Ultra Fast Broadband WHY ?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by William Brown, Jun 14, 2012.

  1. Why do we need Ultra fast Broadband when we have such a poor Internet
    service here with very low caps..

    Like the Telescum flyer that was in the mail to day 30Gb + Phone Modem
    $95, when Telstra Clear is offering 40Gb + Phone Modem for $75
     
    William Brown, Jun 14, 2012
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. William Brown

    Donchano Guest

    On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 16:15:03 +1200, William Brown <>
    shouted from the highest rooftop:


    Crossposting WHY?

    >Why do we need Ultra fast Broadband when we have such a poor Internet
    >service here with very low caps..


    Nym-shifting. WHY?

    >Like the Telescum flyer that was in the mail to day 30Gb + Phone Modem
    >$95, when Telstra Clear is offering 40Gb + Phone Modem for $75


    Guess you didn't see the Telstra Clear fiasco on Fair Go last night.
    Their service is crap.
     
    Donchano, Jun 14, 2012
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 18:07:03 +1200, Donchano
    <> wrote:

    >
    >On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 16:15:03 +1200, William Brown <>
    >shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >
    >
    >Crossposting WHY?
    >
    >>Why do we need Ultra fast Broadband when we have such a poor Internet
    >>service here with very low caps..

    >
    >Nym-shifting. WHY?
    >
    >>Like the Telescum flyer that was in the mail to day 30Gb + Phone Modem
    >>$95, when Telstra Clear is offering 40Gb + Phone Modem for $75

    >
    >Guess you didn't see the Telstra Clear fiasco on Fair Go last night.
    >Their service is crap.




    But not for me..
     
    Frank Williams, Jun 14, 2012
    #3
  4. William Brown

    JohnO Guest

    On Jun 14, 4:15 pm, William Brown <> wrote:
    > Why do we need Ultra fast Broadband when we have such a poor Internet
    > service here with very low caps..
    >
    > Like the Telescum flyer that was in the mail to day 30Gb + Phone Modem
    > $95, when Telstra Clear is offering 40Gb + Phone Modem for $75


    Wakey wakey Woger. For $105 Telecom does $120Gb + phone (includes
    static IP). Another $20 raises it to 160Gb. That's about 80 HD movies
    a month.
     
    JohnO, Jun 14, 2012
    #4
  5. On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 01:00:06 -0700 (PDT), JohnO <>
    wrote:

    >On Jun 14, 4:15 pm, William Brown <> wrote:
    >> Why do we need Ultra fast Broadband when we have such a poor Internet
    >> service here with very low caps..
    >>
    >> Like the Telescum flyer that was in the mail to day 30Gb + Phone Modem
    >> $95, when Telstra Clear is offering 40Gb + Phone Modem for $75

    >
    >Wakey wakey Woger. For $105 Telecom does $120Gb + phone (includes
    >static IP). Another $20 raises it to 160Gb. That's about 80 HD movies
    >a month.




    That is about 3 times the price that is charged in France.

    No its not cheap when I read that Data caps in the US have been gut back
    to 250GB...

    You should open your Eyes and see what is going in the rest of the
    world.

    Its well known that ISP charges here are the highest in the World.
     
    Frank Williams, Jun 14, 2012
    #5
  6. "JohnO" wrote in message
    news:...

    >On Jun 14, 4:15 pm, William Brown <> wrote:
    >> Why do we need Ultra fast Broadband when we have such a poor Internet
    >> service here with very low caps..
    >>
    >> Like the Telescum flyer that was in the mail to day 30Gb + Phone Modem
    >> $95, when Telstra Clear is offering 40Gb + Phone Modem for $75


    >Wakey wakey Woger. For $105 Telecom does $120Gb + phone (includes
    >static IP). Another $20 raises it to 160Gb. That's about 80 HD movies
    >a month.


    For about the same each month snap does 250 gig + phone
     
    Robin Halligan, Jun 14, 2012
    #6
  7. William Brown

    JohnO Guest

    On Jun 14, 8:42 pm, Frank Williams <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 01:00:06 -0700 (PDT), JohnO <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >On Jun 14, 4:15 pm, William Brown <> wrote:
    > >> Why do we need Ultra fast Broadband when we have such a poor Internet
    > >> service here with very low caps..

