    have?
    Many thanks for any help
    James

    Jambo, Sep 23, 2005

  2. Jambo

    Gormless Guest

    "Jambo" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi all
    > Accidentally took some pics on my Sony phone with the Solarize feature
    > left on. Is there a program i can use to reverse this on the pics i
    > have?
    > Many thanks for any help
    > James

    I think the words pics and phone have no legal right to appear in the same
    sentence.

    It saddens me to see the number of people at probably important events (to
    them, anyway) poking a 1MP (if they're lucky) mobile phone in the general
    direction of the action.

    I shudder to imagine what sort of pictorial travesty this so-called
    'solarize' feature produces, but I greatly doubt it's reversible.
    Solarisation (forgive my British, and correct, spelling) is a process of
    removal, and you can't put back what you simply don't know was removed. Eg,
    was it blue or was it red?

    (I suspect that even if the solarise feature was set to off you wouldn't get
    any useable pictures from the device. But that's just a sad and deluded old
    16+ MP real camera user speaking)

    Gormless, Sep 23, 2005

  3. Jambo

    salgud Guest

    Gormless wrote:
    > "Jambo" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi all
    > > Accidentally took some pics on my Sony phone with the Solarize feature
    > > left on. Is there a program i can use to reverse this on the pics i
    > > have?
    > > Many thanks for any help
    > > James
    > >

    > I think the words pics and phone have no legal right to appear in the same
    > sentence.
    >
    > It saddens me to see the number of people at probably important events (to
    > them, anyway) poking a 1MP (if they're lucky) mobile phone in the general
    > direction of the action.
    >
    > I shudder to imagine what sort of pictorial travesty this so-called
    > 'solarize' feature produces, but I greatly doubt it's reversible.
    > Solarisation (forgive my British, and correct, spelling) is a process of
    > removal, and you can't put back what you simply don't know was removed. Eg,
    > was it blue or was it red?
    >
    > (I suspect that even if the solarise feature was set to off you wouldn't get
    > any useable pictures from the device. But that's just a sad and deluded old
    > 16+ MP real camera user speaking)

    I think camera phones are great! I don't own one, don't need a cell
    phone at the moment, but I've used them enough to know what a handy
    thing they can be. I used to sell cell phones. I had one client who was
    a buyer who travelled all over the country, looking for specific items
    her company needed that were often hard to find. In the past, when she
    located an item that looked promising, she'd have to get the specs on
    the item, the get to a fax machine, send them to the office, and wait
    for a yes or no. She wanted the phone camera so she could just snap a
    pic, send it back, and get her reply in minutes. I also sold them to
    real estate agents, people in the car buying and selling business,
    import/export business and other businesses where a quick, simple, low
    resolution image was more than adequate.
    If I had a choice, I wouldn't take one to a major event, but if I was
    at a major event without a real camera, I'd be very happy I had a
    camera phone. Like most things, including expensive DSLR's, they have
    their uses. It's knowing the capabilities and limitations of the device
    that make them useful. Lack of that understanding can certainly render
    them useless!

    salgud, Sep 23, 2005
  4. Jambo

    Jambo Guest

    Well the phone is the new Sony 2mega pixel one and takes great photos.
    Its so much better than taking too devices aroiund with you.
    Guess on the subject of the Solarize part then I stuck with the pics in
    that mode. Oh well live and learn so next time i will check what mode
    its in before i take them.

    Jambo, Sep 23, 2005
  5. Jambo

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On 23 Sep 2005 10:17:05 -0700, in rec.photo.digital "Jambo"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi all
    >Accidentally took some pics on my Sony phone with the Solarize feature
    >left on. Is there a program i can use to reverse this on the pics i
    >have?

