    I have been given one of these without power supply or software. Can anyone
    tell me what voltage it operates on and is the connector centre positive?
    Also is there a site where I can download driver software?

    John, Apr 18, 2004

  2. "John" <> wrote in message
    news:dZqgc.18$...
    > I have been given one of these without power supply or software. Can

    anyone
    > tell me what voltage it operates on and is the connector centre positive?
    > Also is there a site where I can download driver software?

    http://www.umax.co.uk/support/default.htm
    for drivers. I would have thought 9 volts would be enough.

    Gaz

    Gareth not NLL or anybody else., Apr 18, 2004

  3. John wrote:

    > I have been given one of these without power supply or software. Can anyone
    > tell me what voltage it operates on and is the connector centre positive?
    > Also is there a site where I can download driver software?

    Take a cheap analogue multimeter and put it on the low ohms setting.
    Connect it across the socket one way, then the other (this won't hurt
    the thing).

    This MAY happen:

    With one connection, the meter will go to zero ohms (or pretty close)
    and then drop back a bit.

    With the other connection, the meter will go to zero ohms (or pretty
    close) and stay there.

    If it does, you can be fairly happy that, with the first test, the
    battery in the meter charged the internal capacitors in the unit and
    then the current and hence the meter reading dropped back a little as
    the capacitors became charged. With the second test, the capacitors
    weren't charging as they were reverse biased and so the meter stayed
    high - or there is a reverse voltage protection diode in the unit.

    So, if this is the case, you have a pretty good idea which way to
    connect the external power source. The way you had the leads when the
    meter DIDN'T DROP BACK. I know this sounds crazy, but, because of the
    way that analogue meters work, they produce a -ive voltage on the red
    lead when used as an ohm meter.

    As to the voltage, their should be a label on the unit saying the
    voltage. If not, and you really have to get it going, start low and
    work up. A too low voltage could overload an internal switching
    regulator but this is pretty rare.

    If the meter movement isn't clearly different between the two
    connections, the only alternative is to open the case and trace the
    pins to the nearest polarised capacitor or diode.

    Obviously, all the above is only to be used as a last ditch measure -
    when you really, really do need to power the thing up, like, now.

    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, Apr 18, 2004
  4. John

    Millimeter Guest

    Millimeter, Apr 18, 2004