    >
    > >> Like the Telescum flyer that was in the mail to day 30Gb + Phone Modem
    > >> $95, when Telstra Clear is offering 40Gb + Phone Modem for $75

    >
    > >Wakey wakey Woger. For $105 Telecom does $120Gb + phone (includes
    > >static IP). Another $20 raises it to 160Gb. That's about 80 HD movies
    > >a month.

    >
    > That is about 3 times the price that is charged in France.


    But what about the price of fish in Denmark, Woger?

    >
    > No its not cheap when I read that Data caps in the US have been gut back
    > to 250GB...
    >
    > You should open your Eyes and see what is going in the rest of the
    > world.


    Those countries don't have to suck *all* their data through a cable
    spanning the pacific ocean you silly old fool.

    >
    > Its well known that ISP charges here are the highest in the World.


    No, that's something that you just made up, Woger. In Fiji, for
    example, $120gb/month costs approx NZ$100 and that does *not* include
    the phone line.
     
    JohnO, Jun 14, 2012
    #7
  8. William Brown

    JohnO Guest

    On Jun 14, 9:52 pm, "Robin Halligan" <> wrote:
    > "JohnO"  wrote in message
    >
    > news:...
    >
    > >On Jun 14, 4:15 pm, William Brown <> wrote:
    > >> Why do we need Ultra fast Broadband when we have such a poor Internet
    > >> service here with very low caps..

    >
    > >> Like the Telescum flyer that was in the mail to day 30Gb + Phone Modem
    > >> $95, when Telstra Clear is offering 40Gb + Phone Modem for $75

    > >Wakey wakey Woger. For $105 Telecom does $120Gb + phone (includes
    > >static IP). Another $20 raises it to 160Gb. That's about 80 HD movies
    > >a month.

    >
    > For about the same each month snap does 250 gig + phone


    Yep. Data caps are going up as fast as LED tv prices are coming down.
    Woger is always several years behind the times.
     
    JohnO, Jun 14, 2012
    #8
  9. On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 14:24:41 -0700 (PDT), JohnO <>
    wrote:

    >On Jun 14, 8:42 pm, Frank Williams <> wrote:
    >> On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 01:00:06 -0700 (PDT), JohnO <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >On Jun 14, 4:15 pm, William Brown <> wrote:
    >> >> Why do we need Ultra fast Broadband when we have such a poor Internet
    >> >> service here with very low caps..

    >>
    >> >> Like the Telescum flyer that was in the mail to day 30Gb + Phone Modem
    >> >> $95, when Telstra Clear is offering 40Gb + Phone Modem for $75

    >>
    >> >Wakey wakey Woger. For $105 Telecom does $120Gb + phone (includes
    >> >static IP). Another $20 raises it to 160Gb. That's about 80 HD movies
    >> >a month.

    >>
    >> That is about 3 times the price that is charged in France.

    >
    >But what about the price of fish in Denmark, Woger?
    >
    >>
    >> No its not cheap when I read that Data caps in the US have been gut back
    >> to 250GB...
    >>
    >> You should open your Eyes and see what is going in the rest of the
    >> world.

    >
    >Those countries don't have to suck *all* their data through a cable
    >spanning the pacific ocean you silly old fool.



    Go listen to the Radio article that I posted the Top OECD chap states
    that this Cable and the high charges are totally CRAP, its just massive
    profit taking.

    >>
    >> Its well known that ISP charges here are the highest in the World.

    >
    >No, that's something that you just made up, Woger. In Fiji, for
    >example, $120gb/month costs approx NZ$100 and that does *not* include
    >the phone line.


    Go listen to the Radio article and say sorry, or may be get your head
    out of the sand.
     
    Frank Williams, Jun 15, 2012
    #9
  10. William Brown

    Katipo Guest


    > Why do we need Ultra fast Broadband when we have such a poor Internet
    > service here with very low caps..


    > Like the Telescum flyer that was in the mail to day 30Gb + Phone Modem
    > $95, when Telstra Clear is offering 40Gb + Phone Modem for $75


    Exactly what are people doing online to need that much capacity anyway?

    I am a web developer, but I still don't use anything like the 40Gb my
    telecom account was doubled to (at no extra cost) recently.
     
    Katipo, Jun 15, 2012
    #10
  11. On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 14:25:42 -0700 (PDT), JohnO <>
    wrote:

    >On Jun 14, 9:52 pm, "Robin Halligan" <> wrote:
    >> "JohnO"  wrote in message
    >>
    >> news:...
    >>
    >> >On Jun 14, 4:15 pm, William Brown <> wrote:
    >> >> Why do we need Ultra fast Broadband when we have such a poor Internet
    >> >> service here with very low caps..

