, 4:51 am, DJ <> wrote:
    > I have been using a Buffalo LinkStation Pro LS-250GL High Speed NAS Wireless
    > External Hard Drive and all of a sudden I can't network with it.  It has
    > worked fine for over a year on my primary XP (SP2) laptop, and 2 other
    > laptops I own (both XP SP2) have no problem accessing the hard drive and its
    > files.
    >
    > Now - although I can access the hardware through its web interface and can
    > log in and change settings, it won't let me access files.
    >
    > I have been in contact with BuffaloTech support as well as Symantec/Norton
    > and both insist that something changed in Windows to cause access problems. I
    > have disabled and re-enabled Norton Antivirus and uninstalled and
    > re-installed the Buffalo LinkStation software and updated their firmware to
    > no avail.
    >
    > I haven't used the external drive for a month, maybe 2 months, and I doubt I
    > could rollback far enough to a system restore point to see if that would
    > solve the issue.
    >
    > Is there any other way to see what could be causing this issue?

    Problem is usually with a "known" setting with Norton Antivirus. By
    default, Norton blocks all NetBIOS name resolution requests. You need
    to access the Internet Worm monitoring rules and tell Norton AV to
    allow NetBIOS name resolution correctly for your "home" network IP
    addresses.

    Also, I recently encountered on my Norton 360 firewall that my
    wireless network SSID is automatically "blocked" until I told 360 to
    "trust" the SSID.

    smlunatick, Jul 16, 2008