Unable to access Internet via Wireless PCMCIA card?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Boaby, Dec 29, 2009.

  1. Boaby

    Boaby Guest

    Hello folks,

    I am puzzled to why I am no longer able to connect to the internet
    using a PCMCIA card? One day, the card just stop connecting to the
    router to get an IP address? I had never any issues with the card until
    now?

    The laptop's OS is Windows XP SP3. I have checked Windows updates for
    any updates for my laptop. No updates at the moment. I have also
    updated Belkin PCMCIA card to the latest drivers, still no avail. I
    have rebooted the laptop, reinserted card and uninstalled drivers for
    the card, reinstalled and it just simply refused to get an IP address
    from my router. I changed SSID's and router wifi password many times,
    the card can see the network and accepts the password but just cant
    seem to get an IP address?

    I even did a netsh winsock reset, netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt and
    netsh firewall reset via the command prompt. Still the same issue?
    Truly baffling? All other PC and Macintosh's can connect no problems to
    my router via open and encrypted wifi network. Just my single Toshiba
    satellite with a Belkin PCMCIA card cant seem to connect?

    I don't have my router set to a fixed ip address range. So, I am
    thinking to try a wifi USB stick. BINGO! I can now successfully connect
    to my router using an edimax usb wifi usb adapter. I thought maybe the
    Belkin PCMCIA adapter is a dud? I then got another 3 PCMCIA (Linksys,
    Buffalo & 3com) PCMCIA wifi cards and they are doing exactly the same
    thing as the Belkin?

    So for now, I have the wifi edimax usb adapter connected to my Toshiba
    satellite laptop and connected to the net with no problems but I just
    cant understand why would the 4 PCMCIA cards cant connect to the router
    to get an IP address. I checked for static IP on my laptop and is
    confirmed to set to obtain an IP automatically.

    Sorry for the long post. Hope I have made my point nice and clear.
    Anyone with any ideas can shed any light on this problem?

    Thanks,
    Boaby
    Boaby, Dec 29, 2009

  2. Boaby

    chuckcar Guest

    Boaby <> wrote in

    > Hello folks,
    >
    > I am puzzled to why I am no longer able to connect to the internet
    > using a PCMCIA card? One day, the card just stop connecting to the
    > router to get an IP address? I had never any issues with the card
    > until now?
    >
    > The laptop's OS is Windows XP SP3. I have checked Windows updates for
    > any updates for my laptop. No updates at the moment. I have also
    > updated Belkin PCMCIA card to the latest drivers, still no avail. I
    > have rebooted the laptop, reinserted card and uninstalled drivers for
    > the card, reinstalled and it just simply refused to get an IP address
    > from my router. I changed SSID's and router wifi password many times,
    > the card can see the network and accepts the password but just cant
    > seem to get an IP address?

    Did you update the drivers or the firmware for the card?

    > I even did a netsh winsock reset, netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt and
    > netsh firewall reset via the command prompt. Still the same issue?
    > Truly baffling? All other PC and Macintosh's can connect no problems
    > to my router via open and encrypted wifi network. Just my single
    > Toshiba satellite with a Belkin PCMCIA card cant seem to connect?

    Did you try a ping or a tracert?

    > I don't have my router set to a fixed ip address range. So, I am
    > thinking to try a wifi USB stick. BINGO! I can now successfully
    > connect to my router using an edimax usb wifi usb adapter. I thought
    > maybe the Belkin PCMCIA adapter is a dud? I then got another 3 PCMCIA
    > (Linksys, Buffalo & 3com) PCMCIA wifi cards and they are doing exactly
    > the same thing as the Belkin?
    >
    > So for now, I have the wifi edimax usb adapter connected to my Toshiba
    > satellite laptop and connected to the net with no problems but I just
    > cant understand why would the 4 PCMCIA cards cant connect to the
    > router to get an IP address. I checked for static IP on my laptop and
    > is confirmed to set to obtain an IP automatically.
    >
    > Sorry for the long post. Hope I have made my point nice and clear.
    > Anyone with any ideas can shed any light on this problem?

    We *far* prefer them to ones like: "I get error message 0xcff04a7f how
    do I fix it?"