    Better to post the pic somewhere to see if anyone can help.
    ----------
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at

    Ed Ruf, Sep 23, 2005
  6. Ed
    It's very doubtful that you can undo the solarization from the image, but
    there may be a way to salvage a reasonable photograph. Try this

    Open the photograph and convert it to grey scale. Then convert the grey
    scale image to a negative [in Photoshop that would be image>adjust>invert]
    Finally use levels to adjust the tonal range to your satisfaction. You'll
    end up with a reasonable grey scale image---not great, but not a total loss.

    Bernie

    Bernard Saper, Sep 23, 2005
  7. Jambo

    PcB Guest

    <<I think the words pics and phone have no legal right to appear in the same
    sentence.>>

    I disagree. Certainly, the "image quality" from a 1MP digital camera will
    not be as good as, er, anything else <g> but that isn't the point - at this
    level, photography is about capturing the moment, not pursuing infinite
    sharpness and technical detail. Do you use a large format or 35mm? Film or
    digital? Given a choice of "no camera" or my 3MP compact I would take the
    compact. The camera on my phone is dire but I would still choose that over
    "no camera".

    For me, the most honest photographs are snapshots - true, they aren't the
    same "images" as I try and create but they certainly capture the moment.

    And check out Reichhold Arts - all (allegedly) taken on a cameraphone - at
    http://www.reichholdarts.com/

    And no, I don't know how to un-solarise anything <g>.

    --
    Paul ============}
    o o

    // Live fast, die old //
    PaulsPages and Galleries are at
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pcbradley/NewGallery.htm

    PcB, Sep 23, 2005
  8. Jambo

    Guest

    On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 19:05:45 +0100, "Gormless" <>
    wrote:

    >"Jambo" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi all
    >> Accidentally took some pics on my Sony phone with the Solarize feature
    >> left on. Is there a program i can use to reverse this on the pics i
    >> have?
    >> Many thanks for any help
    >> James
    >>

    >I think the words pics and phone have no legal right to appear in the same
    >sentence.
    >
    >It saddens me to see the number of people at probably important events (to
    >them, anyway) poking a 1MP (if they're lucky) mobile phone in the general
    >direction of the action.
    >
    >I shudder to imagine what sort of pictorial travesty this so-called
    >'solarize' feature produces, but I greatly doubt it's reversible.
    >Solarisation (forgive my British, and correct, spelling)

    Yet another self-important, though insecute brit pig.

    And no, you're unforgiveable, jerk.

    > is a process of
    >removal, and you can't put back what you simply don't know was removed. Eg,
    >was it blue or was it red?
    >
    >(I suspect that even if the solarise feature was set to off you wouldn't get
    >any useable pictures from the device. But that's just a sad and deluded old
    >16+ MP real camera user speaking)

    , Sep 23, 2005
  9. Jambo

    Justin Thyme Guest

    "Gormless" <> wrote in message

    > "Jambo" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi all
    >> Accidentally took some pics on my Sony phone with the Solarize feature
    >> left on. Is there a program i can use to reverse this on the pics i
    >> have?
    >> Many thanks for any help
    >> James
    >>

    > I think the words pics and phone have no legal right to appear in the same
    > sentence.
    >
    > It saddens me to see the number of people at probably important events (to
    > them, anyway) poking a 1MP (if they're lucky) mobile phone in the general
    > direction of the action.

    Some of the new Sony's are 2MP and produce quite a respectable image. On
    par, or maybe even better, than a disposable film camera.
    Having said that though - the best camera is the camera you have with you.
    While I'd like to take my full SLR kit with me everywhere I go, sometimes
    it's not practical. Sometimes it's not even practical to take a compact
    digicam. Or sometimes I won't have a camera on me because I didn't
    anticipate needing it. I almost always have my mobile phone with me (with
    it's disgusting 0.1MP image quality), and I have on occasions used my mobile
    to take a picture of something that I otherwise wouldn't have had a picture
    of at all. Even a bad picture is better than none at all.

    Justin Thyme, Sep 23, 2005
  10. Jambo

    nailer Guest

    load into photoshop and try to reverse using curves.
    unless you know the exact alghoritm, it would be almost impossible.

    nailer, Sep 24, 2005