    >>
    >> >> Like the Telescum flyer that was in the mail to day 30Gb + Phone Modem
    >> >> $95, when Telstra Clear is offering 40Gb + Phone Modem for $75
    >> >Wakey wakey Woger. For $105 Telecom does $120Gb + phone (includes
    >> >static IP). Another $20 raises it to 160Gb. That's about 80 HD movies
    >> >a month.

    >>
    >> For about the same each month snap does 250 gig + phone

    >
    >Yep. Data caps are going up as fast as LED tv prices are coming down.
    >Woger is always several years behind the times.




    Go read no they are not, unless you pay some $1xx price for it, so take
    you head out of the sand and remove those blinkers and see what is
    happening in the rest of the world..


    We have the dearest and slowest Internet service in the world..
     
    Frank Williams, Jun 15, 2012
    #11
  12. In article <>, Donchano <> wrote:
    (snip)

    >>Like the Telescum flyer that was in the mail to day 30Gb + Phone Modem
    >>$95, when Telstra Clear is offering 40Gb + Phone Modem for $75

    >
    >Guess you didn't see the Telstra Clear fiasco on Fair Go last night.
    >Their service is crap.


    :)

    I asked actrix a while back when they were going to come up with a plan
    similar to telstra's. I got a delayed reply (a couple of days later IIRC -
    unusual for them) saying something like 'we offer service'. :)
     
    Bruce Sinclair, Jun 15, 2012
    #12
  13. William Brown

    JohnO Guest

    On Jun 15, 11:24 am, Frank Williams <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 14:24:41 -0700 (PDT), JohnO <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > >On Jun 14, 8:42 pm, Frank Williams <> wrote:
    > >> On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 01:00:06 -0700 (PDT), JohnO <>
    > >> wrote:

    >
    > >> >On Jun 14, 4:15 pm, William Brown <> wrote:
    > >> >> Why do we need Ultra fast Broadband when we have such a poor Internet
    > >> >> service here with very low caps..

    >
    > >> >> Like the Telescum flyer that was in the mail to day 30Gb + Phone Modem
    > >> >> $95, when Telstra Clear is offering 40Gb + Phone Modem for $75

    >
    > >> >Wakey wakey Woger. For $105 Telecom does $120Gb + phone (includes
    > >> >static IP). Another $20 raises it to 160Gb. That's about 80 HD movies
    > >> >a month.

    >
    > >> That is about 3 times the price that is charged in France.

    >
    > >But what about the price of fish in Denmark, Woger?

    >
    > >> No its not cheap when I read that Data caps in the US have been gut back
    > >> to 250GB...

    >
    > >> You should open your Eyes and see what is going in the rest of the
    > >> world.

    >
    > >Those countries don't have to suck *all* their data through a cable
    > >spanning the pacific ocean you silly old fool.

    >
    > Go listen to the Radio article that I posted the Top OECD chap states
    > that this Cable and the high charges are totally CRAP, its just massive
    > profit taking.


    That article is several years out of date - just like you, Woger.

    >
    >
    >
    > >> Its well known that ISP charges here are the highest in the World.

    >
    > >No, that's something that you just made up, Woger. In Fiji, for
    > >example, $120gb/month costs approx NZ$100 and that does *not* include
    > >the phone line.

    >
    > Go listen to the Radio article and say sorry, or may be get your head
    > out of the sand.
     
    JohnO, Jun 15, 2012
    #13
  14. On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 19:14:01 -0500, Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot net
    dot nz> wrote:

    >Frank Williams <> wrote:
    >>On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 14:25:42 -0700 (PDT), JohnO <>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Jun 14, 9:52 pm, "Robin Halligan" <> wrote:
    >>>> "JohnO"  wrote in message
    >>>>
    >>>> news:...
    >>>>
    >>>> >On Jun 14, 4:15 pm, William Brown <> wrote:
    >>>> >> Why do we need Ultra fast Broadband when we have such a poor Internet
    >>>> >> service here with very low caps..
    >>>>
    >>>> >> Like the Telescum flyer that was in the mail to day 30Gb + Phone Modem
    >>>> >> $95, when Telstra Clear is offering 40Gb + Phone Modem for $75
    >>>> >Wakey wakey Woger. For $105 Telecom does $120Gb + phone (includes
    >>>> >static IP). Another $20 raises it to 160Gb. That's about 80 HD movies
    >>>> >a month.
    >>>>
    >>>> For about the same each month snap does 250 gig + phone
    >>>
    >>>Yep. Data caps are going up as fast as LED tv prices are coming down.
    >>>Woger is always several years behind the times.

