    Could anyone recommend me a good ultra-compact digital camera to buy?
    I want to be able to carry it with me (on my pocket) everyday. So far,
    I'm leaning towards the Canon SD300.
    Newbie, Apr 13, 2005

  2. Newbie

    Roger Guest

    On 13 Apr 2005 05:31:31 -0700, "Newbie" <> wrote:

    >Could anyone recommend me a good ultra-compact digital camera to buy?
    >I want to be able to carry it with me (on my pocket) everyday. So far,
    >I'm leaning towards the Canon SD300.

    I have friends who use the SD300, S100, S400, etc and we all travel
    together on business for one week a month. We get some time for
    pictures, usually on evening walks. The ability to carry these with
    you everywhere is certainly attractive. However it doesn't seem to be
    the do-all to end-all. In some situations they are difficult to hold
    steady, mainly the low light situations. Flash power seems to be
    barely adequate for their use, although for me I rarely use a strobe
    beyond 5 feet or so, and it seems ok to me. Other friends with larger
    hands have opted for the A series cameras, especially since a lot of
    our travel is international and the AA batteries make good sense for
    that situation. The "grip" on those cameras also gives good advantage
    for steady holding.

    I have very large hands and after using the ultra-compact series, I
    opted for something bigger, the s60. I can't say enough good about the
    camera, but it does have the typical P&S failings (e.g. low light
    focus speed, shutter lag, etc.). All livable if you know the
    limitations. The 28mm equiv focal length lens was the primary reason I
    opted for the s60 - the larger size was a plus for me.

    Even with the S60, I find my most frequently used accessory is a
    sturdy pocket tripod. They easily stow away to come out when the sun
    goes down or you know you are going to be in an interior situation. I
    like the sturdy manfrotto tabletop pod.

    On the ultra compacts, if you can keep your fingers from drifting in
    front of the strobe (or lens) and still get a good purchase on the
    camera with a steady two finger squeeze for shutter release - it
    should be a very good companion.

    Regards,
    Roger
    Roger, Apr 13, 2005

  3. Newbie

    irwell Guest

    On 13 Apr 2005 05:31:31 -0700, "Newbie" <> wrote:

    >Could anyone recommend me a good ultra-compact digital camera to buy?
    >I want to be able to carry it with me (on my pocket) everyday. So far,
    >I'm leaning towards the Canon SD300.

    Have a look at the Sony DSC-W1 or W5, has a huge
    LCD screen, a threaded lens housing to adapt extra
    lenses, uses AA batteries, pretty good selection
    of menu options and takes great pictures, also is
    pocketable.
    irwell, Apr 13, 2005
  4. Newbie

    Frank ess Guest

    Newbie wrote:
    > Could anyone recommend me a good ultra-compact digital camera to buy?
    > I want to be able to carry it with me (on my pocket) everyday. So
    > far, I'm leaning towards the Canon SD300.

    My basic carry-with for a couple of years have been Minolta Dimmidge X
    cameras, an Xi and an Xt. They make good snaps and the latter will
    record little movies for as long as your battery, SD card, and patience
    hold out.

    ________________
    I have a lot of photo equipment, but this Xt is the one that gets the
    most use, day in and day out.

    Views of the Xt and its
    predecessor, and some example photos:
    http://www.fototime.com/inv/BC32073BD1DA91E
    http://www.fototime.com/inv/1C358AB540D2CAE
    http://www.fototime.com/inv/D1400EF27A5935D

    First attempt at sharing video from Xt (it's about 3MB; make sure your
    sound is on; Fototime converts the original MOV file to Windows video,
    the orig is still available if you want it; some browsers want you to
    download one player or another, MSIE opens the WinPlayer and awaaaay you
    go):
    http://www.fototime.com/ADEA7BDBA90A1D8/conv.wmv

    --
    Frank ess
    -----------------------------
    Frank ess, Apr 13, 2005
  5. Newbie

    Warren Weber Guest

    "Newbie" <> wrote in message
    > Could anyone recommend me a good ultra-compact digital camera to buy?
    > I want to be able to carry it with me (on my pocket) everyday. So far,
    > I'm leaning towards the Canon SD300.

