    Does anyone know how I can get this scanner to work under Windows 98 SE?
    There does not appear to be a driver available on the Umax web-site and I
    have tried the 95 driver which doesn't help.
    zigi, Sep 27, 2003

  2. zigi

    Juan Pérez Guest

    Hi, zigi,
    Someone at this site claims to have good results using this 95nt beta
    with their 98 and state they think it may work with other 98 versions
    (se).
    <http://www.scanner-drivers.com/drivers/73/73166.htm>

    You could visit other UMAX driver sites here as well.
    <http://tinyurl.com/ougp>
    Good luck!
    --
    Juan

    Juan Pérez, Sep 27, 2003

  3. zigi

    zigi Guest

    Thanks Juan, that was the driver I have already installed. The Umax site
    does not offer any support for Win 98 at all and e-mailing them has brought
    no reply. When I say I couldn't get it to work, ...not quite true. It does
    "work" but doesn't scan properly. Everything comes out greenish, even when
    I try to change the colour mix nothing scans at the right colours. The
    scanner is a good one and worked very well under Win 98, then my friend got
    a virus and I could only get the computer to work using Win98SE. Now I am
    battling with the scanner. I have trawled the web for ages, even other
    message boards and newsgroups, with no luck. My friend is really broke at
    the moment and keeps wanting me to try to get the Umax to work, even though
    I can get a new scanner for him under $100 that has a higher DPI~~

    I haven't the heart to try to reinstall everything using Win 98, as I had no
    luck first time around and have spent WAY too much of my time on his
    computer.

    Nice to still see you in this newsgroup! I didn't think I would get a reply
    from a familiar "voice"...thanks!~!

    zigi, Sep 27, 2003
  4. zigi

    Juan Pérez Guest

    Sorry it didn't work for you, even though I'm not surprised. I used a
    UMAX scanner on 95 for years but the head won't move when trying it on
    98se. So, it's now down to buying another scanner or to keep on keeping
    on. Nice to see you nipping back in (when you do).

    Juan Pérez, Sep 28, 2003