Um, ok...ballot, or joke?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mara, Jul 30, 2007.

  1. Rôgêr wrote:
    > Mara wrote:

    >> Another thing that amazes me is that you understood exactly what I was talking
    >> about when no one else that I saw did. Was I unclear, or are people trying to
    >> make this into something it isn't?

    > No, I just have moments of lucidity. No telling when they'll happen.

    When you sense one, could you put "[lucid]" in the Subject header so
    it's obvious that the post is exceptional? :)

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 30, 2007

  2. Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Rôgêr wrote:
    >> Mara wrote:

    >>> Another thing that amazes me is that you understood exactly what I was talking
    >>> about when no one else that I saw did. Was I unclear, or are people trying to
    >>> make this into something it isn't?

    >> No, I just have moments of lucidity. No telling when they'll happen.

    > When you sense one, could you put "[lucid]" in the Subject header so
    > it's obvious that the post is exceptional? :)

    :p

    --
    Whaddya think, SgtMinor? Was that sufficient?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 30, 2007

  3. Mara

    Mara Guest

    On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 17:25:12 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:

    >Mara wrote:

    >>> No, it's never immaterial. Even if you talk about it, you have the right
    >>> to vote your conscience on the day of election. And there shouldn't be
    >>> anyone breathing down your neck when you vote.

    >> Exactly so. If your name, address, and VR number is on the envelope you use to
    >> send the ballot in, there's no need whatsoever to have your VR number
    >> hand-written on the ballot itself - unless someone wants to snoop.
    >>
    >> I've asked a few other people at work this morning if their ballots were marked
    >> too. It will be interesting to see the results. I'm also wondering if maybe I
    >> shouldn't ask the state AG about this. This thing just stinks.

    Turns out another person at $orkplace had her number written on her ballot too.
    I don't know if anyone outside work has yet.

    I did e-mail the AG about this.

    >> Another thing that amazes me is that you understood exactly what I was talking
    >> about when no one else that I saw did. Was I unclear, or are people trying to
    >> make this into something it isn't?

    >No, I just have moments of lucidity. No telling when they'll happen.

    Stop that immediately. As you well know moments of lucidity are not allowed in
    24HSHD.

    --
    Og thought there was such thing as "evolution". How all these stupid
    people still alive? Og boggle.

    Mara, Jul 31, 2007
  4. Mara wrote:
    > Stop that immediately. As you well know moments of lucidity are not allowed in
    > 24HSHD.

    The last presidential race was the first time my area used touch-screen
    computers for voting instead of the old "pull-the-lever" machines. I
    knew most of the polling officials there, so after a while of standing
    at the computer, I started whacking it on the side of the monitor. One
    of them asked what's going on. I said "What the hell does 'ALL DATA HAS
    BEEN DELETED' mean?" You should have seen the color drain from his face.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 31, 2007
  5. Mara

    Mara Guest

    On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 20:59:46 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:

    >Mara wrote:
    >> Stop that immediately. As you well know moments of lucidity are not allowed in
    >> 24HSHD.

    >The last presidential race was the first time my area used touch-screen
    >computers for voting instead of the old "pull-the-lever" machines. I
    >knew most of the polling officials there, so after a while of standing
    >at the computer, I started whacking it on the side of the monitor. One
    >of them asked what's going on. I said "What the hell does 'ALL DATA HAS
    >BEEN DELETED' mean?" You should have seen the color drain from his face.

    LOL I don't know why he'd get upset. The things are easy enough to hack.

    The last time I voted was in a regular voting booth. Of course we don't use
    computers here, but it's just as well. I'd be surprised if anyone could even
    turn them on. Come to think of it, that's probably why they don't use them -
    they probably think there's no chance for "influencing" the vote.

    Mitch thinks I'm a cynic. Perhaps I am, but not about this - I'm being
    realistic. I was born and raised here, and know the issue, know the issue
    *behind* this issue, and know the people. If there's a way for people to turn
    this into a big scandal that will drag on for decades, they'll find it.