    Just Bought my wife a Sony DSC-W1. She wanted some thing small to fit in
    purse. Large screen. Light weight, awesome quality. 5 MP. W W
    Warren Weber, Apr 13, 2005
  6. Newbie

    Cathy Guest

    "Warren Weber >>>bresnan.net>" <hiviewNO SPAM@> wrote in message

    > "Newbie" <> wrote in message
    > > Could anyone recommend me a good ultra-compact digital camera to

    buy?
    > > I want to be able to carry it with me (on my pocket) everyday. So

    far,
    > > I'm leaning towards the Canon SD300.
    > >

    > Just Bought my wife a Sony DSC-W1. She wanted some thing small to fit

    in
    > purse. Large screen. Light weight, awesome quality. 5 MP. W W

    Hi, can I butt in here. I considered that camera, but two people I know
    said it took good pictures outside, but had bad red eye problems with
    indoor flash photos. I know red eye can be taken out with software, but
    just wondered what it was like without software.

    Cathy
    Cathy, Apr 13, 2005
  7. Newbie

    irwell Guest

    On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 14:41:59 -0400, "Cathy" <> wrote:

    >"Warren Weber >>>bresnan.net>" <hiviewNO SPAM@> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Newbie" <> wrote in message
    >> > Could anyone recommend me a good ultra-compact digital camera to

    >buy?
    >> > I want to be able to carry it with me (on my pocket) everyday. So

    >far,
    >> > I'm leaning towards the Canon SD300.
    >> >

    >> Just Bought my wife a Sony DSC-W1. She wanted some thing small to fit

    >in
    >> purse. Large screen. Light weight, awesome quality. 5 MP. W W

    >Hi, can I butt in here. I considered that camera, but two people I know
    >said it took good pictures outside, but had bad red eye problems with
    >indoor flash photos. I know red eye can be taken out with software, but
    >just wondered what it was like without software.
    >
    >Cathy

    There is a red eye reduction mode built into the
    camera that can be accessed in the setup menu, just do it the
    one time for all modes.
    irwell, Apr 13, 2005
  8. Newbie

    Cathy Guest

    "irwell" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 14:41:59 -0400, "Cathy" <> wrote:
    >
    > >"Warren Weber >>>bresnan.net>" <hiviewNO SPAM@> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "Newbie" <> wrote in message

    > >buy?

    So
    > >far,
    > >> >
    > >> Just Bought my wife a Sony DSC-W1. She wanted some thing small to

    fit
    > >in
    > >> purse. Large screen. Light weight, awesome quality. 5 MP. W W

    > >Hi, can I butt in here. I considered that camera, but two people I

    know
    > >said it took good pictures outside, but had bad red eye problems with
    > >indoor flash photos. I know red eye can be taken out with software,

    but
    > >just wondered what it was like without software.
    > >
    > >Cathy

    > There is a red eye reduction mode built into the
    > camera that can be accessed in the setup menu, just do it the
    > one time for all modes.

    So presumably the red eye reduction built in mode works well so red eye
    is not a problem when photographing people using indoor flash with this
    camera?

    Cathy
    Cathy, Apr 13, 2005
  9. Newbie

    stormwatcher Guest

    stormwatcher, Apr 13, 2005
  10. Newbie

    David Chien Guest

    Newbie wrote:

    > Could anyone recommend me a good ultra-compact digital camera to buy?
    > I want to be able to carry it with me (on my pocket) everyday. So far,
    > I'm leaning towards the Canon SD300.

    Fine choice. Some of the older Canon's (still excellent) are cheap
    at amazon.com - $150-250! electronics -> digital cameras -> canon

    ---

    lots of other compacts out there from FujiFilm F440/F450, Sony DSC-T
    series, Casio EXILIMs, Pentax Optio, etc. Just a matter of what you're
    looking for in features, etc.

    usual review sites like dcreview.com dpreview.com
    imaging-resource.com steves-digicams.com megapixel.net will have
    reviews of them all.

