Ultra High Definition Video

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by The Plumply Perverse Pool Guy, Sep 29, 2003.

  1. Full story at: http://www.e4engineering.com/item.asp?id=50014&type=news/

    Teaser:

    Ultra High Definition Video

    Posted by CmdrTaco on Sunday September 28, @12:43PM
    from the now-thats-a-lot-of-pixels dept.

    mr.henry writes "Engineers at the Japanese Broadcasting Corporation (NHK)
    have developed a prototype ultra high definition video (UHDV) system. How
    good is it? When it was shown to the public, some viewers experienced nausea
    because of the ultra realistic visual effect of speed without the usual
    physical sensation of movement. 18 minutes of UHDV takes up 3.5 terabytes."
    4,000 horizontal scanlines. Excellent

    --
    TTFN
    Scott
    The Plumply Perverse Pool Guy, Sep 29, 2003

  2. The Plumply Perverse Pool Guy wrote:
    > Full story at: http://www.e4engineering.com/item.asp?id=50014&type=news/
    >
    > Teaser:
    >
    > Ultra High Definition Video
    >
    > Posted by CmdrTaco on Sunday September 28, @12:43PM
    > from the now-thats-a-lot-of-pixels dept.
    >
    > mr.henry writes "Engineers at the Japanese Broadcasting Corporation (NHK)
    > have developed a prototype ultra high definition video (UHDV) system. How
    > good is it? When it was shown to the public, some viewers experienced nausea
    > because of the ultra realistic visual effect of speed without the usual
    > physical sensation of movement. 18 minutes of UHDV takes up 3.5 terabytes."
    > 4,000 horizontal scanlines. Excellent

    This is old news actually, but when it was new news it was completely
    expected. Nobody thought video displays would stop at around 1,000
    scanlines, did they? The technical constraints against this technology
    make it something far on the horizon, not right around the corner, and
    ATSC is having a slow enough adoption phase as it is. Don't be worried
    and put off buying that 16:9 RPTV from Toshiba.

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor
    Grand Inquisitor, Sep 29, 2003

  3. The Plumply Perverse Pool Guy

    DarkMatter Guest

    On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 16:13:33 GMT, "The Plumply Perverse Pool Guy"
    <> Gave us:

    >Full story at: http://www.e4engineering.com/item.asp?id=50014&type=news/
    >
    >Teaser:
    >
    >Ultra High Definition Video
    >
    >Posted by CmdrTaco on Sunday September 28, @12:43PM
    >from the now-thats-a-lot-of-pixels dept.
    >
    >mr.henry writes "Engineers at the Japanese Broadcasting Corporation (NHK)
    >have developed a prototype ultra high definition video (UHDV) system. How
    >good is it? When it was shown to the public, some viewers experienced nausea
    >because of the ultra realistic visual effect of speed without the usual
    >physical sensation of movement. 18 minutes of UHDV takes up 3.5 terabytes."
    >4,000 horizontal scanlines. Excellent

    Which is why it will never make it into a consumer level product
    offering. DOH!
    DarkMatter, Sep 30, 2003
  4. "DarkMatter" <> wrote in message

    : Which is why it will never make it into a consumer level product
    : offering. DOH!

    I didn't think it would, at least for TV's. But very possibly for computer
    monitors.

    The Plumply Perverse Pool Guy, Sep 30, 2003
  5. The Plumply Perverse Pool Guy wrote:

    > "DarkMatter" <> wrote in message
    >
    > : Which is why it will never make it into a consumer level product
    > : offering. DOH!
    >
    > I didn't think it would, at least for TV's. But very possibly for computer
    > monitors.

    There are already computer monitors with over 9 million pixels. That's
    more than 1/4 way to UD:

    <http://www.viewsonic.com/products/lcd_vp2290b.htm>

    These have been available for years.

    Matthew

    --
    <http://www.mlmartin.com/bbq/>

    Thermodynamics For Dummies: You can't win.
    You can't break even.
    You can't get out of the game.
    Matthew L. Martin, Sep 30, 2003
  6. "Matthew L. Martin" <> wrote in message

    : There are already computer monitors with over 9 million pixels. That's
    : more than 1/4 way to UD:

    I didn't think about that. I should have known, though.

    The Plumply Perverse Pool Guy, Sep 30, 2003
  7. The Plumply Perverse Pool Guy

    DarkMatter Guest

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 16:34:31 GMT, "The Plumply Perverse Pool Guy"
    <> Gave us:

    >I didn't think it would, at least for TV's. But very possibly for computer
    >monitors.

    What part of the word "TERABYTE" do you not understand?

    It is a LONG way off, if it EVER gets implemented at anything other
    than industrial/commercial levels.

    Just basic common sense.

    There is a monitor made by IBM that has 19 million pixels.

    At it's highest refresh rate, it only operates at 24Hz (sound
    familiar?).

    You have a lot of learning to do before you'll figure out the whys
    and wherefores of the industry. You appear to think that all it takes
    is for someone to snap their fingers. You need to do some more
    reading on streaming data sources, and how they get implemented.
    DarkMatter, Oct 1, 2003
  8. The Plumply Perverse Pool Guy

    DarkMatter Guest

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 17:06:20 GMT, "Matthew L. Martin"
    <> Gave us:

    >There are already computer monitors with over 9 million pixels. That's
    >more than 1/4 way to UD:

    You are behind by a factor of two, Matty.

    IBM has a 19 million pixel monitor. 24Hz at max res. Guess who the
    target market is, and guess how many years you'd have to save to get
    one.
    DarkMatter, Oct 1, 2003
  9. The Plumply Perverse Pool Guy

    DarkMatter Guest

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 17:06:20 GMT, "Matthew L. Martin"
    <> Gave us:

    ><http://www.viewsonic.com/products/lcd_vp2290b.htm>
    >
    >These have been available for years.

    LCD is lame. Too slow on the persistence.
    DarkMatter, Oct 1, 2003
  10. The Plumply Perverse Pool Guy

    DarkMatter Guest

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 17:06:20 GMT, "Matthew L. Martin"
    <> Gave us:

    ><http://www.viewsonic.com/products/lcd_vp2290b.htm>
    >
    >These have been available for years.

    OLED puts them to shame.
    DarkMatter, Oct 1, 2003
  11. The Plumply Perverse Pool Guy

    DarkMatter Guest

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 18:22:00 GMT, "The Plumply Perverse Pool Guy"
    <> Gave us:

    >"Matthew L. Martin" <> wrote in message
    >
    >: There are already computer monitors with over 9 million pixels. That's
    >: more than 1/4 way to UD:
    >
    >I didn't think about that. I should have known, though.

    The best out there is more than twice that pixel count.
    DarkMatter, Oct 1, 2003
  12. >>I didn't think it would, at least for TV's. But very possibly for computer
    >>monitors.

    > What part of the word "TERABYTE" do you not understand?
    >
    > It is a LONG way off, if it EVER gets implemented at anything other
    >than industrial/commercial levels.
    >
    > Just basic common sense.

    What kind of monitors do companies like Pixar use?

    Remove "moc" to reply.

    Whoever says "Nothing is impossible" has never tried to slam a
    revolving door.
    - Willy Walker
    Sydney Assbasket, Oct 1, 2003