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Dec 29, 2009

  3. Boaby

    §nühw¤£f Guest

    Boaby wrote:
    > Hello folks,
    >
    > I am puzzled to why I am no longer able to connect to the internet using
    > a PCMCIA card? One day, the card just stop connecting to the router to
    > get an IP address? I had never any issues with the card until now?
    >
    > The laptop's OS is Windows XP SP3. I have checked Windows updates for
    > any updates for my laptop. No updates at the moment. I have also updated
    > Belkin PCMCIA card to the latest drivers, still no avail. I have
    > rebooted the laptop, reinserted card and uninstalled drivers for the
    > card, reinstalled and it just simply refused to get an IP address from
    > my router. I changed SSID's and router wifi password many times, the
    > card can see the network and accepts the password but just cant seem to
    > get an IP address?
    >
    > I even did a netsh winsock reset, netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt and
    > netsh firewall reset via the command prompt. Still the same issue? Truly
    > baffling? All other PC and Macintosh's can connect no problems to my
    > router via open and encrypted wifi network. Just my single Toshiba
    > satellite with a Belkin PCMCIA card cant seem to connect?
    >
    > I don't have my router set to a fixed ip address range. So, I am
    > thinking to try a wifi USB stick. BINGO! I can now successfully connect
    > to my router using an edimax usb wifi usb adapter. I thought maybe the
    > Belkin PCMCIA adapter is a dud? I then got another 3 PCMCIA (Linksys,
    > Buffalo & 3com) PCMCIA wifi cards and they are doing exactly the same
    > thing as the Belkin?
    >
    > So for now, I have the wifi edimax usb adapter connected to my Toshiba
    > satellite laptop and connected to the net with no problems but I just
    > cant understand why would the 4 PCMCIA cards cant connect to the router
    > to get an IP address. I checked for static IP on my laptop and is
    > confirmed to set to obtain an IP automatically.
    >
    > Sorry for the long post. Hope I have made my point nice and clear.
    > Anyone with any ideas can shed any light on this problem?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Boaby

    Sounds fun. In Control Panel>Hardware>Devices is there any yellow
    exclamation marks next to any device?

    --
    http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2009/12/22-10
    §nühw¤£f, Dec 29, 2009
  4. Boaby

    chuckcar Guest

    Evan Platt <> wrote in

    > On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 23:22:07 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Did you try a ping or a tracert?>

    > *sigh*
    >
    > "it just simply refused to get an IP address"
    >
    > No IP. What's he going to ping or traceroute?

    Anything. To get the error message and/or negative results. You *will*
    get some output.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Dec 30, 2009
  5. Boaby

    Boaby Guest

    On 2009-12-30 03:32:25 +0000, Evan Platt
    <> said:

    > On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 18:14:52 +0000, Boaby <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hello folks,
    >>
    >> I am puzzled to why I am no longer able to connect to the internet
    >> using a PCMCIA card? One day, the card just stop connecting to the
    >> router to get an IP address? I had never any issues with the card until
    >> now?
    >>
    >> The laptop's OS is Windows XP SP3. I have checked Windows updates for
    >> any updates for my laptop. No updates at the moment. I have also
    >> updated Belkin PCMCIA card to the latest drivers, still no avail. I
    >> have rebooted the laptop, reinserted card and uninstalled drivers for
    >> the card, reinstalled and it just simply refused to get an IP address
    >> from my router. I changed SSID's and router wifi password many times,
    >> the card can see the network and accepts the password but just cant
    >> seem to get an IP address?
    >>
    >> I even did a netsh winsock reset, netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt and
    >> netsh firewall reset via the command prompt. Still the same issue?
    >> Truly baffling? All other PC and Macintosh's can connect no problems to
    >> my router via open and encrypted wifi network. Just my single Toshiba
    >> satellite with a Belkin PCMCIA card cant seem to connect?
    >>
    >> I don't have my router set to a fixed ip address range. So, I am
    >> thinking to try a wifi USB stick. BINGO! I can now successfully connect
    >> to my router using an edimax usb wifi usb adapter. I thought maybe the
    >> Belkin PCMCIA adapter is a dud? I then got another 3 PCMCIA (Linksys,
    >> Buffalo & 3com) PCMCIA wifi cards and they are doing exactly the same
    >> thing as the Belkin?
    >>
    >> So for now, I have the wifi edimax usb adapter connected to my Toshiba
    >> satellite laptop and connected to the net with no problems but I just
    >> cant understand why would the 4 PCMCIA cards cant connect to the router
    >> to get an IP address. I checked for static IP on my laptop and is
    >> confirmed to set to obtain an IP automatically.
    >>
    >> Sorry for the long post. Hope I have made my point nice and clear.
    >> Anyone with any ideas can shed any light on this problem?

    > Does your laptop have more than one PCMCIA slot? Have you tried the
    > other slots?
    >
    > Have you tried another PCMCIA device in the laptop?