    ---

    but can't go wrong with a Canon, esp. when their on sale at
    amazon.com prices.
    David Chien, Apr 13, 2005
  11. Newbie

    Archie Guest

    On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 16:25:16 -0400, "Cathy" <> wrote:

    >"irwell" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 14:41:59 -0400, "Cathy" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >"Warren Weber >>>bresnan.net>" <hiviewNO SPAM@> wrote in message

    >> >buy?

    >So
    >> >far,

    >fit
    >> >in
    >> >
    >> >Hi, can I butt in here. I considered that camera, but two people I

    >know
    >> >said it took good pictures outside, but had bad red eye problems with
    >> >indoor flash photos. I know red eye can be taken out with software,

    >but
    >> >just wondered what it was like without software.
    >> >
    >> >Cathy

    >> There is a red eye reduction mode built into the
    >> camera that can be accessed in the setup menu, just do it the
    >> one time for all modes.

    >So presumably the red eye reduction built in mode works well so red eye
    >is not a problem when photographing people using indoor flash with this
    >camera?

    Red eye reduction doesn't work.

    Archie
    Archie, Apr 13, 2005
  12. Newbie

    Cathy Guest

    "Archie" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 16:25:16 -0400, "Cathy" <> wrote:
    >
    > >"irwell" <> wrote in message

    > >So

    > >fit

    > >know

    with

    software,
    > >but

    > >> There is a red eye reduction mode built into the
    > >> camera that can be accessed in the setup menu, just do it the
    > >> one time for all modes.

    > >So presumably the red eye reduction built in mode works well so red

    eye
    > >is not a problem when photographing people using indoor flash with

    this
    > >camera?

    > Red eye reduction doesn't work.

    Archie, I thought I saw a message here before where someone said that
    the built in red eye reduction for this camera did not work very good
    for indoor flash photos of people or maybe it was somewhere else.. Was
    it you by chance who commented here before on this? When you say it
    doesn't work, in your experience, do you mean it works but not very good
    and you've fixed it with software later on?

    Cathy
    Cathy, Apr 13, 2005
  13. Newbie

    ASAAR Guest

    On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 14:41:59 -0400, Cathy wrote:

    > Hi, can I butt in here. I considered that camera, but two people I know
    > said it took good pictures outside, but had bad red eye problems with
    > indoor flash photos. I know red eye can be taken out with software, but
    > just wondered what it was like without software.

    That camera is still sold, but was replaced by the substantially
    similar DSC-W5. Don't count on any camera's anti redeye techniques
    to do a decent job. There's primarily one factor that causes
    cameras to produce redeye. The closer the flash is to the lens, the
    worse it will be. An otherwise very nice camera, the DSC-W#'s have
    their flash tubes very close to the lens so they would be expected
    to produce very noticeable redeye. The best way to minimize redeye
    is to reduce the overall percentage of illumination provided by the
    flash. One way is to maximize a room's lighting. Another is to use
    a supplemental slave flash, which is usually more powerful and would
    be located further from the lens. I think Sony makes one for their
    little P&S's and I know that Canon has one for their small A510 and
    other small cameras (it comes with a mounting bracket). Since
    they're triggered by the camera's built-in flash, anti redeye
    flashes and any other preflashes must be able to be disabled for the
    slave flash to be triggered when the shutter is open. If you want
    to be the only one in a group picture without blazing red eyes, see
    if you can find a pair of dark blue or green contact lenses. :)
    ASAAR, Apr 13, 2005
  14. Newbie

    irwell Guest

    On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 16:25:16 -0400, "Cathy" <> wrote:

    >"irwell" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 14:41:59 -0400, "Cathy" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >"Warren Weber >>>bresnan.net>" <hiviewNO SPAM@> wrote in message

    >> >buy?

