Unable to access extensions menu or add extensions (I've tried past suggestions)

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by nospam@spam.com, Nov 30, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Hi,

    Before you snicker and think to yourself, "why doesn't this person
    read past posts?"- let me explain something:

    I have tried everything already suggested. I have:

    1. Clicked under tools/options/web features "allow sites to install
    software"

    2. Tried downloading the adblock extension and dragging it onto a
    Firefox page.

    3. Tried dragging the file into the Firefox extensions folder.

    The bottom line is I cannot even access my Extensions options from the
    tools menu- it just gives me the hourglass icon then gives up.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    Cheers,

    cedre
    , Nov 30, 2005

  2. gwtc Guest

    Re: Unable to access extensions menu or add extensions (I've triedpast suggestions)

    wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Before you snicker and think to yourself, "why doesn't this person
    > read past posts?"- let me explain something:
    >
    > I have tried everything already suggested. I have:
    >
    > 1. Clicked under tools/options/web features "allow sites to install
    > software"
    >
    > 2. Tried downloading the adblock extension and dragging it onto a
    > Firefox page.
    >
    > 3. Tried dragging the file into the Firefox extensions folder.
    >
    > The bottom line is I cannot even access my Extensions options from the
    > tools menu- it just gives me the hourglass icon then gives up.
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > cedre

    which version of FF are you using? 1.0.7 or 1.5
    gwtc, Nov 30, 2005

  3. Guest

    Sorry, V.1.07

  4. gwtc Guest

    wrote:

    > Sorry, V.1.07
    >
    > On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 23:17:45 -0800, gwtc
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>Before you snicker and think to yourself, "why doesn't this person
    >>>read past posts?"- let me explain something:
    >>>
    >>>I have tried everything already suggested. I have:
    >>>
    >>>1. Clicked under tools/options/web features "allow sites to install
    >>>software"
    >>>
    >>>2. Tried downloading the adblock extension and dragging it onto a
    >>>Firefox page.
    >>>
    >>>3. Tried dragging the file into the Firefox extensions folder.
    >>>
    >>>The bottom line is I cannot even access my Extensions options from the
    >>>tools menu- it just gives me the hourglass icon then gives up.
    >>>
    >>>Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    >>>
    >>>Cheers,
    >>>
    >>>cedre

    >>which version of FF are you using? 1.0.7 or 1.5

    Take a look at the "allow websites to install . . . " and click on the
    "Allowed Sites" button. What have you got there that might be
    blocking? Also, if you downloaded the extension to your hard-drive,
    what happens if you click on File, Open and find the extension? Does
    it install that way?
    gwtc, Nov 30, 2005
  5. Guest

    Under allowed websites, I have the various mozilla sites, including
    the specific page for the adblock download.

    When I download the file it self and try to install it from the
    desktop, I choose the appropriate program to run it (Firefox) and then
    sit in vain and watch the same hourglass symbol not get anywhere.

    Perhaps I should do a complete uninstall/install as I also lost the
    bottom 1/2 of my bookmarks recently for no reason I can discover.

    On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 09:30:28 -0800, gwtc
    <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> Sorry, V.1.07
    >>
    >> On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 23:17:45 -0800, gwtc
    >> <> wrote:

    >>>which version of FF are you using? 1.0.7 or 1.5

    >Take a look at the "allow websites to install . . . " and click on the
    >"Allowed Sites" button. What have you got there that might be
    >blocking? Also, if you downloaded the extension to your hard-drive,
    >what happens if you click on File, Open and find the extension? Does
    >it install that way?
    , Nov 30, 2005
  6. gwtc Guest

    wrote:

    > Under allowed websites, I have the various mozilla sites, including
    > the specific page for the adblock download.
    >
    > When I download the file it self and try to install it from the
    > desktop, I choose the appropriate program to run it (Firefox) and then
    > sit in vain and watch the same hourglass symbol not get anywhere.
    >
    > Perhaps I should do a complete uninstall/install as I also lost the
    > bottom 1/2 of my bookmarks recently for no reason I can discover.
    >
    > On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 09:30:28 -0800, gwtc
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Sorry, V.1.07

    >>Take a look at the "allow websites to install . . . " and click on the
    >>"Allowed Sites" button. What have you got there that might be
    >>blocking? Also, if you downloaded the extension to your hard-drive,
    >>what happens if you click on File, Open and find the extension? Does
    >>it install that way?

    I don't think uninstalling and reinstalling will solve the problem.
    The problem might be somewhere within your profile. Your profile is
    where all your bookmarks, settings, etc are stored.

    Create a test profile and see if the problem occurs there. Close FF,
    click on Start, Run, and enter exactly:

    firefox.exe -p

    this will bring up the profile manager and from there you can create a
    test profile.
    gwtc, Nov 30, 2005
  7. Guest

    OK, this is really strange- I only get my usual homepage when the run
    firefox.exe -p

    There are no profile options or anything different. Perhaps I have a
    corrupt file or extension somewhere?

    , Nov 30, 2005
  8. gwtc Guest

    wrote:

    > OK, this is really strange- I only get my usual homepage when the run
    > firefox.exe -p
    >
    > There are no profile options or anything different. Perhaps I have a
    > corrupt file or extension somewhere?
    >
    > On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 09:51:23 -0800, gwtc
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Under allowed websites, I have the various mozilla sites, including
    >>>the specific page for the adblock download.
    >>>
    >>>When I download the file it self and try to install it from the
    >>>desktop, I choose the appropriate program to run it (Firefox) and then
    >>>sit in vain and watch the same hourglass symbol not get anywhere.
    >>>
    >>>Perhaps I should do a complete uninstall/install as I also lost the
    >>>bottom 1/2 of my bookmarks recently for no reason I can discover.

    >>I don't think uninstalling and reinstalling will solve the problem.
    >>The problem might be somewhere within your profile. Your profile is
    >>where all your bookmarks, settings, etc are stored.
    >>
    >>Create a test profile and see if the problem occurs there. Close FF,
    >>click on Start, Run, and enter exactly:
    >>
    >>firefox.exe -p
    >>
    >>this will bring up the profile manager and from there you can create a
    >>test profile.

    When you run the profile manager, did you close FF first?
    gwtc, Nov 30, 2005
  9. Guest

    Yes, I closed down FF first and still nothing. UNTIL I just gave up
    and installed Ver.1.5 over 1.07 and everything works fine now.

    Thanks for all your help, I'm sure it would have solved 99% of the
    problems everyone else would have had. I can now make profiles and
    open my extensions options.

    Cheers,

    cedre

    On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 15:17:19 -0800, gwtc

    >firefox.exe -p
    , Dec 1, 2005