    JHC.

    Mara, Jul 31, 2007
  6. Mara

    olfart Guest

    "Mara" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 20:59:46 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:
    >
    > Mitch thinks I'm a cynic. Perhaps I am, but not about this - I'm being
    > realistic. I was born and raised here, and know the issue, know the issue
    > *behind* this issue, and know the people. If there's a way for people to
    > turn
    > this into a big scandal that will drag on for decades, they'll find it.

    Back in the 1960's I lived in a small village in VA pop about 200.
    The polling place was in the home of 2 elderly sisters. You went into their
    dining room on on the table were 2 cardboard boxes one was state, the other
    local election. The boxes had the tops folded closed, but they weren't
    sealed shut.. Bet they knew the winners long before the election ended.

    olfart, Jul 31, 2007
  7. Mara

    Mara Guest

    On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 08:24:55 -0400, "olfart" <> wrote:

    >"Mara" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 20:59:46 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:
    >>
    >> Mitch thinks I'm a cynic. Perhaps I am, but not about this - I'm being
    >> realistic. I was born and raised here, and know the issue, know the issue
    >> *behind* this issue, and know the people. If there's a way for people to
    >> turn
    >> this into a big scandal that will drag on for decades, they'll find it.
    >>

    >Back in the 1960's I lived in a small village in VA pop about 200.
    >The polling place was in the home of 2 elderly sisters. You went into their
    >dining room on on the table were 2 cardboard boxes one was state, the other
    >local election. The boxes had the tops folded closed, but they weren't
    >sealed shut.. Bet they knew the winners long before the election ended.

    I'll bet they did too. But would they use that information against other
    townspeople and try to make a huge issue of it, and keep the original issue
    alive for years? Even today there's a huge "us against them" mentality in this
    town. Ever since I moved back here both sides have tried to get me involved and
    to take sides, which I refuse to do. Seems to me that writing the voter
    registration number directly on the ballots would be an excellent way to try to
    force the issue, and I'm not playing that game.

    I refuse to vote at all until I've heard from the AG.

    Mara, Jul 31, 2007
  8. "Mara" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 20:59:46 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:
    >
    >>Mara wrote:
    >>> Stop that immediately. As you well know moments of lucidity are not
    >>> allowed in
    >>> 24HSHD.

    >>The last presidential race was the first time my area used touch-screen
    >>computers for voting instead of the old "pull-the-lever" machines. I
    >>knew most of the polling officials there, so after a while of standing
    >>at the computer, I started whacking it on the side of the monitor. One
    >>of them asked what's going on. I said "What the hell does 'ALL DATA HAS
    >>BEEN DELETED' mean?" You should have seen the color drain from his face.

    > LOL I don't know why he'd get upset. The things are easy enough to hack.

    Now Mara, you are out of touch with reality here. This is a favorite myth
    in the United States. The machines being used here for the most part #1 are
    impossible to hack into, and number 2 there would be no reason to hack into
    the original machines. The Collecting machines (which take the information
    and collate several machines at once thus giving totals for a particular
    area would depend on a large number of people committing treason (and yes,
    they sign forms stating that they would be charged with treason) in order to
    have any problems with the vote. My voting area has used the machines for
    this century and have never had a single issue that was the result of the
    system breaking down. I have worked for the county in several elections and
    the technical aspects have been completely limited to things like machines
    power cords not providing power, paper jams, etc. So time has proven the
    system works.

    > The last time I voted was in a regular voting booth. Of course we don't
    > use
    > computers here, but it's just as well. I'd be surprised if anyone could
    > even
    > turn them on. Come to think of it, that's probably why they don't use
    > them -
    > they probably think there's no chance for "influencing" the vote.
    >
    > Mitch thinks I'm a cynic. Perhaps I am, but not about this - I'm being
    > realistic. I was born and raised here, and know the issue, know the issue
    > *behind* this issue, and know the people. If there's a way for people to
    > turn
    > this into a big scandal that will drag on for decades, they'll find it.
    >
    > JHC.