    >So
    >> >far,

    >fit
    >> >in
    >> >
    >> >Hi, can I butt in here. I considered that camera, but two people I

    >know
    >> >said it took good pictures outside, but had bad red eye problems with
    >> >indoor flash photos. I know red eye can be taken out with software,

    >but
    >> >just wondered what it was like without software.
    >> >
    >> >Cathy

    >> There is a red eye reduction mode built into the
    >> camera that can be accessed in the setup menu, just do it the
    >> one time for all modes.

    >So presumably the red eye reduction built in mode works well so red eye
    >is not a problem when photographing people using indoor flash with this
    >camera?
    >
    >Cathy

    That is another question, I leave it on all the time
    so I have not really noticed any red-eye when using the
    flash, but most of my pics are outdoor shots.
    irwell, Apr 14, 2005
  15. Newbie

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "Cathy" <> writes:
    > So presumably the red eye reduction built in mode works well so red eye
    > is not a problem when photographing people using indoor flash with this
    > camera?

    Redeye is always a problem with compact digicams if you use the flash.
    It's less severe when the flash is far away from the lens, but it's
    still there. The only way to get rid of it is post processing. The
    redeye reduction features like preflashing the subject tends to do
    nothing but make them squint. Even when they don't squint though,
    there is still redeye.

    The correct solution to redeye is indirect flash, but built-in flashes
    generally can't do that.
    Paul Rubin, Apr 14, 2005
  16. >>>> Could anyone recommend me a good ultra-compact digital camera to buy?

    My Canon SD20 is beyond excellent. Super small; no zoom; no viewfinder;
    fabulous color; wonderfully sharp. Fast, ultra-convenient, and about
    one-third the size of a pack of cigarettes--you forget you have it with you.
    The accessories (extra battery or SD cards) are tiny too. The problem is
    that it is SO small that it is hard to hold the thing steady when you press
    the shutter button. The answer is to always put it on the multiple-shot
    setting, and always take 3 or 4 shots at one long press. This has the
    added advantage of catching a variety of people's motions and expressions,
    and one is always the best of the bunch--and chances are only 25% that the
    first one you would have snapped if only taking one shot would have been the
    one.
    Douglas W. Hoyt, Apr 14, 2005
  17. Newbie

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Cathy wrote:
    > "irwell" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 14:41:59 -0400, "Cathy" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Warren Weber >>>bresnan.net>" <hiviewNO SPAM@> wrote in message

    >>>buy?

    > So
    >
    >>>far,

    > fit
    >
    >>>in

    >>>Hi, can I butt in here. I considered that camera, but two people I

    > know
    >
    >>>said it took good pictures outside, but had bad red eye problems with
    >>>indoor flash photos. I know red eye can be taken out with software,

    > but
    >
    >>>just wondered what it was like without software.
    >>>
    >>>Cathy

    >>There is a red eye reduction mode built into the
    >>camera that can be accessed in the setup menu, just do it the
    >>one time for all modes.

    > So presumably the red eye reduction built in mode works well so red eye
    > is not a problem when photographing people using indoor flash with this
    > camera?
    >
    > Cathy

    Nope. NO camera that has the flash close to the lens is immune to
    red-eye. Most red-eye reduction system don't work well on children who
    react slower to the preflash, and many adults end up squinting, ruining
    the picture beyond even photoshop's ability to save it.

    --
    Ron Hunter
    Ron Hunter, Apr 14, 2005
  18. Newbie

    Cathy Guest

    "ASAAR" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 14:41:59 -0400, Cathy wrote:
    >
    > > Hi, can I butt in here. I considered that camera, but two people I

    know
    > > said it took good pictures outside, but had bad red eye problems

    with
    > > indoor flash photos. I know red eye can be taken out with software,

    but
    > > just wondered what it was like without software.

    > That camera is still sold, but was replaced by the substantially
    > similar DSC-W5.

    There's a DSC-W7 now.

