Unable to Access PDM (PIX 501)

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Christian M. Mericle, Apr 7, 2005.

  1. I am trying to modify settings but am unable to open the PDM (3.0).

    In my browser, I navigate to the firewall's IP address. Here's what I
    get and how I respond:

    Security Alert (Certificate issed by company you have not
    chose to trust / Name on security certificate does not match name of
    the site). -- I click Yes to proceed.

    User name/Password pop-up. -- Leaving both blank (I have not
    assigned a password), I click OK.

    At this point the PDM pop-up window opens followed by Warning
    - HTTPS window (Hostname mismatch). -- I click Yes to proceed.

    Password Needed - Networking box appears (It's title bar has
    the Java logo instead of the IE logo.) -- Since I've never assigned a
    password, I click Yes and it closes. (I don't remember getting this
    one in the past but maybe I just wasn't paying attention.)

    Now, I have the browser Window for the PDM and it displays, "Loading
    PIX Device Manager. Please wait..." But, at the bottom of the window
    is this text, "exception: java.security.AccessControlException: access
    denied. It remains that way until I close it.

    Any thoughts. Obviously I need to remedy this problem as soon as
    possible so any help is greatly appreciated.

    Thanks!

    -- Christian M. Mericle
    Technology Coordinator
    Eastern Plains Head Start
    Tucumcari, NM, USA

    Save Darfur -- http://www.savedarfur.org/
    World Vision (Darfur) -- http://donate.wvus.org/OA_HTML/xxwvibeCCtpItmDspRte.jsp?section=10025&item=1072182
    ICC (Sudan) -- http://www.persecution.org/Countries/sudan.html

    Christian M. Mericle, Apr 7, 2005

  2. Christian M. Mericle

    Dumbkid Guest

    Try assigning an enable password to the PIX, and login to PDM with username
    blank, and enable password as the password when prompted.

    Your pix should have a hostname and domain name setup. You can put a host
    entry on your hosts file with pix ip address, that should get rid of the
    certificate warnings.

    Tom

    Dumbkid, Apr 8, 2005

  3. Christian M. Mericle

    Guest

    I'm getting the same problem on my home PC, but it's fine on my work
    machine. This suggests it's a machine config issue rather than the
    pix. I've tried with java 5 and the MS VM on IE and Firefox, but no
    joy. As my work machine is XP SP1 and my home one is SP2, I do wonder
    if it's a security thing. I did try adding the pix IP into Trusted
    Sites zone but it didn't make any difference.

    Also added an enable password, but again no difference.

    , Apr 9, 2005
  4. Christian M. Mericle

    Nakeva Guest

    Glad to help with this one after going through 3 days of
    troubleshooting! I had just upgrades IE from 5 to 6 with all patches
    and updates. Then I did some work on the PIX and regenerated th rsa
    keys. When I went to refresh in the PDM and restart it it would hang
    while loading the config. I found out that the IE 6 upgrade does not
    have the java version needed to comply with the PIX/PDM.

    I had an issue in with Cisco and this is what we did:
    === from his email to me ===
    Please uncheck the JAVA 2 or JAVA 1.5 (for applet) box under the
    tab in internet
    explorer and after closing all the browser windows open a new browser
    window
    and try to
    load pdm again.
    It should load now.

    Incase it doesn't loads then please install the jvm version 1.4.1 from
    the
    link

    http://java.sun.com/products/archive/j2se/1.4.1_07/index.html
    ====

    After this it worked as normal. Hope this helps.

    Nakeva, Apr 9, 2005
  5. Christian M. Mericle

    GlasWolf Guest

    Excellent, thanks Nakeva. I'd already been through Java 5 and 1.4.2.08
    without success, 1.4.1.07 has done the trick!

    GlasWolf, Apr 10, 2005
  6. Unchecking the Java box under the Advanced tab didn't help. So, I
    moved onto the next suggestion. When I uninstalled Java via the
    control panel, it automatically rolled back to the previous version. I
    tried accessing the PDM and it worked like a charm.

    Thanks for the help!

    -- Christian

    Christian M. Mericle, Apr 11, 2005
  7. Christian M. Mericle

    DCS Guest

    I've been having this issue as well. I'm a Firefox 1.0.2 user and just
    updated my Java from the www.java.com. Since then, I can't get the PDM
    to work on any of my PIXs. I don't see an option to roll back my Java
    version in Firefox. Any ideas from those you've experienced this?

    DCS, Apr 11, 2005
  8. On 11 Apr 2005 11:54:28 -0700, "DCS" <> wrote:

    >I've been having this issue as well. I'm a Firefox 1.0.2 user and just
    >updated my Java from the www.java.com. Since then, I can't get the PDM
    >to work on any of my PIXs. I don't see an option to roll back my Java
    >version in Firefox. Any ideas from those you've experienced this?

    I didn't rollback Java via the browser. I unistalled Java through the
    Control Panel and it automatically rolled it back to the previously
    installed version.

    If you try it and it totally uninstalls Java, just reinstall the older
    version by using the link given in a previous post.

    -- Christian

    Christian M. Mericle, Apr 12, 2005