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>Go read no they are not, unless you pay some $1xx price for it, so take
    >>you head out of the sand and remove those blinkers and see what is
    >>happening in the rest of the world..
    >>
    >>
    >>We have the dearest and slowest Internet service in the world..

    >
    >http://www.akamai.com/stateoftheinternet/?gclid=CK_7yPr3zrACFU1spAod2XExMw
    >
    >http://www.akingslife.com/2011/12/belize-the-most-expensive-internet-in-the-world/
    >
    >http://fainegreenwood.com/2012/06/15/5-places-where-internet-access-is-really-expensive-un-dispatch/
    >Tony




    Nothing at all to do with the Western World, please post some real info.
     
    Frank Williams, Jun 15, 2012
    #14
  15. William Brown

    JohnO Guest

    On Jun 15, 11:28 am, "Katipo" <> wrote:
    > > Why do we need Ultra fast Broadband when we have such a poor Internet
    > > service here with very low caps..
    > > Like the Telescum flyer that was in the mail to day 30Gb + Phone Modem
    > > $95, when Telstra Clear is offering 40Gb + Phone Modem for $75

    >
    > Exactly what are people doing online to need that much capacity anyway?
    >
    > I am a web developer, but I still don't use anything like the 40Gb my
    > telecom account was doubled to (at no extra cost) recently.


    Multimedia - movies mainly, followed by music.
     
    JohnO, Jun 15, 2012
    #15
  16. William Brown

    Gordon Guest

    On 2012-06-14, Donchano <> wrote:
    >
    > On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 16:15:03 +1200, William Brown <>
    > shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >
    >
    > Crossposting WHY?
    >
    >>Why do we need Ultra fast Broadband when we have such a poor Internet
    >>service here with very low caps..

    >
    > Nym-shifting. WHY?


    Let us readers of this of accept this.

    >
    >>Like the Telescum flyer that was in the mail to day 30Gb + Phone Modem
    >>$95, when Telstra Clear is offering 40Gb + Phone Modem for $75

    >
    > Guess you didn't see the Telstra Clear fiasco on Fair Go last night.
    > Their service is crap.


    Now, that was about total piss poor service. As in get them connected and
    lets take their $. Who cares about anything else.
     
    Gordon, Jun 15, 2012
    #16
  17. William Brown

    Gordon Guest

    On 2012-06-14, Katipo <> wrote:
    >
    >> Why do we need Ultra fast Broadband when we have such a poor Internet
    >> service here with very low caps..

    >
    >> Like the Telescum flyer that was in the mail to day 30Gb + Phone Modem
    >> $95, when Telstra Clear is offering 40Gb + Phone Modem for $75

    >
    > Exactly what are people doing online to need that much capacity anyway?
    >
    > I am a web developer, but I still don't use anything like the 40Gb my
    > telecom account was doubled to (at no extra cost) recently.
    >

    Like you namesake, Katipo, you need to try doing something else than honking
    for a mate.

    Anyhow, streaming of videos is coming on/out of you line/wallet. All you can
    eat for a $x per month.

    For myself trying out all the Linux distros could eat up 40Gb not problem at
    all. Then there are also the free torrents avaliable.
     
    Gordon, Jun 15, 2012
    #17
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Silverstrand

    Ultra Products Ultra Fire

    Silverstrand, Jun 29, 2005, in forum: Front Page News
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,112
    unholy
    Jun 29, 2005
  2. Prinxce of Darkxness

    Ultra ATA/100 HDD on a Ultra ATA/33 motherboard

    Prinxce of Darkxness, Jan 6, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    2,179
  3. Eberhard Funke

    Sandisk Ultra II, "new" Ultra, "original " Ultra

    Eberhard Funke, Jan 13, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    559
    Eberhard Funke
    Jan 13, 2004
  4. mark popp

    Canon S30 Fast shutter mode... Why so fast?

    mark popp, Feb 7, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    646
    Linda_N
    Feb 8, 2004
  5. cowboyz
    Replies:
    14
    Views:
    903
    cowboyz
    Nov 25, 2004
Loading...

Share This Page