    Don't count on any camera's anti redeye techniques
    > to do a decent job. There's primarily one factor that causes
    > cameras to produce redeye. The closer the flash is to the lens, the
    > worse it will be. An otherwise very nice camera, the DSC-W#'s have
    > their flash tubes very close to the lens so they would be expected
    > to produce very noticeable redeye.

    Yes, thats what I thought but a lot of digital cameras have flashes
    close to the lens. I never have red eye problems with my 35mm. It has
    the press the button half way down first, then the flash, but sometimes
    people don't have patience especially my children who don't like being
    photographed in the first place. I only know of one person who didn't
    mind how long it took to take a photo and that was my mother. She loved
    it and the camera loved her even when she was getting old. I wish I was
    as photogenic.

    The best way to minimize redeye
    > is to reduce the overall percentage of illumination provided by the
    > flash. One way is to maximize a room's lighting. Another is to use
    > a supplemental slave flash, which is usually more powerful and would
    > be located further from the lens. I think Sony makes one for their
    > little P&S's and I know that Canon has one for their small A510 and
    > other small cameras (it comes with a mounting bracket).

    When I was looking at the A510 and A520 reviews, I saw the flash. I
    think I would probably just try to make a room have more light or use
    natural light before it got dark. Or just take the red eye out with
    software later on.

    Since
    > they're triggered by the camera's built-in flash, anti redeye
    > flashes and any other preflashes must be able to be disabled for the
    > slave flash to be triggered when the shutter is open. If you want
    > to be the only one in a group picture without blazing red eyes, see
    > if you can find a pair of dark blue or green contact lenses. :)

    I notice in sample photos I've looked at, that red eye shows up a lot
    more in people with dark brown eyes than people with light blue eyes.
    Its the contrast.

    Cathy
    Cathy, Apr 14, 2005
  19. Newbie

    Cathy Guest

    "irwell" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 16:25:16 -0400, "Cathy" <> wrote:
    >
    > >"irwell" <> wrote in message

    > >So

    > >fit

    > >know

    with

    software,
    > >but

    > >> There is a red eye reduction mode built into the
    > >> camera that can be accessed in the setup menu, just do it the
    > >> one time for all modes.

    > >So presumably the red eye reduction built in mode works well so red

    eye
    > >is not a problem when photographing people using indoor flash with

    this
    > >camera?
    > >
    > >Cathy

    > That is another question, I leave it on all the time
    > so I have not really noticed any red-eye when using the
    > flash, but most of my pics are outdoor shots.

    Most outdoor shots that I've seen samples of, in the last few months,
    look good in almost all digital cameras. Indoor shots with flash tend to
    be more varied results, some have a lot of red eye and others don't have
    much. There is quite a variation.

    Cathy
    Cathy, Apr 14, 2005
  20. Newbie

    Cathy Guest

    "Paul Rubin" <http://> wrote in message
    > "Cathy" <> writes:
    > > So presumably the red eye reduction built in mode works well so red

    eye
    > > is not a problem when photographing people using indoor flash with

    this
    > > camera?

    > Redeye is always a problem with compact digicams if you use the flash.
    > It's less severe when the flash is far away from the lens, but it's
    > still there. The only way to get rid of it is post processing. The
    > redeye reduction features like preflashing the subject tends to do
    > nothing but make them squint. Even when they don't squint though,
    > there is still redeye.

    You're probably right. After processing is probably best. Seems strange
    that you can actually eliminate red eye with software after the photo
    has been taken.

    Why is red eye more or a problem than in 35 mm indoor flashes. My 35mm
    camera which was just a cheap camera but takes great pictures, never
    seems to have red eye, or if it does, it is nothing like some of the
    samples I've seen of some digital cameras.

    > The correct solution to redeye is indirect flash, but built-in flashes
    > generally can't do that.

    It might help if the flash is not too close to the lens, but often it
    is. Seems to me you have to choose the most important things you want
    and you may not be able to get everything you want.

    Cathy
    Cathy, Apr 14, 2005