    JHC?

    --
    Brian J. Whiting

    Brian Whiting, Jul 31, 2007
  9. It was on, or about, Tue, 31 Jul 2007 09:43:55 -0400, that as I was
    halfway through a large jam doughnut, Brian Whiting wrote:

    > "Mara" <> wrote in message

    >>>The last presidential race was the first time my area used touch-screen
    >>>computers for voting instead of the old "pull-the-lever" machines. I
    >>>knew most of the polling officials there, so after a while of standing
    >>>at the computer, I started whacking it on the side of the monitor. One
    >>>of them asked what's going on. I said "What the hell does 'ALL DATA HAS
    >>>BEEN DELETED' mean?" You should have seen the color drain from his
    >>>face.

    >> LOL I don't know why he'd get upset. The things are easy enough to
    >> hack.

    > Now Mara, you are out of touch with reality here. This is a favorite
    > myth in the United States.

    Oh, this is a myth then:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/08/01/diebold_hack/

    And perhaps this is too:
    http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/06/diebold-voting-machine-hacked-in-four-
    minutes-flat/

    And this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZws98jw67g

    > The machines being used here for the most
    > part #1 are impossible to hack into, and number 2 there would be no
    > reason to hack into the original machines. The Collecting machines
    > (which take the information and collate several machines at once thus
    > giving totals for a particular area would depend on a large number of
    > people committing treason (and yes, they sign forms stating that they
    > would be charged with treason) in order to have any problems with the
    > vote. My voting area has used the machines for this century and have
    > never had a single issue that was the result of the system breaking
    > down. I have worked for the county in several elections and the
    > technical aspects have been completely limited to things like machines
    > power cords not providing power, paper jams, etc. So time has proven
    > the system works.

    You sound like a sales rep for Diebold.

    >> The last time I voted was in a regular voting booth. Of course we don't
    >> use
    >> computers here, but it's just as well. I'd be surprised if anyone could
    >> even
    >> turn them on. Come to think of it, that's probably why they don't use
    >> them -
    >> they probably think there's no chance for "influencing" the vote.
    >>
    >> Mitch thinks I'm a cynic. Perhaps I am, but not about this - I'm being
    >> realistic. I was born and raised here, and know the issue, know the
    >> issue *behind* this issue, and know the people. If there's a way for
    >> people to turn
    >> this into a big scandal that will drag on for decades, they'll find it.
    >>
    >> JHC.

    > JHC?

    Jesus H Christ.

    --
    The universe exploded out of nothingness 14 billion years ago.
    14 billion years later, & some of us have 100 trillion

    William Poaster, Jul 31, 2007
  10. It was on, or about, Tue, 31 Jul 2007 06:58:11 -0500, that as I was
    halfway through a large jam doughnut, Mara wrote:

    > On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 20:59:46 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:
    >
    >>Mara wrote:
    >>> Stop that immediately. As you well know moments of lucidity are not
    >>> allowed in 24HSHD.

    >>The last presidential race was the first time my area used touch-screen
    >>computers for voting instead of the old "pull-the-lever" machines. I
    >>knew most of the polling officials there, so after a while of standing
    >>at the computer, I started whacking it on the side of the monitor. One
    >>of them asked what's going on. I said "What the hell does 'ALL DATA HAS
    >>BEEN DELETED' mean?" You should have seen the color drain from his face.

    > LOL I don't know why he'd get upset. The things are easy enough to hack.

    Yup, there's plenty of proof that they can be cracked.
    More on cracking e-voting machines:-
    "California e-voting machines have more holes than Swiss cheese"
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/30/evoting_machine_review/

    William Poaster, Jul 31, 2007
  11. "William Poaster" <> wrote in message
    > It was on, or about, Tue, 31 Jul 2007 09:43:55 -0400, that as I was
    > halfway through a large jam doughnut, Brian Whiting wrote:
    >
    >> "Mara" <> wrote in message

    >>> LOL I don't know why he'd get upset. The things are easy enough to
    >>> hack.