    Hello folks,

    Thank you for some suggestions and feedback.

    I have checked all 4 PCMCIA wifi cards are showing ok in device
    manager. No yellow or red cross on the icon. The device status shows
    all 4 devices are working properly. All 4 PCMCIA cards can see the
    wireless network and authenticate the network key but an IP address
    cant be assigned on all 4 PCMCIA cards but if I use a wireless USB
    dongle instead, no problems, Windows XP gets the IP address from my
    router fine.

    My Toshiba laptop only has one PCMCIA cardbus slot. The only other
    devices I have tried on my laptop's PCMCIA slot is 4 PCMCIA wireless
    cards. Are you suggesting that I should try using an ethernet port
    PCMCIA card adapter?

    If all else fails, then I might going to back all data on the laptop
    and try a reformat.

    Any other ideas?

    Thanks,

    Boaby
    Boaby, Dec 30, 2009
  6. Boaby

    §nühw¤£f Guest

    Boaby wrote:
> [...]

    >> Have you tried another PCMCIA device in the laptop?

    > Hello folks,
    >
    > Thank you for some suggestions and feedback.
    >
    > I have checked all 4 PCMCIA wifi cards are showing ok in device manager.
    > No yellow or red cross on the icon. The device status shows all 4
    > devices are working properly. All 4 PCMCIA cards can see the wireless
    > network and authenticate the network key but an IP address cant be
    > assigned on all 4 PCMCIA cards but if I use a wireless USB dongle
    > instead, no problems, Windows XP gets the IP address from my router fine.
    >
    > My Toshiba laptop only has one PCMCIA cardbus slot. The only other
    > devices I have tried on my laptop's PCMCIA slot is 4 PCMCIA wireless
    > cards. Are you suggesting that I should try using an ethernet port
    > PCMCIA card adapter?
    >
    > If all else fails, then I might going to back all data on the laptop and

    Use DHCP, much?
    READ!
    http://www.velocityreviews.com/foru...less-networks-is-kb313896-still-an-issue.html

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313896

    HTH
    HAND

    ^_^

    --
    http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2009/12/22-10
    §nühw¤£f, Dec 30, 2009
  7. Boaby

    Boaby Guest

    On 2009-12-30 21:05:56 +0000, §nühw¤£f <> said:

    > Boaby wrote:
    >> On 2009-12-30 03:32:25 +0000, Evan Platt
    >> <> said:

    >>> Does your laptop have more than one PCMCIA slot? Have you tried the
    >>> other slots?
    >>>
    >>> Have you tried another PCMCIA device in the laptop?

    >> Hello folks,
    >>
    >> Thank you for some suggestions and feedback.
    >>
    >> I have checked all 4 PCMCIA wifi cards are showing ok in device
    >> manager. No yellow or red cross on the icon. The device status shows
    >> all 4 devices are working properly. All 4 PCMCIA cards can see the
    >> wireless network and authenticate the network key but an IP address
    >> cant be assigned on all 4 PCMCIA cards but if I use a wireless USB
    >> dongle instead, no problems, Windows XP gets the IP address from my
    >> router fine.
    >>
    >> My Toshiba laptop only has one PCMCIA cardbus slot. The only other
    >> devices I have tried on my laptop's PCMCIA slot is 4 PCMCIA wireless
    >> cards. Are you suggesting that I should try using an ethernet port
    >> PCMCIA card adapter?
    >>
    >> If all else fails, then I might going to back all data on the laptop
    >> and try a reformat.
    >>
    >> Any other ideas?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Boaby
    >>

    > Use DHCP, much?
    > READ!
    > http://www.velocityreviews.com/foru...less-networks-is-kb313896-still-an-issue.html

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313896

    HTH
    HAND

    ^_^

    Hi

    folks,

    Thanks for the suggestion and ideas folks, but I am thinking of just
    bite the bullet and just use the wireless usb dongle than using the
    PCMCIA wireless cards to connect to my home wireless network.

    Last resort for me was to take the affected laptop to different
    wireless access point and it still doing the same symptoms as it was
    with my home internet connection. That is using all four PCMCIA
    wireless cardbus cards? But, put the wireless usb dongle, the internet
    is working no problems on the affected laptop.

    I think I just use the usb dongle to connect to my home wireless
    internet and back up all current data on the affected laptop and try a
    hard drive format.

    Thanks for the advice from the previous posters that have given me some
    suggestions to try but I think this DHCP problem seem to be a lost
    cause?

    Thanks,

    Boaby
    Boaby, Jan 5, 2010