    and cheaper, if it can be done.

    Thanks.

    Alan

    Alan Meyer, Feb 6, 2008

  2. Alan Meyer

    John Navas Guest

    On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 16:02:39 -0800 (PST), Alan Meyer <>
    wrote in
    <>:

    >Does anyone know if digital cameras have any sensitivity in
    >the ultraviolet or infrared ranges? Is there a way (not too
    >expensive I hope) to take photos beyond the visible light
    >range and bring this out in false human visible color in the
    >images?
    >
    >I'm especially interested in photographing flowers in
    >ultraviolet. Insects see in the ultraviolet range and flowers
    >often have markings that are visible to them that are not
    >visible to humans.
    >
    >I know could do this with film, but digital is so much simpler
    >and cheaper, if it can be done.

    Photographing Ultra-Violet Fluorescence with Digital Cameras
    <http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/waac/wn/wn23/wn23-2/wn23-205.html>

    Note that most digital cameras are much less sensitive to UV than to
    visible light and to infrared.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas

    John Navas, Feb 6, 2008

  3. Alan Meyer

    nospam Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Alan Meyer <> wrote:

    > Does anyone know if digital cameras have any sensitivity in
    > the ultraviolet or infrared ranges? Is there a way (not too
    > expensive I hope) to take photos beyond the visible light
    > range and bring this out in false human visible color in the
    > images?
    >
    > I'm especially interested in photographing flowers in
    > ultraviolet. Insects see in the ultraviolet range and flowers
    > often have markings that are visible to them that are not
    > visible to humans.

    most cameras have an infrared cutoff filter on the sensor, since
    otherwise it would cause problems with normal photography. older
    cameras tend to have weaker filters and are more suitable to infrared
    photography. even with the filter still in place, infrared photography
    is still possible, however, the exposures tend to be fairly long (1/2
    second in bright sunlight, for instance). you'll also want an infrared
    filter on the lens to cut out visible light, which for a dslr makes for
    interesting times. :) a company called lifepixel can remove the filter
    if you wish to dedicate the camera to infrared or sell you a kit if you
    want to do it yourself.

    <http://www.lifepixel.com/>
    <http://www.naturfotograf.com/UV_IR_rev00.html>

    nospam, Feb 6, 2008
  4. Alan Meyer

    <>:

    >Does anyone know if digital cameras have any sensitivity in
    >the ultraviolet or infrared ranges? Is there a way (not too
    >expensive I hope) to take photos beyond the visible light
    >range and bring this out in false human visible color in the
    >images?
    >
    >I'm especially interested in photographing flowers in
    >ultraviolet. Insects see in the ultraviolet range and flowers
    >often have markings that are visible to them that are not
    >visible to humans.
    >
    >I know could do this with film, but digital is so much simpler
    >and cheaper, if it can be done.

    Also:

    Photography in the Ultraviolet spectrum
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Photography-in-the-Ultraviolet-spectrum/

    A Secondary Approach to UltraViolet Photography
    http://www.instructables.com/id/A-Secondary-Approach-to-UltraViolet-Photography/

    John Navas, Feb 6, 2008
  5. Alan Meyer

    Alan Meyer Guest

    Re: Ultraviolet? Infrared?

    Thank you very much John and the unnamed gentleman.

    I should have done more research in Google before inquiring,
    but you found some stuff that I didn't.

    Alan

    Alan Meyer, Feb 6, 2008
  6. Alan Meyer

    Martin Brown Guest

    In message
    <>,
    Alan Meyer <> writes
    >Does anyone know if digital cameras have any sensitivity in
    >the ultraviolet or infrared ranges? Is there a way (not too
    >expensive I hope) to take photos beyond the visible light
    >range and bring this out in false human visible color in the
    >images?

    A few of them do although most are deliberately filtered to lose their
    intrinsic sensitivity to the near IR. They are less good at UV.

    >I'm especially interested in photographing flowers in
    >ultraviolet. Insects see in the ultraviolet range and flowers
    >often have markings that are visible to them that are not
    >visible to humans.
    >
    >I know could do this with film, but digital is so much simpler
    >and cheaper, if it can be done.

    Fuji announced a somewhat expensive digicam capable of doing UV or IR
    when combined with the right filters (which are also not cheap). eg

    http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1155139201.html

    Regards,
    --
    Martin Brown

    Martin Brown, Feb 6, 2008
  7. Re: Ultraviolet? Infrared?

    On Feb 5, 6:15 pm, John Navas <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 16:02:39 -0800 (PST), Alan Meyer <>
    > wrote in
    > <>:
    >
    > >Does anyone know if digital cameras have any sensitivity in
    > >the ultraviolet or infrared ranges? Is there a way (not too
    > >expensive I hope) to take photos beyond the visible light
    > >range and bring this out in false human visible color in the
    > >images?

    > >I'm especially interested in photographing flowers in
    > >ultraviolet. Insects see in the ultraviolet range and flowers
    > >often have markings that are visible to them that are not
    > >visible to humans.

    > >I know could do this with film, but digital is so much simpler
    > >and cheaper, if it can be done.

    > Photographing Ultra-Violet Fluorescence with Digital Cameras
    > <http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/waac/wn/wn23/wn23-2/wn23-205.html>
    >
    > Note that most digital cameras are much less sensitive to UV than to
    > visible light and to infrared.
    >
    > --
    > Best regards,
    > John Navas
    > Panasonic DMC-FZ8 (and several others)

    In addition to silicon not being as sensitive to UV as film, normal
    optical glass lenses filter out most of the UV. UV cameras have to
    have special lenses with glasses specifically designed to allow UV
    through.

    Don Stauffer in Minnesota, Feb 6, 2008