    >> Now Mara, you are out of touch with reality here. This is a favorite
    >> myth in the United States.

    > Oh, this is a myth then:
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/08/01/diebold_hack/
    >
    > And perhaps this is too:
    > http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/06/diebold-voting-machine-hacked-in-four-
    > minutes-flat/
    >
    > And this:
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZws98jw67g
    >

    >> The machines being used here for the most
    >> part #1 are impossible to hack into, and number 2 there would be no
    >> reason to hack into the original machines. The Collecting machines
    >> (which take the information and collate several machines at once thus
    >> giving totals for a particular area would depend on a large number of
    >> people committing treason (and yes, they sign forms stating that they
    >> would be charged with treason) in order to have any problems with the
    >> vote. My voting area has used the machines for this century and have
    >> never had a single issue that was the result of the system breaking
    >> down. I have worked for the county in several elections and the
    >> technical aspects have been completely limited to things like machines
    >> power cords not providing power, paper jams, etc. So time has proven
    >> the system works.

    > You sound like a sales rep for Diebold.

    I'm not (believe it or not), but I do have 24 years of experience in
    programming/systems analysis and software engineering. And I have worked
    with the elections for some time going through all the problems that they
    came up with. Pay attention to this one point. The machines only do their
    job. As long as the people who are responsible for their validity under
    penalty of treason do their job, then the system is safe and secure. Only
    when there is a massive conspiracy of treason would these problems affect
    the vote. And I believe that the people who are in charge of these aspects
    take their job and the security of the electoral process very seriously.

    >>> [snip]
    >>> JHC.

    >> JHC?

    > Jesus H Christ.

    Thank you.

    --
    Brian J. Whiting

    Brian Whiting, Jul 31, 2007
  12. Mara

    Mara Guest

    On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 18:46:05 +0100, William Poaster <> wrote:

    >It was on, or about, Tue, 31 Jul 2007 06:58:11 -0500, that as I was
    >halfway through a large jam doughnut, Mara wrote:

    >>>The last presidential race was the first time my area used touch-screen
    >>>computers for voting instead of the old "pull-the-lever" machines. I
    >>>knew most of the polling officials there, so after a while of standing
    >>>at the computer, I started whacking it on the side of the monitor. One
    >>>of them asked what's going on. I said "What the hell does 'ALL DATA HAS
    >>>BEEN DELETED' mean?" You should have seen the color drain from his face.

    >> LOL I don't know why he'd get upset. The things are easy enough to hack.

    >Yup, there's plenty of proof that they can be cracked.
    >More on cracking e-voting machines:-
    >"California e-voting machines have more holes than Swiss cheese"
    >http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/30/evoting_machine_review/

    I saw your other post. It sounds like Brian W. just may be from this town, as
    far out of touch with reality as he seems to be.

    Charging through life with blinders on is a pitiful thing to see.

    Mara, Jul 31, 2007
  13. It was on, or about, Tue, 31 Jul 2007 16:03:17 -0400, that as I was
    halfway through a large jam doughnut, Brian Whiting wrote:

    > I'm not (believe it or not), but I do have 24 years of experience in
    > programming/systems analysis and software engineering.

    Yet not got beyond using Microsoft Outlook Express. Even when I used to
    use windows, I soon dumped it for a better application.

    > And I have worked with the elections for some time going through all
    > the problems that they came up with. Pay attention to this one point.
    > The machines only do their job.

    Well you probably didn't read the links I posted.
    And you should pay attention to your own point:

    > As long as the people who are responsible for their
    > validity under penalty of treason do their job, then the system is safe
    > and secure.

    Note: "As long as.......>"

    > Only when there is a massive conspiracy of treason would these problems
    > affect the vote. And I believe that the people who are in charge of
    > these aspects take their job and the security of the electoral process
    > very seriously.

    Yes....like counting hanging chads etc. What a joke.

    I suppose you believe that all politicians are upright citizens, who
    never lie or cheat, & can't be bought too.

    I'm done here.

    William Poaster, Jul 31, 2007
  14. "William Poaster" <> wrote in message
    > It was on, or about, Tue, 31 Jul 2007 16:03:17 -0400, that as I was
    > halfway through a large jam doughnut, Brian Whiting wrote:
    >
    >> I'm not (believe it or not), but I do have 24 years of experience in
    >> programming/systems analysis and software engineering.

    > Yet not got beyond using Microsoft Outlook Express. Even when I used to
    > use windows, I soon dumped it for a better application.

    And the point is?? You can dislike OE but it works. That's all that
    matters to me. For something as simplistic as email I'm not going to use
    something that doesn't come with the machine. I see no reason to dump it
    when it works.

    >> And I have worked with the elections for some time going through all
    >> the problems that they came up with. Pay attention to this one point.
    >> The machines only do their job.

    > Well you probably didn't read the links I posted.
    > And you should pay attention to your own point:

    Yes I did, and I followed them when they first came out too. Obviously you
    didn't pay attention to the point.

    >> As long as the people who are responsible for their
    >> validity under penalty of treason do their job, then the system is safe
    >> and secure.

    > Note: "As long as.......>"

    As I stated I have come to know several of the people involved and they all
    take their responsibility very seriously. You prefer to think of them as
    anti-American, that's your prerogative. They aren't, like it or not.

    >> Only when there is a massive conspiracy of treason would these problems
    >> affect the vote. And I believe that the people who are in charge of
    >> these aspects take their job and the security of the electoral process
    >> very seriously.

    > Yes....like counting hanging chads etc. What a joke.

    HUNH??? The "hanging chads" is a reason to use machines in elections. Had
    Florida used the touchscreen throughout the state... well, let's just say
    we'd be living in a different world today and let the "F**king Bush does it
    again" topic handle the rest.

    > I suppose you believe that all politicians are upright citizens, who
    > never lie or cheat, & can't be bought too.

    Where did you get that BS from? Machines never cheat. Machines can't be
    bought. Where you get your analogies... Oh, I forgot. After the last
    paragraph, you decided to not make any sense.

    > I'm done here.

    Cya.

    --
    Brian J. Whiting

    Brian Whiting, Aug 1, 2007
  15. "Mara" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 18:46:05 +0100, William Poaster <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>It was on, or about, Tue, 31 Jul 2007 06:58:11 -0500, that as I was
    >>halfway through a large jam doughnut, Mara wrote:

    >>> LOL I don't know why he'd get upset. The things are easy enough to hack.

    >>Yup, there's plenty of proof that they can be cracked.
    >>More on cracking e-voting machines:-
    >>"California e-voting machines have more holes than Swiss cheese"
    >>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/30/evoting_machine_review/

    > I saw your other post. It sounds like Brian W. just may be from this town,
    > as
    > far out of touch with reality as he seems to be.
    >
    > Charging through life with blinders on is a pitiful thing to see.

    Well, Mara, I can assure you from reading your posts, I'm not. As I said
    originally, you're clearly in a different country, and implored you to
    explain what voting system you were involved with. You chose not to answer
    any of my concern for your original question. The United States doesn't
    have write-ins on ballot questions.

    On the contrary, I charge through life asking questions about everything,
    especially when what is fed to the mass public is contrary to my own
    experience. If that leaves you with the assessment that I'm out of touch
    with reality, that's a shame. You never decided to respond to my posts or
    get to know what I was saying. Now, which one of us is really involved with
    blinders?

    --
    Brian J. Whiting

    Brian Whiting, Aug 1, 2007
  16. Brian Whiting wrote:

    > You never decided to respond to my posts or
    > get to know what I was saying. Now, which one of us is really involved with
    > blinders?

    You keep asking the stupid question about which country she's in. It's
    the U.S. fucking of A. If you've read any of her posts about her
    volunteer work (she even posted a pic with the exact name of the nearby
    town) or her at $ork experiences, you wouldn't need to hound anyone
    about it. She said earlier in this thread she wrote to the state atty
    general about the issue, doesn't that give you any sort of hint?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Aug 1, 2007
  17. Rôgêr <> wrote

    > Brian Whiting wrote:
    >> You never decided to respond to my posts or get to know what I was
    >> saying. Now, which one of us is really involved with blinders?

    > You keep asking the stupid question about which country she's in. It's
    > the U.S. fucking of A. If you've read any of her posts about her
    > volunteer work (she even posted a pic with the exact name of the
    > nearby town) or her at $ork experiences, you wouldn't need to hound
    > anyone about it. She said earlier in this thread she wrote to the
    > state atty general about the issue, doesn't that give you any sort of
    > hint?

    I think he might be one of those "maroons" to which Bugs was referring.

    ;oþ

    @}-}-------Rosee, Aug 1, 2007
  18. "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > Brian Whiting wrote:
    >
    >> You never decided to respond to my posts or get to know what I was
    >> saying. Now, which one of us is really involved with blinders?

    > You keep asking the stupid question about which country she's in. It's the
    > U.S. fucking of A. If you've read any of her posts about her volunteer
    > work (she even posted a pic with the exact name of the nearby town) or her
    > at $ork experiences, you wouldn't need to hound anyone about it. She said
    > earlier in this thread she wrote to the state atty general about the
    > issue, doesn't that give you any sort of hint?

    Have you no conception of how varied the world is? Or even more so, how
    similar cultures are? I didn't get any part of this thread that mentioned
    volunteer work or pictures (I usually will not bother with attachments
    unless there's something appropriate associated with it. I also mentioned
    in my very first post about this, that in the "U.S fucking of A" we don't
    have mail-in ballots except the notion of absentee balloting. That is
    something she would have voluntarily applied for (again something she
    neither confirmed nor denied). Do you think that we developed the idea of
    an attorney general position? We didn't, nor do we have a monopoly on the
    title.

    Mara, if you are in the United States, I will tell you again. There is
    reason for your concern. Unless you have applied to vote absentee, there is
    no legal ballot that would be sent to you. Any election is one where voters
    show up themselves, and should require ID in order to receive a ballot.
    Please don't take offense that I don't recognize you from other threads.
    This newsgroup comes with so many, that I don't have time to do more than
    take a casual glance at issues that my expertise doesn't involve. In
    addition, in order to save time and space, when I first found out about this
    newsgroup, I had my machine automatically delete any item older than 14
    days, so if you have been a poster for a while, I had no way of knowing who
    you were.

    --
    Brian J. Whiting

    Brian Whiting, Aug 1, 2007
  19. Mara

    Mara Guest

    On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 12:30:26 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:

    <snip>
    >You keep asking the stupid question about which country she's in. It's
    >the U.S. fucking of A. If you've read any of her posts about her
    >volunteer work (she even posted a pic with the exact name of the nearby
    >town) or her at $ork experiences, you wouldn't need to hound anyone
    >about it. She said earlier in this thread she wrote to the state atty
    >general about the issue, doesn't that give you any sort of hint?

    You can lead a cluebie to knowledge but you can't make them think. Actually I
    never saw a single one of his posts - and am quite relaxed about it.

    Thanks. :)

    Mara, Aug 1, 2007
  20. Mara

    Mara Guest

    On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 15:30:51 -0500, "@}-}-------Rosee"
    <!!GigAntiCBoSomS!!@Nip..com> wrote:

    >Rôgêr <> wrote

    <snip>
    >> You keep asking the stupid question about which country she's in. It's
    >> the U.S. fucking of A. If you've read any of her posts about her
    >> volunteer work (she even posted a pic with the exact name of the
    >> nearby town) or her at $ork experiences, you wouldn't need to hound
    >> anyone about it. She said earlier in this thread she wrote to the
    >> state atty general about the issue, doesn't that give you any sort of
    >> hint?

    >I think he might be one of those "maroons" to which Bugs was referring.
    >
    >;oþ

    http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/idiot

    HTH

    Mara, Aug 1, 2007